Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #1141
TheLandYacht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Even worse, it seems they drive as though it's not just assumed people will get out of the way...but that they're somehow required to.

How many times (either on 2 wheels or 4) have you been passed in a "merge" situation by someone in the lane that's ending who wants to get all the way up to (and many times well past) the merge point before they push their way into the line of traffic that's been (im)patiently waiting for their turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sink View Post
On the interstate don't ride the right lane. Idiots that aren't paying attention will say, wow thats my exit and cut across the lanes sometimes,and people getting on usually just pull on withoutlooking, figuring other drivers will make way
TheLandYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #1142
TheLandYacht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch308 View Post
Sounds like you might like this one too..."A plan is a list of all of the things that won't be happening that day."
How about "Life is what happens while we're making other plans"
TheLandYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #1143
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Loud pipes, an aftermarket horn and hi-viz won't reduce the risk of loss of life or injury if that's all you rely on.

Watch the car ahead of you, and the one ahead of that, and the one ahead of that. And the one behind you.

Own your lane - it's yours to use so don't ride in the gutter - aim slightly left of centre.

Horse shit on the road is to be avoided, so are the horses you'll find around the next bend.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #1144
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Loud pipes, an aftermarket horn and hi-viz won't reduce the risk of loss of life or injury if that's all you rely on.

Watch the car ahead of you, and the one ahead of that, and the one ahead of that. And the one behind you.

Own your lane - it's yours to use so don't ride in the gutter - aim slightly left of centre.

Horse shit on the road is to be avoided, so are the horses you'll find around the next bend.
+1 on that.

my bike has a rubbish horn, now as a fixed silencer so it not to loud, plus i only wear my hi-viz gear if i ride in fog.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #1145
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
+1 on that.

my bike has a rubbish horn, now as a fixed silencer so it not to loud, plus i only wear my hi-viz gear if i ride in fog.
So, you'd wear the hi-viz every day
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #1146
GMJinARK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
New to the forums so I'm not familiar with all the acronyms.

Please tell me what ATGATT means.

Thanks.
GMJinARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #1147
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJinARK View Post

Thanks.
all the gear all the time.

only fools ride with out helmets and gear.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #1148
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJinARK View Post

Thanks.
I'm afraid of my bike.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #1149
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I'm afraid of my bike.
Me too. Mostly when I'm riding it, but sometimes I think I catch it giving me evil looks as I walk past.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #1150
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,392
It is *very* important to intall the c-clip correctly on your drive-chain!!

a couple months ago I was eating up a wicked soft sand hill. I lost all power and the engine screamed to the moon for a second. looked down, no chain! found it on the side of the trail, nothing damage just the master link came undone.

getting it down from the hill was a PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #1151
GMJinARK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
all the gear all the time.

only fools ride with out helmets and gear.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a firm believer in having the proper gear. And spend the money for the best that you can afford.
GMJinARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #1152
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Me too. Mostly when I'm riding it, but sometimes I think I catch it giving me evil looks as I walk past.
Dangerous items. Guns too. Just the other day, a friend of mine's rifle got annoyed at something, broke out of the safe, loaded itself and shot out a streetlight. He will have to compensate the city $500 for repairs.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1153
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Dangerous items. Guns too. Just the other day, a friend of mine's rifle got annoyed at something, broke out of the safe, loaded itself and shot out a streetlight. He will have to compensate the city $500 for repairs.
The street light was asking for it in my opinion. Bastards, all of 'em.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #1154
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Laugh Filling the gas tank

As a total noob, here's what I learned about filling the gasoline tank on a motorcycle. Fortunately, I read lots of embarrassing stories so I didn't have to learn the embarrassing/painful/expensive way.

1. Get close to the pump.
2. Put your kickstand down.
3. Shut off your bike and open up the gas cap using your key.
4. Carefully put the gas cap down on something clean (or key side down) where it won't fall and roll away.
5. If you have a tank bag, you might want to remove it until you've filled your tank a couple times so you're sure you won't spray or dribble gas on it. Along this line, you may want to stand off the bike while filling it until you're sure you won't spill gas on your seat area - guys have reported gas in the undies is very painful.
6. Reset trip odometer if you don't have a gas tank guage.
7. Watch closely as you pump the gas in - unlike filling a car, you'll have to hold the handle the whole time. The flow should automatically shut off if the tip of the nozzle starts to get covered in gas. If it has a fuel vapor recovery slinky sleeve, you may need to crinkle it up with your non-filling hand so you can see how full the tank is.
8. Fill the tank almost full but leave a little room at the top so you don't accidentally overfill it, or slosh it if you bump your bike.
9. Slowly pull the nozzle out and give it a tiny shake to get any loose drops off so you don't dribble on your bike (or tank bag). Some people have recommended carrying a small towel to wipe any spills off the bike's finish.
10. Securely refasten the gas tank cap. Replace tank bag. Double check that you reset the trip odometer.

Besides paying for the gas and taking the time to have a little stretch and walk around, please let me know if I missed anything! I don't have an experienced rider to learn from, so I read a lot and some things I had to find out just through experience and asking around. Someone out there probably didn't know all this either - hope this helps!

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #1155
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Laugh

Watch out for puddles of the slippy stuff left by cagers who obviously have tons of money to waste, throwing gas on the forecourt floor ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
As a total noob, here's what I learned about filling the gasoline tank on a motorcycle. Fortunately, I read lots of embarrassing stories so I didn't have to learn the embarrassing/painful/expensive way.

1. Get close to the pump.
2. Put your kickstand down.
3. Shut off your bike and open up the gas cap using your key.
4. Carefully put the gas cap down on something clean (or key side down) where it won't fall and roll away.
5. If you have a tank bag, you might want to remove it until you've filled your tank a couple times so you're sure you won't spray or dribble gas on it. Along this line, you may want to stand off the bike while filling it until you're sure you won't spill gas on your seat area - guys have reported gas in the undies is very painful.
6. Reset trip odometer if you don't have a gas tank guage.
7. Watch closely as you pump the gas in - unlike filling a car, you'll have to hold the handle the whole time. The flow should automatically shut off if the tip of the nozzle starts to get covered in gas. If it has a fuel vapor recovery slinky sleeve, you may need to crinkle it up with your non-filling hand so you can see how full the tank is.
8. Fill the tank almost full but leave a little room at the top so you don't accidentally overfill it, or slosh it if you bump your bike.
9. Slowly pull the nozzle out and give it a tiny shake to get any loose drops off so you don't dribble on your bike (or tank bag). Some people have recommended carrying a small towel to wipe any spills off the bike's finish.
10. Securely refasten the gas tank cap. Replace tank bag. Double check that you reset the trip odometer.

Besides paying for the gas and taking the time to have a little stretch and walk around, please let me know if I missed anything! I don't have an experienced rider to learn from, so I read a lot and some things I had to find out just through experience and asking around. Someone out there probably didn't know all this either - hope this helps!
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote