Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #1456
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
So, after telling my boyfriend I signed up for the Msf course, all was good until yesterday, I had some things to do after work so I asked the bf to please take the bike, get an inspection, send off title and get a tag, he ever so kindly agreed to do it only to get into the garage and attempt to crank my bike and realize she is having trouble starting/idling...AGAIN. The man I bought her from said she had cold start issues but they are nothing like the pain in the butt this has become. Im wanting to practice and take the course and start riding and my bike is just like NO. My boyfriend took out the carbs, cleaned them, replaced the oil filter and changed the oil and quite a few other things and she ran fine, started right up and everything was dandy, next morning she is at again. Not wanting to start or when she does, idle is a no no, unless you baby the throttle. I was so excited to get her but it's becoming a downer that every time I go to do ANYTHING with her, I can't. : right now my carb is taking a pine sol bath in hopes that it cleans out whatever we possibly missed. Lots of little black stuff down in it, so im hoping that was the issue? As someone who knows pretty much nothing of motorcycle mechanics, i'm not too trusting of anything I THINK is going to work. I'm between bring sad and getting REALLY frustrated. ghead:

I'm open to suggestions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #1457
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,650
The "Lots of little black stuff down in it" is most likely the fuel line disintegrating. That would explain why it keeps showing up and plugging your idle jets even though "boyfriend took out the carbs, cleaned them". One of the first things I do on any new to me vehicle is replace the fuel lines (belts, hoses, etc) ASAP.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #1458
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 461
could also be crap in the tank...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #1459
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
could also be crap in the tank...
Negative ghostrider. Hopefully we'll have it back together today and see if the pine sol bath and carbon cleaner helped.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #1460
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,701
The pilot jet is very small, if you don't have an inline fuel filter, get your SO to install one while he's replacing the fuel line (mentioned above).

From ProCycle

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #1461
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The pilot jet is very small, if you don't have an inline fuel filter, get your SO to install one while he's replacing the fuel line (mentioned above).

From ProCycle
We actually already did that, no luck. ghead:

Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #1462
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimearhart View Post
No matter the situation ALWAYS ALWAYS have an exit or emergency escape plan in your mind, you have no idea what can happen unexpectedly in the next second or two - Car in wrong lane, flat tire, animal etc etc etc.....
Couldn΄t agree more. What΄s written above here, is one of the most important things that you need in order to survive. Always stay one step ahead, that means you have an alternative plan, if (or when) something unexpected happens.

And I΄m not saying you should always go very slowly, but do remember that your options (or alternative plans) are reduced, as speed increases.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #1463
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolpilot View Post
Don't tailgate. It is recommended to keep 2 seconds behind the vehicle ahead. I prefer 4 or more seconds. Just watch the vehicle ahead pass a landmark and count one thousand one, one thousand two and so on. If you get passed and that vehicle takes up your cushion space, slow and open it up again. I do the same in cars.
When following a vehicle on a two way street or one with intersections, the distance a motorcycle should leave to the vehicle ahead should be much more than if you're driving a car. If you ride at a normal car distance, a car coming in the opposite direction wanting to turn across the traffic, or waiting at a side intersection to enter or cross the traffic, can really only see the larger vehicle in front of you. If it is a truck you are following you will definitely be totally hidden. They will think there is nothing there and turn across straight into you.

Traffic lights are particularly problematic where cars want to hot-foot it turning across a break in the traffic. You should leave a large enough gap so that you are clearly visible to vehicles ahead without the car or truck you are following hiding you in anyway what so ever. Behind a large vehicle this can be quite a gap you need to maintain, anything up to 3 or 4 normal car distances back.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #1464
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Limit your time riding when you first start out.

When you are a new rider limit the duration of your rides for a few months. Initially, after 30 minutes your concentration will start to slip. Later, after an hour or two your concentration will start to slip.

Actually, I have been riding for years and I still don't like road rides that last more than 3 -4 hours. I often make 1 stupid mistake after I ride for 3 hours. Even if I take a short break every hour, the ability to ALWAYS compensate for others' stupid moves seems to deteriorate after a few hours.

One time I missed a red light and almost ran it. Another time I passed stopped vehicles on the right to go ahead and turn right…. I should have waited till the light turned green.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #1465
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Anything I should know/consider before buying gear? I want safe but budget friendly, not sure if those go hand in hand but we'll see.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #1466
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Anything I should know/consider before buying gear? I want safe but budget friendly, not sure if those go hand in hand but we'll see.

Price out everything before you start buying. Visit your local shops and look through their clearance racks. Some shops offer a discount for having taken MSF course. Try things on before buying.

Your riding style and conditions should influence your purchasing decisions. Leather provides the best protection, but isn't as comfortable as textile or mesh in the heat. Also think about the visibility of the gear. Textile often comes in Hi-Viz and leather does not, but you can always throw on a $10 reflective safety vest.

Do some searches on the web for "gear crash reviews" and "leather vs textile".
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #1467
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,509
Go to the Flea Market.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #1468
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post

JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #1469
brakedw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
When in doubt fill up the tank! Or your msr fuel bottle is no help in the garage!

So last Sunday I went for a group ride through the mountains and covered about 220 miles. By the end my fuel light had been on awhile and I was in a hurry to get home so I pushed my range limit and got home without a problem. At the time I had a msr fuel bottle on me in case I ran out. Well I had not ridden all week and decided to ride to work just to pick something up. I left my panniers and fuel bottle I the garage because my first stop was going to be a gas station a half mile away. I briefly thought of dumping my fuel bottle in the tank but really how much gas to you need to go 1/2 mile? Well apparently more than I had because I ran out at the bottom of a small hill 1/4 mile from my fuel bottle:(
My wife was kind enough to bring me my fuel bottle without calling me stupid ( but I could see it in her eyes) so when gas is all around don't push your range
brakedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #1470
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedw View Post
So last Sunday I went for a group ride through the mountains and covered about 220 miles. By the end my fuel light had been on awhile and I was in a hurry to get home so I pushed my range limit and got home without a problem. At the time I had a msr fuel bottle on me in case I ran out. Well I had not ridden all week and decided to ride to work just to pick something up. I left my panniers and fuel bottle I the garage because my first stop was going to be a gas station a half mile away. I briefly thought of dumping my fuel bottle in the tank but really how much gas to you need to go 1/2 mile? Well apparently more than I had because I ran out at the bottom of a small hill 1/4 mile from my fuel bottle:(
My wife was kind enough to bring me my fuel bottle without calling me stupid ( but I could see it in her eyes) so when gas is all around don't push your range
What were the odds?!