ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #196
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...hint ...avitar
Oddometer: 2,459
HAMMOND'S BBQ IN GLEN ROSE ...This time for sure

Went to Hammond's today....THEY WERE OPEN...!!!

Had the usual "child's plate" $7.50 w/a rib & some briskit + 2 sides & toast

RIB...nice n meaty with a good flavor ...maybe just a shade dry though
STILL VERY GOOD

Brisket...5 slices...plenty to eat...good flavor but kinda dry.....left last piece on the plate XXX!

Big ol bowl o beans & a good side salad.

PEANUT BUTTER PIE....CAUTION !!! LARGE SLICES !!! split it if ya aint hungry enough!! ....IT'S GOOD!!! ...no coconut today...

A WORD OR 2 ON BBQ SAUCES...

I don't know what it is with these guys sauce (Coyote too) but I just don't care for it that much.Kinda like Michna's in Waco. I like the sauce at Schoepf's in Belton MUCH BETTER. Uncle Dan's in Waco...too heavy. Hard Eight Stephenville..almost right but not quite... Cooper's in Llano....that's NOT sauce..it's juice......Our family's secret BBQ sauce is hard to beat. I did find 1 place in Salado several years back with sauce uncannily similar to the family secret sauce.....THEN THE PLACE SOLD!!!! Next time I went there...NOTHING THE SAME!!
DANG!!
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 06:38 PM
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #197
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck
 
ghostrider1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Heart of Texas
Oddometer: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch
Went to Hammond's today....THEY WERE OPEN...!!!

Had the usual "child's plate" $7.50 w/a rib & some briskit + 2 sides & toast

RIB...nice n meaty with a good flavor ...maybe just a shade dry though
STILL VERY GOOD

Brisket...5 slices...plenty to eat...good flavor but kinda dry.....left last piece on the plate XXX!

Big ol bowl o beans & a good side salad.

PEANUT BUTTER PIE....CAUTION !!! LARGE SLICES !!! split it if ya aint hungry enough!! ....IT'S GOOD!!! ...no coconut today...


A WORD OR 2 ON BBQ SAUCES...

I don't know what it is with these guys sauce (Coyote too) but I just don't care for it that much.Kinda like Michna's in Waco. I like the sauce at Schoepf's in Belton MUCH BETTER. Uncle Dan's in Waco...too heavy. Hard Eight Stephenville..almost right but not quite... Cooper's in Llano....that's NOT sauce..it's juice......Our family's secret BBQ sauce is hard to beat. I did find 1 place in Salado several years back with sauce uncannily similar to the family secret sauce.....THEN THE PLACE SOLD!!!! Next time I went there...NOTHING THE SAME!!
DANG!!
Most of them use store sauces maybe doctored a bit...I make a good sauce with bourbon in it
__________________
2008 R1200 GSA (Ghostrider) , ?
"Fuck'em. I'm a lifer. " SlowOldGuy
"The older I get, the faster I was", HardyBaker
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #198
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Most of them use store sauces maybe doctored a bit...I make a good sauce with bourbon in it
I hear this all the time, so you're gonna have to prove it.

I have a buddy that claims to make an excellent brisket and ribs. Has photos of it on his phone. It got to the point that I was tired of hearing how great his food was, but never actually getting to taste it. In fact, it turned out that nobody I ever talked with had actually tasted his BBQ. I started referring to it as the great "BBQ Myth". He's finally inviting a group of us to his house in early October to sample his Q and watch the Aggie's attempt to play some football. I already know that I'm gonna hear "it didn't come out so good this time..."

So, before you go off and start bragging on you Q or sauce or something be aware that I will call BS and I will ask for proof of these claims. I'll also give you credit if it is really great...

I have to agree with the fine folks in Lockhart though, Really great Q needs no sauce.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #199
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck
 
ghostrider1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Heart of Texas
Oddometer: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I hear this all the time, so you're gonna have to prove it.

I have a buddy that claims to make an excellent brisket and ribs. Has photos of it on his phone. It got to the point that I was tired of hearing how great his food was, but never actually getting to taste it. In fact, it turned out that nobody I ever talked with had actually tasted his BBQ. I started referring to it as the great "BBQ Myth". He's finally inviting a group of us to his house in early October to sample his Q and watch the Aggie's attempt to play some football. I already know that I'm gonna hear "it didn't come out so good this time..."

So, before you go off and start bragging on you Q or sauce or something be aware that I will call BS and I will ask for proof of these claims. I'll also give you credit if it is really great...

I have to agree with the fine folks in Lockhart though, Really great Q needs no sauce.
I have a new pitt under construction. Gonna move the old one to the farm, might need to plan a weekend farm bender Q
__________________
2008 R1200 GSA (Ghostrider) , ?
"Fuck'em. I'm a lifer. " SlowOldGuy
"The older I get, the faster I was", HardyBaker
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #200
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...hint ...avitar
Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I have to agree with the fine folks in Lockhart though, Really great Q needs no sauce.
This is DEFINATELY true.....but I do like it as an enhancement......
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #201
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...hint ...avitar
Oddometer: 2,459
NOT Q ..but still worth mentionin...

A good friend & I stopped in at the (CORRECTION) ..Stockyard Steakhouse in Gatesville yesterday.Most folks who've been thru Gatesville in the past 10 years will remember the place as Andy's. It was sold & became The County Seat for a short while,but is now refurbished & a pretty decent place...

(All I can comment on right now is the buffet). Priced around $11 for ALL YOU WANT (or $9 for 1 meat)..it has a wide meat selection + sides/salads. I had some tasty thick sliced ham,a little brisket & some grilled talipia.They also had the old standby CFS(just avg as rated by Skip),some pretty good lookin fried pork chops,roast beef + fried & baked chicken.

Sides were a wide variety of salads,potatoes(sweet & mashed),brown beans,2 diff veggie mixes & some pasta.Dessert (peach cobbler w/ice cream)was also incl.

I'll try em again....The breakfast menu looked a bit pricey..but not too out of line.It also had a buffet.
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 07:24 AM
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #202
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,218
I think I stopped at the County Seat when I was passing that way a couple of years ago. It was just so-so. You say they have a buffet now? I'll be going that way in the next couple of weeks. I likes buffets.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #203
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,686
If you are in the area in a couple of weeks you should try and stop by the Texas Roll the Bones Rally outside Hamilton, TX. There is a Friday run for some excellent Texas BBQ to Loco Coyote. Should be a great event.

Check out the info. in the Texas area ADV site.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #204
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,218
Two words describe my next Tex trip: wife & SUV
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #205
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...hint ...avitar
Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
I think I stopped at the County Seat when I was passing that way a couple of years ago. It was just so-so. You say they have a buffet now? I'll be going that way in the next couple of weeks. I likes buffets.
I corrected the name to Stockyard Steakhouse....still good buffet though..
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #206
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
I think I stopped at the County Seat when I was passing that way a couple of years ago. It was just so-so. You say they have a buffet now? I'll be going that way in the next couple of weeks. I likes buffets.
If you're into lots of quality for little $, check out Loco Coyote when you're passing through. Only open Friday pm, Sat, and Sunday lunch its good eats.

Its good to call before you go. Sometimes they close for vacations, etc. Its one of those country places where when the family is out, they just close rather than deal with the headaches of letting non-family run it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #207
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,341
But be warned, if you do stop at Loco , don't be in a hurry. It's on the top of my list ....and I love the place ......but it can be a long wait after you sit down, and sometimes to sit down, too. IMO, not a place to grab a quick lunch. More of a destination in and of itself.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #208
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck
 
ghostrider1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Heart of Texas
Oddometer: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
But be warned, if you do stop at Loco , don't be in a hurry. It's on the top of my list ....and I love the place ......but it can be a long wait after you sit down, and sometimes to sit down, too. IMO, not a place to grab a quick lunch. More of a destination in and of itself.
AMEN! But worth the wait...grab a beer and chill
__________________
2008 R1200 GSA (Ghostrider) , ?
"Fuck'em. I'm a lifer. " SlowOldGuy
"The older I get, the faster I was", HardyBaker
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #209
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
But be warned, if you do stop at Loco , don't be in a hurry. It's on the top of my list ....and I love the place ......but it can be a long wait after you sit down, and sometimes to sit down, too. IMO, not a place to grab a quick lunch. More of a destination in and of itself.
Yeah, it ain't the local Dairy Queen, but that's a good thing.

How much of a hurry can I guy be if he drives down from Michigan?

Oh and Exoff, ask here for directions if you're going 'cause its not exactly in town...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #210
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, it ain't the local Dairy Queen, but that's a good thing.

How much of a hurry can I guy be if he drives down from Michigan?

Oh and Exoff, ask here for directions if you're going 'cause its not exactly in town...
Right on brother, aint no hurry. I'm leaving in the morning. I try to stay off of I-35 so I usually take 281 from S.A. to I-20 and if that's the case I'll stop in Stephensville for Q. I already know where Locos is at. I get around.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014