Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #46
ssdan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Whatcha gonna do? Too late to ski, too early to ride bike or go for much 4X4 ing. What part of Colorado?
Durango area,

gonna relax, chase the wife around some, take a train ride, ride around the scenic routes, may rent a Jeep, undecided on that one. Never been to that area, so we are just going to wing it.
ssdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #47
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Since you are in the area, I would recommend a ride up to Ouray for a nice soak in the natural hot springs on the north end of town. Besides the road is one of the best mtn. roads in the US.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #48
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,322
That's one of my favorite stomping grounds. Been there a bunch. You'll have a ball . You'll wish you had your bike. Whether is iffy this time of year but I've done it earlier than this.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #49
ssdan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
Since you are in the area, I would recommend a ride up to Ouray for a nice soak in the natural hot springs on the north end of town. Besides the road is one of the best mtn. roads in the US.
sounds great!! my wife loves that stuff we may look into that!

Thanks!!
ssdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #50
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Just for you info. There is a nice place in Ouray called Box Canyon Lodge that has on-site hot tubs on the mtn. side. Great place to stay when in the area.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #51
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,534
BUNKHOUSE BBQ Clifton....UPDATE REVIEW

BIGDAVEGS, FLY-75, and I went to Bunkhouse today for lunch. Not my fav but its Q and they were having their "blue plate special" $7.50 all you can eat Q! So I decided this deserved a second look

1)RIBS: pretty tasty and fresh 6.5
2)BRISKET: MAjor improvement from last visit!!! 8 x2(flyby75 says 8 too)
3)SAUSAGE: GOOD, nothing to write home about, but not the worse: 5
4)PORK LOIN: PRETTY GOOD, would eat again... 7

NEWSFLASH: They now have beer
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #52
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Mueller's 2nd time around

Went to Mueller's in Taylor on Thursday. I got there about 11:25, dropped my stuff at a table and was about 5th in line. By the time I got my food and paid my bill the line stretched to the door (20 or 30 people I guess). I had good timing. Way at the back of the line was JohnDavid, his son and his friend Gene (I hope I spelled/remembered this correctly). NEVER GO TO MUELLER'S EXPECTING TO GET IN AND OUT FAST. This ain't fast food people. They hand cut every order and the guy that does it is very nice (ie, doesn't sling the food at you). So it takes a little time to get through the line. My first visit I started just inside the door and it took 45 minutes.

As per usual the food was great and I had ordered way too much. I had the brisket (the lean end this visit), a beef rib, and 3 pork ribs.

The lean end brisket is really good. They ask when you order if you want the lean or moist end of the brisket. The rub used on the brisket and beef rib is a salt and pepper rub and they use a good amount. I like this, so I like the flavor. The sauce is a low viscosity type that is beefy and tomatoey at the same time. Because its thin, it doesn't drench the meat, but instead helps moisturize it. IMHO, excellent BBQ shouldn't need any sauce, so I favor this type of lite sauce over the heavy and sweeter "ketch-up" style sauces. I'd rate the lean end brisket a solid 8.

Beef ribs by their nature are a well marbled meat. With that rub and the bone in flavor I think beef ribs are my new favorite BBQ cut of meat. These were great and I'd give them a 9.

The pork ribs used a different rub, which is good cause the pepper rub would have overpowered them. They were good, but not great = 6 or 7.

I've eaten here twice and I've had a good visit each time. Its impressive.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 07:34 PM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #53
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

City Market in Luling

I ate at the City Market in Luling today. Right by the door is a little parking spot that is too small for anything but a motorcycle, so I parked right in the front row and entered. It looks like a market when you walk in but go to the back and you go out another door to the pit part of the restaurant and order your meat. They only have 3 kinds of meat here: brisket, pork ribs, and sausage (called hot rings here). There are only 3 things on the menu, so can someone please tell me how it took this one women 5 minutes to order her food. Of course, she had to be on the phone during part of this time. Not only did she take forever, she also took that last of the brisket. Bitch!

So I got 3 pork ribs and two hot rings. For sides they also use the freedom from choice method again - Beans and potato salad. I'm generally a slaw man, but here I took what they had. I was thirsty and wanted some tea. The only tea they have is made with nutra-sweet and lemon. I put neither of these in my tea, so I passed and got a beer instead. The sauce is a little hot sauce type bottle of this orangish sauce. Because it was in a hot sauce bottle, it kept you from putting too much on. It was a subtle sauce that did enhance the meat's favor yet didn't overpower.

Well, If you can only do a few tricks, you better do them well. And they do here. The ribs were really the standout here. Perhaps a 7 or 8 on the scale. These are waaay above average and the most tender ribs I've had on this trip so far.

The sausage was also good. I seldom get or use the sausage as a indicator of a good BBQ place because its so easy to cook and so much of the flavor is dependent of the sausage maker - which is seldom the restaurant. So I'm not going to rate it here.

Once again, I had ok timing - while I missed the last of the brisket by 1 person, the line exploded while I was getting my beer.

Overall I'd rate this a good experience. I like it when restaurants branch out and offer something a little different. Here they didn't, but they covered the basics really well. If I was passing through Luling, I'd eat here again, but I don't know if I'd go too far out of my way for it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #54
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Thanks Dahveed...great report I have ate City Market at Lulings but not Muellers and your rating is pretty close to my recollection of City Market when I was there. I was going to eat there again to refresh my recollection
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #55
SkinnyTiger
Adventurer Princess

Oddometer: 15
A vote for Loco Coyote

I made my first trip to Loco Coyote today - I have to agree that the ribs are and OMG 9.5!!!! and the brisket melts in your mouth. LOTS of food and a great location. Awesome roads to and from this great little BBQ place nestled in the country. We were the only ADVers there - but everyone was super friendly. Not on the BBQ or Beer list - but the Blackberry cobbler was fabulous too. Definitely worthy of a return visit or two, or three.......

Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
SkinnyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #56
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

You did good, ST. I gave my last two ribs to the nephews when I got back. And they put on a new POS tire for me. WooHoo!!What a deal.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #57
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
You did good, ST. I gave my last two ribs to the nephews when I got back. And they put on a new POS tire for me. WooHoo!!What a deal.
Amazing what a man will do for a rib Did you see Rocky Mountain Cycle has Tourances for $218 a set delivered...going to order some in the morning...No more Shitcos for me
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #58
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Photographic Evidence...

At Louie Mueller's in Taylor Texas. On the left is a beef rib, the right is the lean brisket. Far left (almost out of the pic) is a pork rib. Yum!

'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #59
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
At Louie Mueller's in Taylor Texas. On the left is a beef rib, the right is the lean brisket. Far left (almost out of the pic) is a pork rib. Yum!

I didn't have breakfast this morning....this is torture
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #60
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Nice little BBQ blog. http://manuptexasbbq.blogspot.com/20...pork-chop.html