Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #646
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
What time?
You missed out BTW!!!
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #647
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
You missed out BTW!!!
Yeah. Got stuck at work. Dang it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #648
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,457
Back to Miller's BBQ....on Friday this time.....RIBS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
I stopped in at Miller's in Belton today. Was gonna go to Schoepf's but passin by 2nd & Penelope I noticed the smell & that they were still open at 2:30 (they usually run out & close by then).
They were outta a bunch o stuff incl ribs so I had a plate with just about the last of the brisket & some of their jalapeno sausage (that they make)

The brisket was several pieces of lean cut & a couple of the fattier cuts. The fatty did have the most flavor & wasn't too fatty. The lean was cooked with a nice smoke ring & good flavor too.

I had the Jalapeno sausage that is made by them. Real good flavor on this....I'll definately get some next time I'm there. Maybe try the regular too.

Their sauce is a slightly sweet/spicy & not too heavy mix just right for dippin your bread (or Q!) Kept in bottles on the tables. (speakin of which....there aren't too many spots to sit in this small bldg.A couple extra out front though)

The beans didn't seen to have a lot of flavor ...until I got a scoop of some with some juice....Dang that was good. Nice spicy taste to the bean juice too. (maybe the tip is to ask for a bowl instead of on the plate.)

The tater salad was the low man on the totem pole....Not that it was bad or anything...just tasted kinda..."store bought". & I think I remember them sayin it was last time I was there.

Still...overall....a good place to stop in for Que.....If they have some left.
MILLER'S BBQ on 2nd & Penelope in Belton

All I need to do here is add my comments on their ribs......

FLIPPIN GREAT....At least as meaty as the ones at Loco Coyote
...Tender...Moist...Nice flavor that doesn't need sauce...but is augmented by it nicely. ONLY ONE DOWNSIDE..... Come on Friday's if ya want 'em...that's the only day for ribs!!

I did also have some brisket on the 2 meat plate ($10.50 w/ ribs)..& it was just as tasty as before...maybe even more so. BIG THICK SLICES...& again...the sauce.

Lastly..The beans were better this time...good spicy flavor..& juicy.

Miller's has purchased a building on Main St & will be renovating/moving within the next year ...hopefully. It'll be a much larger place able to hold the larger crowds that will surely show up on a well travelled street.

I'm Hooked

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #649
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,099
Been nibblin' on the brisket I brought home from LC. Finished the last of it last night.

Hard times.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #650
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Been nibblin' on the brisket I brought home from LC. Finished the last of it last night.

Hard times.
Make the short ride up to Belton for some Miller's Q.....Not the Coyote....but in it's own right....RIGHT

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #651
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
What did yall think of Circle V in Goldwaithe?
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #652
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

New Q spot in McGregor..... Coach's BBQ

Gonna head over to the new BBQ place in McGregor that just opened. COACH'S BBQ on Hwy 84 next to the Coffee Shop.

I'll let ya'll kno how it was........

AFTER "MEATING" AT COACHS..........similar serving style to Cooper's/Hard 8/Schoepf's.....without the "FREE" beans ....but they do have "beverages" available... Large eatin area with picnic tables ..a mix of tall tables/stools & lunch bar....Roll up clear curtains on the side patio.

This was only their 2nd day open so I'm gonna reserve any further comments until I go back in a couple of weeks. I will say the meat was tender & juicy but don't expect ribs the size of LCs.

UPDATE: 2nd trip 1/2lb of Brisket & tater salad.....The brisket still didn't have a bunch of flavor by itself but with the sauce it was tasty. I got cuts off of a fresh from the pit brisket with some nice bark (not much smoke ring though). I understand they use pecan wood when cookin. The meat was a bit drier this time ...but also much leaner.
The potato salad was definately made there...not from a store. Pretty creamy white mayo style with good ratio of ingredients. Decent serving size.

Another trip might be in order......still haven't tried the chicken.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 07:13 PM
Old 12-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #653
TxRoadWhore
ADVstrom

Oddometer: 48
I Stoped at Coach's BBQ in McGreggor tonight an had the ribs an brisket. I was not imprest at all. Ok, it sucked! I hate to down anyones business but it was the worst BBQ I have had in a loooong time. It's to bad too, so close to home an a really nice building. The meat is oven cooked witch make the meat flavorless an soggy. An it cost 20.16 $ American. Wow! For that price I want Coopers quality!! In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, that's all I've got to say about that.
TxRoadWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #654
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
Aaack!! Maybe the sausage or chicken is good.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #655
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
There is a small BBQ joint about an hour north of the Red River in Lawton, OK that I dare say is THE BEST BBQ I have ever had. And I am a self proclaimed BBQ nut. Before you read any further, I will tell you I am not a fan of The Salt Lick. Not bad BBQ, but over priced, over rated, and under staffed. Just my 2 cents.

The place I speak of is called John and Cooks BBQ. It's been in business since 1936 or so. No pics, as I haven't been there lately with a camera handy, but its the full meal deal too, not just one good type of meat. The sides are home made and awesome. Its a smaller older place, no fancy building. Most of the chairs don't match and there might be a sticky spot of BBQ sauce on the table so watch your sleeve. But the food is unbelievable.

Ribs 9 out of 10. Almost fall of the bone tender, great seasoning. Stupid good. Would give it a 10 if they weren't so damn far away!

Brisket- 9 out of 10. Fork tender, slow cooked over a wood fire. Lightly seasoned with good smoke flavor.

Pulled Pork- 10 out of 10. Yep, straight A! Stupid good. Tender, good smoke flavor, with just a touch of their sauce.

Sauce- Yes I made a new category... sauce. This sauce is what everyone else tries to make but falls short. See the riots in the middle east? Their not mad about poor governments being run by dictators. They are pissed they can't get this sauce there. It's a thicker sweeter hickory flavored sauce. Not a thinner vinegar or mustard based sauce. (those can be great too thou!) Has a slight hint of smoke, brown sugar, and black pepper to it. They don't bottle it, but have it in squeeze bottles on the table.

I don't care for sausage, so no rating, but they do have some awesome Red Hot Links here too. Spicy, they are great cut up with the brisket and a light drizzle of sauce to pull some of the heat out.

I strongly encourage you to go out of your way and try this joint. It is incredible.

I did'nt even mention the home made buttermilk pies...

Here's the link... http://www.johnandcooksrealpitbbq.com/
I think I found lunch for tomorrow, then a side trip to Mount Scott before returning home.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #656
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Somebody needs to check out a joint in Valera, Texas. Comes highly recommended (Best ever) by some random beer drinking couple from Menard when we stayed in Eola, Texas a few weeks ago. We rode through Valera and the place looked like it was hopping.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #657
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Somebody needs to check out a joint in Valera, Texas. Comes highly recommended (Best ever) by some random beer drinking couple from Menard when we stayed in Eola, Texas a few weeks ago. We rode through Valera and the place looked like it was hopping.
Maybe I'll try this instead tomorrow. Decisions, Decisions.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #658
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Went to John & Cooks today in Lawton, Oklahoma. I got there right when they opened. Had the "Real Pit Platter" for $12.99. Not LC sized portions, but the flavor was great and the sauce was awesome. I am not fussy when it comes to BBQ, so no numbered ratings from me, I really liked the Ribs and pulled pork.

After lunch I took ride up to Mount Scott and through Meers before heading home.

The Ride back down.

Wound being a great day. I had about 420 miles and belly full of tasty BBQ. Life doesn't get much better.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #659
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Looks like a good find.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #660
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
Thanks for sharing . It does look like you had a great day ! I'm jealous.. Did you slab to Lawton or backroads ?

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote