Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #751
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
Ate at Vans BBQ today which is between S.A. and Corpus at exit 65. Most excellent food. Three meat combo of two ribs bones, brisket and sausage link with a scoop of po salad and bland beans came to $8.95. Salt and hot sauce made the beans tasty. Good tea and good service also. If you go there eat in the old front of the restaurant, its grungy and funky. The new addition is kind of like the beans, but at least there is a new wide screen back there.....Joe Cottons BBQ burnt down a couple of years ago but I heard today that one of his employees opened a new place in Corpus near 37.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 04:50 PM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #752
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Floores Store in Helotes was the next stop on my BBQ/wild flower tour of Texas. Sunday is family day at Floores. I think most of the people there came for the beer and free entertainment but the chicken and brisket were good, and cheap. My wifes and my dinner total was only $18 with tea. Floores is a cool old place and is where Willy started out, so they say. The bluebonnets are about gone but the indian blankets and black eyed susans are going strong.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #753
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Man, Goat, you're really stocking up on the Que while in state.

What's the national food of Michigan?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #754
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Man, Goat, you're really stocking up on the Que while in state.

What's the national food of Michigan?
Pasties, the kind you eat, not wear.......To tell you the truth I'm starting to get a little tired of Q. For dinnner today we are going to meet my niece for a nice fat juicy steak at Hermans Sons in Hondo. Me likey their salad bar too. I think we have one more stop for BBQ before crossing the Red River in a few days. The best place for BBQ in Michigan is just outside of Detroit and is called.........Lockharts..................Dan g! Herman Sons is closed on Mondays. Ended up at Azteca in beautiful downtown Hondo for chicken fried chicken. All the food at Azteca is good. Be careful if the old gal at the cash register is figuring your bill though. Her math skills are worse than mine.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 07:14 AM
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #755
Jbay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
what about Lums in Junction?!!! dam good sausage and brisket plate, they ran out of ribs at the TAR/TAC

also been going to Jaspers in Waco, they pile on the brisket for $6.50 a Waco Tornado - fritos, beans, etc; includes drink

http://jaspersbarbecue.com/
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #756
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbay View Post
what about Lums in Junction?!!! dam good sausage and brisket plate, they ran out of ribs at the TAR/TAC

also been going to Jaspers in Waco, they pile on the brisket for $6.50 a Waco Tornado - fritos, beans, etc; includes drink

http://jaspersbarbecue.com/
I enjoyed Lums. Simmons1 and I rolled into to town around 6:00 or 7:00ish IIRC and he wanted to go straight there. It was good we did because other ADVers were there stuffing their faces with the Q. Had we waited, we might have missed the ribs and brisket again. I ordered the 3 meat combo - ribs, brisket, and turkey. The plate was mounded over with food. Both the ribs and brisket were very good - a solid 8. The turkey was a little dry.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #757
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I enjoyed Lums. Simmons1 and I rolled into to town around 6:00 or 7:00ish IIRC and he wanted to go straight there. It was good we did because other ADVers were there stuffing their faces with the Q. Had we waited, we might have missed the ribs and brisket again. I ordered the 3 meat combo - ribs, brisket, and turkey. The plate was mounded over with food. Both the ribs and brisket were very good - a solid 8. The turkey was a little dry.
I had ribs and sausage. Both were really good and and I was stuffed.

Sent from my Droid
Please excuse any typos
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #758
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
July 14th San Antonio Moto 'Q Fest

LINK

This will be our third straight year putting on the 'Q

Edit: Yes, there will again be brisket, ribs, sausage, & pork butt, done on 3 large pits this year.

tricepilot screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 08:24 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #759
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
LINK

This will be our third straight year putting on the 'Q

Edit: Yes, there will again be brisket, ribs, sausage, & pork butt, done on 3 large pits this year.
I was there last year and it was DAMN GOOD!!! BUT I am not providing the entertainment
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #760
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Looks like I may never make it.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...a-2330725.html
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #761
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,240
With lines like that, Franklin's is not an "experience" that I would enjoy.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #762
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,625
A couple of weeks ago, gravy, grainbelt and I made a weekend visit to the Hill Country. After getting gas during one of the rides, we decided that we would stop at the next BBQ joint we passed. We were in Camp Wood getting gas, went about 150 yards down the road and stopped at 2 Fat Boys BBQ.

A bit of background maybe.

I have been smoking pork for 20+ years. Beef for about 3. In my part of Mn, I make better que than any restaurant. I routinely cook for traveling ADV'ers and have always been pretty proud of what I served.

and then I was humbled.

I ordered the 3 meat plate and had brisket, ribs and sausage. The counter woman asked if I would be interested in dessert. Oh my, I would be, but I will get to that in a bit.

The brisket was sliced off a piece just off the smoker. The bark was the perfect combination of firm, chewy and flavorful. The meat itself was nirvana. Tender, moist and so very flavorful. OMG.

and that was just from the little sample he gave me while he was fixing my plate. He added the ribs to my plate, some to Gravy's plate and gave the end to grainbelt. He ate it at the counter and I thought he was going to either cry or wet his pants.

So we took our plates outside to the picnic table to enjoy a perfect 77 degree Friday afternoon. Opps, had to go back in to get dessert. I grabbed a piece of hummingbird cake. Never heard of it, but the que I sampled was so very good, there was no way the cake would be anything less than fantastic. Turned out, I was correct. Except that I was so full from lunch that I took the cake home and had it for breakfast on Saturday. Had my pie for lunch on Saturday, as I stayed around the cabins for the day.

Gravy grabbed a piece of buttermilk pie. He tried it and said, "OMG, this is like creme brule in pie form." I tried a piece and realized that a 'togo box" would be in order.

So we sat outside, watching folks ride by, not knowing what they were missing. There were a couple of locals, but no tourists. As we were eating, I realized that I did not cook bbq brisket, but made imitation bbq flavored food product, not entirely fit for human consumption. I contemplated selling my smoker and eating only hotdish. It was a combination of nirvana and depression (I am sure that other cooks recognize that feeling of despair).

It was an 'oh my' experience.

That is not to say all was perfect. The sausage was kind of dry and really, nothing special. There are plenty of butchers up this way that make great varieties of sausage. In hindsight, I should have tried the pulled pork instead of the sausage.

No matter, we all agreed that our lunch was fantastic and that the next time we were in the Hill Country that a ride to Camp Wood and 2 Fat Boys BBQ would be high on the agenda.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #763
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
A couple of weeks ago, gravy, grainbelt and I made a weekend visit to the Hill Country. After getting gas during one of the rides, we decided that we would stop at the next BBQ joint we passed. We were in Camp Wood getting gas, went about 150 yards down the road and stopped at 2 Fat Boys BBQ.
You know a BBQ report by guys named Barnyard, Gravy, and Grainbelt is gonna be good. Now I'll have to ride down there and try it. Even from DFW, its still gonna be quicker than going and waiting at Franklin's.

Thanks for the update.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #764
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,625
Next time, I am bringing either a cooler to take home more or a hammock and I will just stay there, eat and be happy.

A couple of photos...

where the magic happens

barnyard screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 11:22 AM
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #765
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
He added the ribs to my plate, some to Gravy's plate and gave the end to grainbelt. He ate it at the counter and I thought he was going to either cry or wet his pants.
I was actually stifling a meat boner, that is why it looked both pleasant and painful.

I haven't had a ton of bbq in my 30 years, but I've had enough to appreciate when it is done right. Some of barnyard's midwestern modesty is coming thru - he makes some damn fine bbq. Now, the brisket was exactly as barnyard described - you wanted some of that smokey chewy bark and some of the tender gooey moist brisket at the same time. No need for sauce, it was just perfect. The ribs were at that beautiful junction where they don't fall of the bone, but they melt as soon as they hit your mouth. Unbelievable.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote