Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #16
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Aprilia was the first one to use Tuareg for the 600cc Rotax-motorized that was the first one to popularize the Rallye bodywork on production bikes, two or three years before the Africa Twin, Cagiva 900 and Super Tenere jumped in the bandwagon.

I'm sure they were, but VW Group now own global rights on the "Touareg" name. Perhaps Aprilia's intellectual property lawyers are about as good as their quality control inspectors?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #17
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I'm sure they were, but VW Group now own global rights on the "Touareg" name. Perhaps Aprilia's intellectual property lawyers are about as good as their quality control inspectors?

Hmmm....
I am confused. I think it is misconception - VW group owns right to VW Tuareg name, not to word Tuareg.
Naming bike Aprilia Tuareg won't be difficult from legal standpoint.
You mean tribe of people Tuaregs own their name to VW? And then Indonesians not allowed to use word Tahoe anymore and Chevy paid to owners (?) of Tahoe lake hotels for using their name? Would Tahoe forest than will be paying off to Chevy? :)
It's combination that owned, not part of name.

That reminds me of infamous lawsuit of 3 habitants of greek island Lesvos (Lesbos) against Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece from using the term "lesbian"
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #18
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Hmmm....
I am confused. I think it is misconception - VW group owns right to VW Tuareg name, not to word Tuareg.
You mean tribe of people Tuaregs own their name to VW? And then Indonesians not allowed to use word Tahoe anymore and Chevy paid to owners (?) of Tahoe lake hotels for using their name? Would Tahoe forest than will be paying off to Chevy? :)

That reminds me of infamous lawsuit of 3 habitants of greek island Lesvos (Lesbos) against Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece from using the term "lesbian"
But what came first? The wind named Tuareg or the tribe named Tuareg?
Later the motorcycle was baptized and finally the car. Since this is a word that existed before the car, and considering these are two different products in two different markets, the motorcycle will not detract from car sales and vice-versa. But of course, the lawyers could argue Aprilia reliability (or lack there off) could bleed into VW sales. But then again, I think this reliability factor is a two-way street for these two... Therefore, when in the future one googles "broken down Touareg" there will be an equal number of hits for VWs and Aprilias.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
I wonder if they will throw in for free a blue helmet when you buy one?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,304
I think if they took the 550 V-twin, made it more comfy/bigger tank/a little more wind protection, that would work just fine. It would still be light enough for some pretty serious off-road stuff. Not over-done, just "enhanced" a bit. Should be plenty.
I'm growing tired of over-weight, over-priced, " Enduros", that entice you with thoughts of riding accross Africa, when anything more than a dirt road will crush you under it's mass if you get it a little bit wrong. You don't need a 500 - 600lb motorcycle off-road. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this market segment is finally taking off ( around here at least), I'm just worried we are going too far the wrong way to the point that it will scare off all but any real hardcore types. People will keep buying cruisers instead. Yuck!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Hmmm....

The US has slightly peculiar trademark laws, but the rest of the world doesn't! If VW were able to submit to a court that Joe Punter would be unable to distinguish between two different manufacturers making off-road vehicles with the same name, there'd be a case.

For example, the words Sting Ray, Falcon, Mustang, Charger, Challenger, Pacer, Trans Am, Corvette, Thunderbird, Galaxy etc are all pre-existing, English-language words. But if the Cheng Song Car Company released a micro-car in the US market called the Cheng Song Mustang, you can bet Ford would have a word or two to say about it!

Still, I digress. The bike is Italian, which means if it debuted in Milan as a 450 twin trailbike in 2009, it will meet production as an electric mobility scooter in 2024, by which time the manufacturer will have gone broke and been sold for $1 at least twice
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,905
Aprilia has been using the Tuareg name foer some of its bikes since the early 80's, way before there ever was a VW Tuareg.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #23
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000
Seriously. It's going to be rubbish. The 750 engine has issues with fuelling, it's very uneconomical and rough. Owning a modern Aprilia (my fifth) I would now never touch an Italian bike again, not because they're bad but because they're so bad they make me want to buy a French car. Ok, they're not quite that bad...
Fuck off.
Go away.

If a new Aprilia dual sport comes to the US as a 1200cc monster. I will buy it.

............did I say Fuck off??

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,878
forget about the name arguement! lets get more info on the bike!
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #25
Gian OP
dreamer

Oddometer: 967
a better shot of the rendering

They say there should be first a 750cc with 21" front wheel, and later a 1200cc with 19"
Gian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #26
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
forget about the name arguement! lets get more info on the bike!
for all the budding patent attorneys and copyright lawyers out there:

http://www.vw.com/touareg/en/us/

Aprilia Tuareg.

With reference to the intellectual property laws and copyright clauses so many people are keen to allude to, one would assume that those making reference to same, can actually spell...?

Tuareg = geographical name perculiar to the North African/Sahara region. Cannot be copyrighted as other examples (Tahoe, Sierra, Colorado etc.) have already been made.

Touareg = marketing dept. adaptation of same, presumeably protected under copyright/trademark laws by VW as the name of their premier SUV model.

Aprilia; have before... and it would seem once again... decided to name their new model Tuareg... what's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 07:52 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #27
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Touareg, Tuareg; the mind boggles at other possible permutations and combinations ... toerag that would have to belong to that pile of stuff in the corner that supposedly comprises a once loved '80s 175 rat bike waiting for re-surrection. What happened to that idea of a rat bike sub-forum?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #28
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Touareg, Tuareg; the mind boggles at other possible permutations and combinations ... toerag that would have to belong to that pile of stuff in the corner that supposedly comprises a once loved '80s 175 rat bike waiting for re-surrection.
"toerag"...

One can only hope that Aprilia dont pick up "camel" as a sponsor in the near future eh overlandr...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #29
SilentJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
As a current shiver owner, this is semi exciting as I think I'd like a big ADV style bike for my next bike.

What I am not excited about is my shiver weighs ~485 lbs. wet and has a 100 mile range from the fuel tank.
SilentJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #30
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote