User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,350
The Ratzuki Project

Greetings, everyone! My first post here in OSR. I hope I'm not intruding. I've posted a couple of these pics before in another forum and decided it wasn't the place, so I'm remaking the thread here. I’ve been a tad busy with all the things going on in my life, so I have to take little bites at everything just to keep everyone happy, including me. I submit for your approval my 1981 Suzuki GS850GL, and some pics of one of those tiny bites I did to it tonight after work. I plan to make it over into a rat-bike, and a rat she shall be, but I want her to be a nicely-running rat. I also want to give her some custom touches that will make her unique among the other vermin. Below is a pic of Ratzuki, with the ever-faithful Captain Nemo standing guard.

Side view here. The old girl has seen better days. 31,744 on the odo. Crappy, spent, bent, and busted air shocks. Bad seat. Oh yeah… time for some overhaulin!

Oh no! A torn driveshaft boot. No biggie. This will all be rebuilt and replaced before this old girl gets on the road again.

Here’s what she looks like now. Superbike bars (not sure I’ll keep them) and lying on the floor is a pair of new-used shocks I got from ebay for $4.99! I pulled off a lot of superficial crap and looks like I’ll be yanking more off soon.

Top view. Notice the wiring loom is out of the bike. I’ve never seen a more buggered wiring job in my entire life. The previous owner said he had many wiring problems and shorts and burned wiring. He was right! I’ll replace the whole loom with brand new 14 gauge control wiring… the good stuff!

Here is the object of my affection tonight. The old and crusty-rusty battery case. What a pos! I’ll remove the condenser and the relays and padding and run it through the bead blaster.

Holy smokes, that condenser didn’t want to come off. A little Zep Super-penetrant and a vise-grip pliers did the trick. Here it is in the blast cabinet, ready for a good cleaning.

…and here it is, all nice and descaled. I like to use glass beads on stuff like this. They just aren’t as aggressive as silicon carbide. Glass beading actually leaves some metal behind for you to work with!

Here we go. A nice coat of hammer-finish black rustoleum and we are good to go!

Hope you enjoyed my little bite off of the Ratzuki Project. My next post on this will be the fitting of a custom rear fender. g’night!

Old 10-18-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,475
Nice job, Pally. As a victim of wiring gremlins, let me offer you my condolences in advance!

Good luck and keep us posted. I'd like to see pics of the Twinstar, too.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,906
Great post McGee.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Rock on Pally you Fookin' rat bike building freak of nature..................You even got a thumb up SourKraut........................

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick
Rock on Pally you Fookin' rat bike building freak of nature..................You even got a thumb up SourKraut........................
Wow no shit, huh? I never thought that would happen. Well peeps change and so do I. I aim to please and make friends and have a good time here. I'm glad you guys liked my report. I'll ahev a ncie one coming up with the fender-thing. I have a 9-inch-wide fender I need to make into a 7-inch-wide fender. Should be fun, right?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #6
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
look out pebble beach. here comes pally.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Slaniac
Martini elbow

Oddometer: 11,012
Bass & Co Pale Ale Yeaaassssssssss. I heard Coors bought em out? Gotta go with the statement about making those parts look better than they were. Rat bike means Rat Bike, Pally.
Oh, and before I forget. FY.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past"
F. Scott Fitzgearld

Regnat Populus.
Slaniac
Slaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:33 AM   #8
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaniac
Bass & Co Pale Ale Yeaaassssssssss. I heard Coors bought em out? Gotta go with the statement about making those parts look better than they were. Rat bike means Rat Bike, Pally.
Oh, and before I forget. FY.
Thanks, Slanno. I know what you guys mean in that the rat should look like a rat. I just couldn't agree more. You see, I have a plan. I want to make all the internals of the bike work really well, yet have it ratty on the outside. You'll see. Watch this thread as I develope it into a state of rat-ness. It'll be ratty, but a refined-sort of rattness. Do you see what I am trying to say? A ratbike has to have some point in which to de-evolve into a state of ratness. My attempt here is to bring the 850 back to a state of health, but allow the rest of it to become rat-like. I'm going to do perhaps a faux-finish of mud and goo and fungus on it once the vitals are ticking away nicely. Ever see those trucks in Busch Gardens? That's not real mud...

Oh btw, Slaniac...FY2, bro!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:14 AM   #9
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278
Giving Pally another chance

Ok, Pally, I'll give you another chance after all the problems in JM. The first post I saw from you was this one about the Ratsushi. Gave me hope that you are a Ok guy. then you bombed.
I used to work for a car dealer in the early 90s, and one of the other mechanics wanted to get a bike, and kept after me about what's faster? Ninja, Katana, Hurricanes, etc. This from a guy who had only ridden a 70s DT250 Yamaha in his backyard.
Once Terminator 2 came out, he rushed down to the HD dealer and ordered up a Fatboy. Although the bike wouldn't come in for 6-9 months, he had all the HD gear the next day, I don't think he wore anything other than HD stuff again. Sidewalk Commandos were what we used to call these guys.
Anyway, the to get to the point, one of the other mechanics got given a Suzuki just like yours. He had just bought a house (first) had a kid on the way, so money was tight, and he spent the winter fixxing it up. Pulled the moter, painted everything, rebuilt the top end, borrowed carb synch stuff from me, new fork tubes and seals, etc. Did one hell off a good job
Rode it proudly into work that spring, justly too. Mr HD, I've got a real bike, (soon) declared it a piece of shit, the only real bike is a HD, you need to go trade that POS now for a real bike while it's worth something.
This precipitated a fight between those of us non-HD owners and him. I told Mr HD that I thought the Suzuki and it's owner was a lot cooler than MR HD, because he actually built his bike, had a lot more reason for pride of ownership. Any idiot can run down to the store and buy a HD, only special people can build their own bike.
So, Pally, I realize this is long winded, but I hope you get my point. Do a good job on it, make us (and yourself) proud
Old 10-19-2004, 06:34 AM   #10
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
Ok, Pally, I'll give you another chance after all the problems in JM. The first post I saw from you was this one about the Ratsushi. Gave me hope that you are a Ok guy. then you bombed.
I used to work for a car dealer in the early 90s, and one of the other mechanics wanted to get a bike, and kept after me about what's faster? Ninja, Katana, Hurricanes, etc. This from a guy who had only ridden a 70s DT250 Yamaha in his backyard.
Once Terminator 2 came out, he rushed down to the HD dealer and ordered up a Fatboy. Although the bike wouldn't come in for 6-9 months, he had all the HD gear the next day, I don't think he wore anything other than HD stuff again. Sidewalk Commandos were what we used to call these guys.
Anyway, the to get to the point, one of the other mechanics got given a Suzuki just like yours. He had just bought a house (first) had a kid on the way, so money was tight, and he spent the winter fixxing it up. Pulled the moter, painted everything, rebuilt the top end, borrowed carb synch stuff from me, new fork tubes and seals, etc. Did one hell off a good job
Rode it proudly into work that spring, justly too. Mr HD, I've got a real bike, (soon) declared it a piece of shit, the only real bike is a HD, you need to go trade that POS now for a real bike while it's worth something.
This precipitated a fight between those of us non-HD owners and him. I told Mr HD that I thought the Suzuki and it's owner was a lot cooler than MR HD, because he actually built his bike, had a lot more reason for pride of ownership. Any idiot can run down to the store and buy a HD, only special people can build their own bike.
So, Pally, I realize this is long winded, but I hope you get my point. Do a good job on it, make us (and yourself) proud

Word, Mister Norton. Way Word.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:26 AM   #11
AnnieGS
Namast, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,552
Bring out yer dead...and bring 'em back to life.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #12
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,075
I think there is a conceptual diflugacy going on here. You say you want a "rat bike", but you are doing a "restoration". Now, either is fine and a noble pursuit in themself, but don't do one and call it the other. You are removing, polishing, replacing, sand blasting, painting, rewiring, etc. everything that would contribute to it being a true "rat bike" had you left it alone, at least by all conventional definitions. Maybe you should make up a new name for what you are doing. It is your bike and your work, give the work a proper naming instead of bending someone else's.

However, whatever you do or end up calling it, keep the thread going. I've gone through this process many times over the years and it is fun watching someone else going through the blood, sweat, and tears.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #13
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Thanks for the kind words, folks. It means a lot to hear them from you, especially. It's rainy here tonight. I think I'll do some welding on that fender and post it. Missus McGee has kickboxing tonight, so I think my time will be spent in the shop.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:48 AM   #14
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
I think there is a conceptual diflugacy going on here. You say you want a "rat bike", but you are doing a "restoration". Now, either is fine and a noble pursuit in themself, but don't do one and call it the other. You are removing, polishing, replacing, sand blasting, painting, rewiring, etc. everything that would contribute to it being a true "rat bike" had you left it alone, at least by all conventional definitions. Maybe you should make up a new name for what you are doing. It is your bike and your work, give the work a proper naming instead of bending someone else's.

However, whatever you do or end up calling it, keep the thread going. I've gone through this process many times over the years and it is fun watching someone else going through the blood, sweat, and tears.
Thanks, Slim. Stick around. I will keep this thread going. Now to adress your issue with me calling it a "ratbike"...

Its not going to be a ratbike in the sense of what we typically project a psychic image, no - it'll be a devolved rat that was restored to working status, then customized into something fun and rat-like. Thats the best way I can explain it right now, but the way I see the end result of this bike in my head, it'll be rat-nificently rat-like, but still rideable and looking kinda cool. Hang with me... you'll like what you see!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:20 AM   #15
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Due to the mean-spirited bullying I have endured in JM, I will not be continuing this thread. This thread was made specifically for those very people I have tried very hard to impress and to fit in with. It's just not a match. A square peg kind of thing, and although I really want to continue with a nice build-up thread of my bike, I can't abide by the unpoliced sharktank of JM.

If any of you see me bumming around Ride Reports or Thumpers, say hello. Otherwise, have a good life.