Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #16
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally McGee
If any of you see me bumming around Ride Reports or Thumpers, say hello. Otherwise, have a good life.
awwwww c'mon pally. come back to play

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #17
dougrender
Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer: 1,099
Pally, why don't you just stay out of JM? Then no worries.

I like this thread as I'm currently rebuilding a '79 Honda XR250. Easier job than you have in front of you, though. Mine has only 4 or 6 wires, total. You have a mess of angel hair pasta.

That bike looks to have more than a few superfluous parts. I think you should cut off everything you can do without. Chop the whole rear subframe and just keep a suspended solo seat--kinda like an old tractor. It can become a study in minimalism.
dougrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #18
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrender
Pally, why don't you just stay out of JM? Then no worries.

I like this thread as I'm currently rebuilding a '79 Honda XR250. Easier job than you have in front of you, though. Mine has only 4 or 6 wires, total. You have a mess of angel hair pasta.

That bike looks to have more than a few superfluous parts. I think you should cut off everything you can do without. Chop the whole rear subframe and just keep a suspended solo seat--kinda like an old tractor. It can become a study in minimalism.
A couple of months or go,or maybe longer, one of the modern bike mags (Cycle Whirled, Motosicklist) did a article on a Yamaha Vision that was done on a budget by one of the customizers. It was a cool concept, solo seat, chopped up rear end, I think doug might be onto something here

Just stay out of JM, it's a tough world there, but remember it's a virtual one, not the real world. Hell even Annie didn't knock you in this thread, she even sounded sorta encourging in your project.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #19
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
A couple of months or go,or maybe longer, one of the modern bike mags (Cycle Whirled, Motosicklist) did a article on a Yamaha Vision that was done on a budget by one of the customizers. It was a cool concept, solo seat, chopped up rear end, I think doug might be onto something here
let see some pics of it. got any around? let's get pally back
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
Just stay out of JM, it's a tough world there, but remember it's a virtual one, not the real world. Hell even Annie didn't knock you in this thread, she even sounded sorta encourging in your project.
jo-momma is a rough spot. if you absorb smells you will eventually start to stink. the key is to wax as often as possible. stuff rolls off after a while and you get this egg shell kinda thing going on.....

Old 10-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
let see some pics of it. got any around? let's get pally back

jo-momma is a rough spot. if you absorb smells you will eventually start to stink. the key is to wax as often as possible. stuff rolls off after a while and you get this egg shell kinda thing going on.....
You guys are right. I'm staying out of that cesspool. I should know better. Give me until later tonight and I'll try to post off some more pics of the 'zuki and the rear fender mod.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #21
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
I know you'll be back to check on your thread so here goes, GOOD POST! I have to go along with the others here, RAT bikes are supposed to look, well, er,,, ratty! If you want to restore it, restore it. Other wise rat that bad boy out!

Rememeber, FLAT BLACK spray paint is the color of choice! BBQ grill paint is for the motor!

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #22
Loadedagain
making chips

rats rawk

Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #23
Loadedagain
making chips

methinks rats is the shiznit.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #24
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

The chore this evening is to make a fender for the Ratzuki, so allow me give some background. I spent a great deal of time just sitting in a lawn chair in the garage staring this pig and scheming up some ideas and concepts I’d like to see. I like the idea of sitting low to the ground, and I dislike tandem seats on a lot of bikes. I’ve come to the conclusion that a nice little solo pad would look pretty hot, and should be comfortable to fit my anatomy and my style sense. I hacked the old seat apart and bashed it into a solo seat, but it did look really stupid. The lines didn’t flow right with the stick fender. Not only that, but the stock fender was ugly as a bucket of mashed assholes. It had to go.

So my dilemma was that any custom fenders for this thing was going to tap me out of $300 or so. I’d rather get some hot coils and some decent electrics. So after a few failed attempts at making a fender from scratch, I decided to stop spinning my wheels, and just buy something that had the nice curves in it from the start. So here we come to the trailer fender.

$25 bucks and 18 gauge steel. How can you go wrong? Well there’s at least one way, and I found it: It’s too effin wide!

Looks okay, but I got to yank some material off it to get it to fit right.

We’re looking at 9 inches wide.

Six and three-quarter between the braces… looks like I’ll have to pull out at least 2 inches from the middle and weld it back up to get the dimensions I need. I’m going to shoot for a fender that’s 7-inches wide.

So how to get two parallel lines on a curved object? Hmmm… well I could use a dial height gauge like this one, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to use a $500 surface plate on a cheesy fender and take that chance of marking it up.

Instead, better to put the thinking cap on. Why not make a jig that will hold a marker at the right height? To achieve 7" width, I’ll need two fender halves that measure 3.5". I set to work with some wood scraps:

After about 20 minutes of cutting trimming and adjusting, I came up with a little combo that holds a Sharpie just fine. Another scrap of wood and a 10-32 screw and nut, and it holds the Sharpie at exactly 3.5"

Checked it with yet another scrap of wood. It’s perfect!

I wiped off the mill residue from the steel. Nasty stuff. It’ll clog up a brand new marker pretty fast.

Using the top of my table saw, I spun the fender around, while holding the jig stationary.

Two perfectly parallel lines, 2" apart, ready for the saw.

The old Bosch. Darn good saw. I’ve used the heck out of it, and its still runs like a top. Out with the woodcutting blade and in with a fresh 24TPI bimetal blade.

I didn’t take any pics of the cutting process. I probably looked like some weirdly-contorted monkey with a saw. Anyhow, my elbow is killing me now. Took another 25 minutes to saw this fender in two and slice the extra 2" off.

And here it is, nicely sliced in three chunks. The middle piece gets tossed in the scrap bin and now we are off to the belt grinder.

A couple minutes on the belt grinder with a 60-grit zirconia belt, and we got some nice even edges. It really cleaned up my wobbly-arm saw marks!

Being a knifemaker does have its advantages!

Gosh, ya gotta love welding magnets. When a clamp won’t reach, a nice strong magnet will do the trick!

A few tack-welds should do the trick to fab this sucker together.

Here it is! I’m really pleased that the seam stayed straight without too much hassle. Sometimes when doing stuff like this, the material warps from the heat – mostly because of stresses already in the parent material. Nothing you can do but bash the hell out of it and hope you can get it straight… or start all over.

Luckily this one was a success. Hey it even fit halfway decent! This is all I’m going to do tonight. I never weld when I’m tired. Besides, I think I’m going to cut about 4" off the bottom of the rear of the fender and maybe tack in some fillets on the side.

I hope you all enjoyed this so far. I’m guessing the fillets and more fabrication will have to happen before I actually weld-up the fender. This is a rat-like bike, so I won’t get fussy about how the fender is finished – just that it looks a certain way.

More to come in a day or so.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #25
Loadedagain
making chips

just like american choppers

Old 10-19-2004, 09:57 PM   #26
Techfiend
High Priest of Duh

Oddometer: 1,192
Holy shit Pally, that fender is SWEET! I love it. Can't wait for the next chapter...

I put on my wizard robe and hat!

Clothes make the man -- naked people have little to no effect on society...
-- Mark Twain
Techfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #27
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,137
Pally rocks.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #28
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
Pally rocks.
I think so....keep us going on this pally. Didnt think you'd actually do it.

Rule one...ugly is good.
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:24 AM   #29
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
So which way are you going with it? Rat or a nicer ride? Remember, this is ADVRIDER, save room under that fender for the knobs!! You could always go the Dual Sport route!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 AM   #30
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
So which way are you going with it? Rat or a nicer ride? Remember, this is ADVRIDER, save room under that fender for the knobs!! You could always go the Dual Sport route!
How about Nice Rat? I dunno... seems it may evolve into it's own style. I'm actually torn between a pseudo-military style with crash bars and such all over the place, and a cruiser-style. The latter seems a stretch for me, because I'm not so into the cruiser bikes. I'm thinking a part-cruiser-part-adventure-part-military? I'm still not sure, but I'll have to say its going to be a fun project.

Sadly, I won't be able to do much to report on tonight. I have to bolt to the Home Depot in Amherst tonight after work and get some siding while the weather permits and get it home. I've added many thousands of dollars in sweat-equity to my house this year, but it has certainly taken its toll on my free time. This is only one instance.

If I get home early enough, I'll trim up that fender and make the full weld. More to come!