Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2004, 02:54 AM   #61
Pete Rock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Absolutely one of the finest threads I know in this forum, great craftsmanship, and I really like the fact that you already know how you want it to be like when it´s over and done. Keep the great work.

Hey, you got me interested, could you a picture of one of your knifes please? Just so that I can see what you usually do with your skills.
Pete Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:07 AM   #62
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,351
More to Come...

Yes, I have more pics to come, but I have hit a small obstacle. I've exceeded my bandwidth for my current pic-hosting site. I'll sign up for a smugmug account today and press on with another installment tonight.

Here's a small sample of the knives that aren't suitable for selling.

Top to bottom:

1. A blade which is made from Hitachi ATS-34. It's waiting for some attention. I'll make this into a nice drop-point hunter with a stag handle.

2. A folding dagger with a green bone handle. I don't like the shape, and the finish sucks. I could keep rubbing it out, but eff-it, I'll make a better one.

3. A tanto of 440C, cryo-tempered. With an ivory Micarta handle and nickle-silver bolsters, this knife was for a customer but I noticed a flaw called an "inclusion" in the blade as I was polishing it out. I made another knife for the customer and chucked this in the drawer.

4. This knife is actually one I made for entry into an, UGLY knife contest. I lost. The guy who won had his knife stuck in a mound of cow dung for several months. It was by far uglier than mine. I thought by making a regular knife and ugging it up some by soaking it it muriatic acid, it would be enough. Not so. In the drawer it goes.

5. Here is a work-in-progress. A sister blade to the one at the top, this is a straight hunter. Filework along the spine. Sambar Stag handle. 303 stainless for pommel and guard. The guard and pommel will be filed and carved and sculpted. The funky discoloration you see around the ricasso area is from the silver-brazing of the guard to the blade tang. That will all be hand-polished and rubbed out.

The long bar off of the tip of the tanto is a piece of damascus steel, pattern-welded with some motorcycle chain, and welded-up in a cannister. Makes a great pattern! I may use that steel on a couple small hunters or maybe a dagger and a hunter. I dunno.

Okay then! Check back tonight for more pics and progress on the Ratzuki. Tonight will be more fender-trimming and fitting.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:42 AM   #63
Pete Rock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
So, your work on knifes is your only occupation? Very interesting, congrats.
Pete Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #64
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Rock
So, your work on knifes is your only occupation? Very interesting, congrats.
No sir. I'm an industrial mechanic.machinist. I work on printing machinery. That's my full-time job. Knives and blacksmithing is only a part-time gig. I'll probably settle into it full time when I retire someday. For now, its just a creative outlet. :):
Old 10-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #65
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Nice stuff Pally (even if it is not your nicest)!

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally McGee
Yes, I have more pics to come, but I have hit a small obstacle. I've exceeded my bandwidth for my current pic-hosting site. I'll sign up for a smugmug account today and press on with another installment tonight.

Here's a small sample of the knives that aren't suitable for selling.

Top to bottom:

1. A blade which is made from Hitachi ATS-34. It's waiting for some attention. I'll make this into a nice drop-point hunter with a stag handle.

2. A folding dagger with a green bone handle. I don't like the shape, and the finish sucks. I could keep rubbing it out, but eff-it, I'll make a better one.

3. A tanto of 440C, cryo-tempered. With an ivory Micarta handle and nickle-silver bolsters, this knife was for a customer but I noticed a flaw called an "inclusion" in the blade as I was polishing it out. I made another knife for the customer and chucked this in the drawer.

4. This knife is actually one I made for entry into an, UGLY knife contest. I lost. The guy who won had his knife stuck in a mound of cow dung for several months. It was by far uglier than mine. I thought by making a regular knife and ugging it up some by soaking it it muriatic acid, it would be enough. Not so. In the drawer it goes.

5. Here is a work-in-progress. A sister blade to the one at the top, this is a straight hunter. Filework along the spine. Sambar Stag handle. 303 stainless for pommel and guard. The guard and pommel will be filed and carved and sculpted. The funky discoloration you see around the ricasso area is from the silver-brazing of the guard to the blade tang. That will all be hand-polished and rubbed out.

The long bar off of the tip of the tanto is a piece of damascus steel, pattern-welded with some motorcycle chain, and welded-up in a cannister. Makes a great pattern! I may use that steel on a couple small hunters or maybe a dagger and a hunter. I dunno.

Okay then! Check back tonight for more pics and progress on the Ratzuki. Tonight will be more fender-trimming and fitting.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #66
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
hey pally! more ratzuki?

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #67
mutineer
pierpont lives

Oddometer: 18,923
Pally went and got himself 48 hours in the corner.

Pally stay the fuck out of JM and spend you time here. Time in front of the screen seems to serve you better when it is spent in the garage instead. And you are much better at it.

I weening myself off of JM after my whole CCKLR thing (he is still a pussy though). Maybe you ought to consider the same.

Your photo links a AFU, you may wanna look into it.

free pally, for OSR anyway.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:25 AM   #68
JamesJWeg
"Speedy"

Oddometer: 1,736
Yeah, I saw the light too and got out of JM BEFORE I got my shorts in a bunch. Free pally for OSR.

James.
JamesJWeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:49 AM   #69
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally McGee
I work on printing machinery.
You have my deepest sympathys mate.

I just sold my share in a largish print shop...i looked at the offsets on many occasions when they were busted...best way known to lose a finger i recon. They look like a mad womans custard inside.

I grew very bitter towards moths.

If you can get those things going then you should do well with the bike.
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #70
Pally McGee OP
Reality's Bitch

Hello, mates.

During my brief exile it appears the old adage that trouble comes in threes has once again struck this old McGee. My pic hosting site took a huge dump and lost all but a couple pics. Since then, I have subscribed to SmugMug, and have been attempting to reconstruct this thread. It seems an insurmountable task. I will most-likley just recreate a new thread and continue the project from there. Sorry for the delays in getting back to this thread. In the next few days I intend to resurrect a new Ratzuki thread out of the ashes on the old.

Thanks for checking in, folks!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:47 AM   #71
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,126
Hi Pally

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:58 AM   #72
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Welcome back from exile you ass!!!!!!

Get back to work on your bike!

Oh yeah, what did you get suspended for anyway???
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

GaelicDog screwed with this post 10-29-2004 at 11:06 AM
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #73
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJWeg
Yeah, I saw the light too and got out of JM BEFORE I got my shorts in a bunch. Free pally for OSR.

James.
Reading this after seeing him in JM is like listening to an idiot savant.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #74
JamesJWeg
"Speedy"

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
And just how involved have I been in JM latly? Maybe a few posts, and I do go in there and look around every few days, but that's about all.

James.
JamesJWeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:05 PM   #75
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I think kbasa was talking about Pally