User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Honda 650L or the Suzuki 650

I'm in a spot where i can pick up either one of these fine machines. I'm coming from a KLR 650 07. My intention is to hang on to this bike for quite some time. Which should i get? They both seem well time tested.

What do you all prefer and why? Any other links yall know of that gets into practical comparisons? I'm over 200lbs, if that matters.

Thank you everyone for the insight.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,555
Buy the one that makes you smile.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

which i'm thinking is the honda but i figured if i was going to do this, may as well research the hell out of both and get the one that seems best. i'm going cross eyed reading everything about them. At the point where i thought I'd ask the borg here.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 509
I'm an XR guy through and through, but if I had to pick a 50%/50% bike it would be the DR. While the XR may be a better off road bike the DR's pavement abilities are far superior. Both bikes have strong aftermarket with the XR's being more varied with many XR600 parts crossing over to the XR-L.

I have a pair of XR600s (like an XR-L minus 50lbs of blubber) and they are no place I want to sit for more than about 15 minutes on road. The XR-L's RFVC head, while novel in 1983, is now needlessly complex.

-Owyhee
Owyhee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,393
I've had 2 DR 650's and now have a XR 650 L. The advantage the DR has is a low seat hieght compared to the XR. I'm 6'3" so that wasn't an issue for me. Both have a great aftermarket so it's very easy to personalize them into whatever you'd like. At 250 lbs I found the DR's suspension to need upgrading with springs, valves and oil but once done it worked well for me. On the XR the factory stuff works for me, only needing adjusting to be right. Both bikes need breathablity tuning to work right, a TM 40 Flatslide really wakes the DR up but a whole new carb isn't needed for the XR. It has a Kenin carb and bigger valves than the DR so the stock package works better. Both stockers can be improved for cheap but the improved XR runs as good as the Flatslided DR. The DR costs about a grand less than the XR but I was putting that into the DR for the improvements. For me I have better and longer suspension with a better motor with the XR over the DR and it suits where and how I ride better. That being said the DR is a fine motorcycle as well.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

really want the 650L but after much reading i think i'm leaning towards the DR
Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,188
DR650SE : SACS = sophisticated air / oil cooled format, gear driven single balance shaft / yields smoothest motor in category, sohc with simpler / reliable valve train, strong subframe. Strong seller, cult classic in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and advrider thumper thread...

And Cycle World's Peter Egan, is a longtime fan favourite,
when he's not crashing and breaking ribs.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant View Post
really want the 650L but after much reading i think i'm leaning towards the DR
Read less...buy the one that sings to you. Seriously
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Read less...buy the one that sings to you. Seriously
I totally agree with this.

People seem to be micro-analysing (sp?) every aspect of a bike these days. I've been guilty of it myself.
If you like a bike and want it, buy it! If it doesn't work out to your expectations, sell it and get something else.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,742
A friend has a DR with worked suspension, he is very hard to keep up with in the rough stuff, the DR is very dirt worthy.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
xcited
XRL

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
I totally agree with this.

People seem to be micro-analysing (sp?) every aspect of a bike these days. I've been guilty of it myself.
If you like a bike and want it, buy it! If it doesn't work out to your expectations, sell it and get something else.
Micro-analysing is correct, I do a butt ton of research on most stuff I buy. I bought my XRL because I wanted more off road'in but soon I found out that I spend more time on the street . I kept the bike bone stock for re-sale value. I rode the shit out of it for a year and put it up for sale dreaming of buying a GS. 2 months later it didn't sale. I desided I would keep it and put about $1500 into it right away. I love this bike now and I don't think I would sale it any time soon.
Cigar Mike put it best...
"Adventure riders are a unique group of riders. They are involved in all types of riding from hard core single track to adventure rides that are mainly pavement. They very often use a bike for a purpose that was not intended by the manufacturer. If the bike does not fit, they make it fit. "
I guess my point is that you make the bike fit you, not the other way around. Sure it takes money, time and reseach but like all the other inmates say "if it sings to you get it" You won't regret it one way or another....
xcited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Research them both 'til your eyes cross, then Buy the one that makes you smile.
Fix'd. It's the ADV way
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,188
Showroom naivety, sells countless KLR's and Hyosung models each year, do your homework.
A competent, well researched mc purchase, will supply all the romance required.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
herb28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I'm at that decision also. Just can't seem to keep the 89 GS running well enough to think I could take it on long dual sport trips. Looking for a bike that can handle long days on the road, good off road, carry enough stuff to camp and commuting 30 miles a day. Looking at used XL's and DR's and trying to figure out which would be best.

Any reason why the XL wouldn't be able to do this?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
If you get the XR650L don't use any aftermarket countershaft sprockets. Even the stock setup can have issues. Premature wear on the countershaft splines. Some are goling to the countershaft from the XR650R, which has wider engagement between the shaft and sprocket which lessons the wear. The Honda has a dry sump engine as opposed to the Suzukis wet sump. Oil and filter changes are more difficult on the Honda, where the DR is simple. The DR650 the only issue I've heard of is there have been a few with, I believe, third gear problems, and these are pretty rare.

If I was a little taller, I would like an XR650L for myself. I'd replace the countershaft sprocket and ride the hell of it. I think the XR650R sprocket fits if installed flipped over, and it's a bit of a tight fit, but seems to be tghe answer.

I worked on large trucks for years, and a worn out trans input shaft was pretty common. Someone made a kit, called a spline-saver. A much wider collar slips over the trans input shaft giving the setup a much wider engagement area spreading the wear making the shaft last much longer.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote