User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Anyone got an AJP PR5?

So, I'm in the market for a new trail bike...

It's to be shared between myself and the wife, so we don't want a tall full on enduro machine. I'll use it for trail riding when I can't be bothered dragging my KTM 950 out, and she'll use it for trails and rallies.

We've looked at a KTM Freeride 350 - lovely machine, but the downsides include high price, short service intervals, no ignition key, snatchy fuelling.

For 2 grand less than a freeride, you can get a portugese made AJP PR5, it's a 250 cc fuel injected, liquid cooled machine specifically sold in the UK as a trail bike. The UK importers seem to be targetting the trail / rally riders rather than full on enduro racers, which is sensible as I doubt the AJP would compare to (for example) an EXC. But the AJP comes with a 2 year warranty and 3000km service intervals, which makes it sound like a far more practical thing than the KTM.

I got a brief test ride on the PR5, it rode well, and the engine seemed pretty strong, although the fuelling had a bit of a stutter coming off idle. I found a car park with some railway sleepers laid out and tried hopping over them, a couple of times the engine just failed to pick up and stalled. The saleman claimed that this bike must have a fault and that a new one wouldn't be like this, so I'm going to contact them again and arrange another test once they've hopefully fixed it.

In the mean time, has anyone out there got one of these bikes and would like to expound on how lovely (or otherwise!) it is? :) Any user experience would be welcome.

http://www.mspmotors.co.uk/detail.php?vid=94361

Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
cosmokenney
cosmo

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
So, I'm in the market for a new trail bike...

It's to be shared between myself and the wife, so we don't want a tall full on enduro machine. I'll use it for trail riding when I can't be bothered dragging my KTM 950 out, and she'll use it for trails and rallies.

We've looked at a KTM Freeride 350 - lovely machine, but the downsides include high price, short service intervals, no ignition key, snatchy fuelling.

For 2 grand less than a freeride, you can get a portugese made AJP PR5, it's a 250 cc fuel injected, liquid cooled machine specifically sold in the UK as a trail bike. The UK importers seem to be targetting the trail / rally riders rather than full on enduro racers, which is sensible as I doubt the AJP would compare to (for example) an EXC. But the AJP comes with a 2 year warranty and 3000km service intervals, which makes it sound like a far more practical thing than the KTM.

I got a brief test ride on the PR5, it rode well, and the engine seemed pretty strong, although the fuelling had a bit of a stutter coming off idle. I found a car park with some railway sleepers laid out and tried hopping over them, a couple of times the engine just failed to pick up and stalled. The saleman claimed that this bike must have a fault and that a new one wouldn't be like this, so I'm going to contact them again and arrange another test once they've hopefully fixed it.

In the mean time, has anyone out there got one of these bikes and would like to expound on how lovely (or otherwise!) it is? :) Any user experience would be welcome.

http://www.mspmotors.co.uk/detail.php?vid=94361

Following this thread! The one thing that concerns me is the ergonomics for a 6'1" rider. How'd it feel?
cosmokenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
lucky3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Just got one

Got a demo with almost 600 miles on it. First thing I noticed was really nice quality. Fit and finish are excellent. Details are very nice. Lots of cool features and well thought out. Rides coming soon. Feels real nice and slim and small ripping it around my neighborhood.

www.motosportz.com
lucky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
J Banning
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Updates?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,925
Kelly at Motosportz has a pretty detailed set of reviews.

Initial review
http://motosportz.com/ajp-pr5.html

Second review
http://motosportz.com/pr5test2.html

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
kayaker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Now imagine either one of those bikes with 40 lbs less weight!!!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/943...%20183%20%20lb

The world is catching on slowly. Reducing the size 10% and lowering the seat is a big deal by itself and would make most riders smile. Dropping 20-30 lbs off the average bike weight is awesome. Moving the power to a range where you spend most of the time is a no brainer. Do all three and it starts to become magical. Drop weight to the 180 lb range and its time for an orgasm.

The second review of the PR5 made me laugh. He gushes like I do to the point people don't believe you. The trail does seem twice as wide,.. sand feels half as deep,.. it takes half the effort to go the same speed. My bike is the most stable sand bike I ever had, yet out turns anything I ever rode. The front end is so trustworthy you can push the front wheel and yank it back from the edge. It leaves me shaking my head in disbelief.

KTM, Scorpa and earlier attempts to go this direction all compromised suspension travel and weight. Its good to see the Beta and PR5 seem to use full travel. I believe a new category of bikes is coming but they're not quite there yet. 220 lbs is still too heavy. The marketing departments will never let go of water cooling, e-start and fuel injection. These things add big weight with very little benefit. Even their best efforts so far are little better than the 15 year old cult classic KDX200 with a torque pipe or a stripped down XR200 stroker.

Most manufacturers have all the parts to build a minimalist 180 lb extreme play bike with a competition level chassis and small torquey motor. If just one manufacturer did this it would own a new market and force others to follow. The problem is they always feel the need to add 40lbs of extra styling and gadgets. Still I'm glad to see movement in the right direction with reducing the size and weight just a little bit.
kayaker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker43 View Post
Now imagine either one of those bikes with 40 lbs less weight!!!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/943...%20183%20%20lb
That's exactly the kind of bike I've been thinking about building for woods riding. Also mid 50's, and 145 lbs, and I'm faster on a small, slow bike than a big fast bike.

Those PR5's look interesting too, but I agree, too heavy. The size and power seem to be about the same as my KLX250.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
lucky3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
Those PR5's look interesting too, but I agree, too heavy.
You really need to ride one. I am all about small and lite and love my 165 huskys. This bike works fantastic and feels 125 lite. Its a fantastic bike with exceptional suspension, small feel and so freaking easy to ride. I got demo bikes if you want to try one. Honestly I was all done with 4 strokes for my technical woods riding. Like them in the open but in technical find them tiring and more work. Until I rode the PR5. That bike cuts through technical single track like a hot knife through butter and is so easy and effort free.

www.motosportz.com
Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
lucky3
Gnarly Adventurer

Been letting a lot of people ride my bike and they all love it.

Here is a Pro friend I let ride it. He is going to race it in a few pro events next year. Probably some endurocross.

Got a full Ti Doma for it...

And some sticky pegs...

www.motosportz.com
Old 01-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Sure it is a little heavy but it is also a GREAT value at the price. Only reason I don't have one is no dealer anywhere near. I think these bikes will be very well received when more widely available.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
lucky3
Gnarly Adventurer

It really is a great little bike. The Doma pipe made it more snappy and rev quicker. The pegs lock you in. Both very nice upgrades. The stock pipe is very nice, this one is nicer.

"I think these bikes will be very well received when more widely available."

I think your right as everyone who tries it loves it. I just love the slim feel, super easy to use motor and great stock suspension.

www.motosportz.com
Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
lucky3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, I ride a 165 husky (125 with kit) typically and this bike feels just as light. Very flickable bike and use it for tighter single track.

www.motosportz.com
Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
lucky3
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess this is my AJP blogspot ha ha ha. Made it look a little more exciting. Love this bike.

www.motosportz.com
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Sure it is a little heavy but it is also a GREAT value at the price. Only reason I don't have one is no dealer anywhere near. I think these bikes will be very well received when more widely available.
+1

12 dealers nationwide (US) doesn't help, no matter how great the bike is.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #15
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
lucky3, any thoughts on the pr4 for a noob on dirt? (or should we take this to another thread?)
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote