User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,689
Lanyard Kill Switches - I'm a Convert

So after 28 years in trials, I finally have a lanyard-type kill switch on my bike. Put an Apico brand, black lanyard strap switch on my wife's 80, and on my 300 Raga I put a Leonelli brand, red lanyard strap switch on. Note these two brands reverse the polarity of the magnets from each other, perhaps so they won't interchange?

In both cases, I retained the original push-button kill switch. I figured that would just keep me from trying to kill the bike the former way and finding no switch. In both cases I simply soldered the lanyard kill wire to the connector of the original kill switch, and grounded the other lanyard wire to the coil ground.

I currently prefer them roughly an inch right of the left grip, between the clutch post and the grip... pointed up and back a little:

What are some of your mounting references?

I just completed a 2-day event and know I like these things. I never had a problem with them, though once I almost took my hand off the left grip while flying down the loop.

Some things I've discovered so far about lanyard switches:

- They are like a key

If you remove the button from the bike and store it elsewhere the bike won't start. Someone can't just jump on the bike, start it, and ride off. As with any 'key', however, you can lose it

- You can loop the open end of the strap over the grip to ignore it, say when you are using the bike to work on sections

- They really work in crashes

Saturday at Sipapu I was not on top of my game. I crashed three times, which is more than I typically crash in a year. Each time when I separated from the bike, the lanyard pulled the magnet off and the bike just flopped over dead... no scalded banshee craziness.

- You don't want to scratch your nose with your left hand on the loop or in sections!

- If you move your wife's bike while minding the fact that the 'key' is on the other side of the section on her wrist gets irritating

"Key please!"

Anyway, I balked at these things at first. Now I like them.

motobene screwed with this post 06-12-2015 at 12:47 PM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
jonnyc21
Trials Ninja

Oddometer: 1,133
Sounds like have the same brand if you have the wife and kid riding as I do might be a good idea for helping with moving/riding or loosing a key. Always have a copy.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
I still have the one (Yeah not no silly magnet) bought for my bike in 1993. Brand new in the wrapper. I just could not figure out all my other riding issues besides the horrible crashes. Left hand is the beverage hand.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:56 AM   #4
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 23,162
I point mine quite a bit more forward. Peters had me do that because he said you can hit them with your body on a big up if pointed backwards and that would kinda suck.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #5
kneeslider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
no waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
So after 28 years in trials, I finally have a lanyard-type kill switch on my bike. Put an Apico brand, black lanyard strap switch on my wife's 80, and on my 300 Raga I put a Leonelli brand, red lanyard strap switch on. Note these two brands reverse the polarity of the magnets from each other, perhaps so they won't interchange?

In both cases, I retained the original push-button kill switch. I figured that would just keep me from trying to kill the bike the former way and finding no switch. In both cases I simply soldered the lanyard kill wire to the connector of the original kill switch, and grounded the other lanyard wire to the coil ground.

I currently prefer them roughly an inch right of the left grip, between the clutch post and the grip... pointed up and back a little:

What are some of your mounting references?

I just completed a 2-day event and know I like these things. I never had a problem with them, though once I almost took my hand off the left grip while flying down the loop.

Some things I've discovered so far about lanyard switches:

- They are like a key

If you remove the button from the bike and store it elsewhere the bike won't start. Someone can't just jump on the bike, start it, and ride off. As with any 'key', however, you can lose it

- You can loop the open end of the strap over the grip to ignore it, say when you are using the bike to work on sections

- They really work in crashes

Saturday at Sipapu I was not on top of my game. I crashed three times, which is more than I typically crash in a year. Each time when I separated from the bike, the lanyard pulled the magnet off and the bike just flopped over dead... no scalded banshee craziness.

- You don't want to scratch your nose with your left hand on the loop or in sections!

- If you move your wife's bike while minding the fact that the 'key' is on the other side of the section on her wrist gets irritating

"Key please!"

Anyway, I balked at these things at first. Now I like them.
cn't do the cool biker wave with one of these!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I point mine quite a bit more forward. Peters had me do that because he said you can hit them with your body on a big up if pointed backwards and that would kinda suck.
That's true, but it was the regular kill switch, not the lanyard type, that got me Saturday. For the first time - ever - I killed the bike for a 5 in that nasty section we had Saturday with the slick V-shaped rock after the narrow approach between the tree on left and rock on right on the Expert line. I got so far forward on the rock the kill switch was pressed against my upper leg!

The lanyard magnet, in same position as shown in my first photo on the Beta 80, however, was not in the way, so I see no present need to angle it forward more.

I typically put the old-style kill switch between the bar clamps, but on the Raga I left it where it was when I bought the bike. I think I should move it.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I still have the one (Yeah not no silly magnet) bought for my bike in 1993. Brand new in the wrapper. I just could not figure out all my other riding issues besides the horrible crashes. Left hand is the beverage hand.
Drink and ride! I saw you with a piss beer in the left hand out there Sunday
Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 4,199
I have the Leonelli switch on the Climber. I like it a lot. It's already saved me once when I looped the bike on a leaf covered hillside. The bike ended up about 20' up the hill which was also about 5' above my head. It landed on the right grip which held the throttle open. The engine wound down and died. That was nice because I was pretty winded/tired (being late in the day) and it would have taken me a few seconds to run up the hill to kill the motor, had I not been wearing the wrist lanyard.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,483
I have the lanyard, no idea what brand. I know my first problem getting used to it was, I would lift my left arm to wipe my face, invariably when cruising down the loop, pops off the lanyard, bike dies instantly, you only have one had on bars, not expecting this to happen you know.

The 1st time I actually went 3/4ths the way over the bars, used front fender to keep from going clear off the bike, managed to push my self back onto the pegs in total panic/horror of the situation, then was able to prevent being driven into the ground (wasn't going that fast in 4th) Next couple times, it just throws you forward when you disconnect, once ran me off the trail in Peru, thought I was lucky I didn't crash into trees and stuff on tight single track in 6th. The worst was the time I managed to get the magnet to swing back to it, bike lit back up, I about went off the back again one handed... LOL!!!

Now my extra elasticity OEM lanyard rope broke, I mean stretched until it was just a thread for several rides, and finally broke, so now I just have that 2 inch lanyard attachment part with that quick attach plastic thingy left.

Sadly, my ID badge lanyard will clip right into that what is left there, but the badge lanyards we have have Zero elastic/stretch to them, and I have not looked for the replacement lanyard string/necklace yet.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Sting, you've had way too many learning experiences!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 808
Sub $10 jet ski one from Ebay. Retained the OE kill switch and carry and extra "key" in my tool kit. Plenty of reach to wipe your face with your left hand...

DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Wall mart also carries jet ski keys. Try to find a replacement magnet type when you truly need one.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Sub $10 jet ski one from Ebay. Retained the OE kill switch and carry and extra "key" in my tool kit. Plenty of reach to wipe your face with your left hand...

Great "product" shot!
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #14
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Nice shot and great place to ride! Hey with that long chord do you have to run away from the bike to kill it?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Sting, you've had way too many learning experiences!
Yep! and that is what I keep telling people here in the forums and in person, "Well, just save yourself the thrills and spills I have already done, and or seen" its why I like to share what I have learned, not that I have seen everything, nor feel "elder enough" to want to pass info on... I just would like to make what I can easier, there is a quote something like, "you are are and inspiration, or a warning for others..." lol...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote