Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Geolander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Would I go crazy if a trials bike was my only bike?

Got this crazy idea to trade my enduro for a trials bike...

Not sure if that's a real great idea..
Geolander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 870
Just depends on who you are, I have a dual sport and a trials bike, and almost never ride my dual sport, and would be quite OK if I only had the trials bike.

But that is me.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Yep. All depends on you and, to some extent, where you ride. If a trials bike means riding around your property anytime you want, then you'd probably really enjoy it. Even a small area can become endless fun with a trials bike. That same yard on an enduro bike would get old in 10 minutes tops.

I have to truck mine to ride it, and the fun vs. drive time ratio gets ugly pretty quick.

For me, I like my dual sport (and my new adventure bike) for exploring stuff that most people never see. The little gems that are hidden just off the long stretches of tarmac that crisscross the country. I got the trials bike so I'd have something to putt around next to my kid on, but I've found that it turns a never-ending-circle-round-the-trailer into a fantastic way to challenge myself. Plus my kid thinks its f'n hilarious every time dad eats it on a boulder the size of his helmet.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
I'm about to do it. The KLR was a commuter. Found it way more fun to ride a trials bike. Way more comfortable to drive the truck to work. But I have never been one to explore long stretches of single track. Prefer the truck for the exploring bit. But that is simply me and my area. What you are like and where you enjoy going may not be the same.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
Got this crazy idea to trade my enduro for a trials bike...

Not sure if that's a real great idea..
It depends on what you want to do.....................but you know that already.

I have just sold my street bike because of lack of use and the idiotic drivers competing for my space and no regrets there.

I ride my trials bike at least once a week and as much as 3-4 times/week in the summer.

My two KTMs mostly sit around waiting for me, even though I love riding them.
Trials is so low key and we can throw them in the trucks with little preparation and no drama involved. To go dirt biking, it seems like it takes more gear, more prep, bikes have to be constantly maintained, etc.

To me, the big thing is;
Do you have someone to ride trials with? If I was a lone dog just riding around on the bike, I would lose interest pretty fast. You either need to ride with someone that will "compete' with you or join a club and actually compete.

Dual Sporting is something can be done solo or with a group with lots of enjoyment either way.

Single track is the same as trials as far as this goes, I don't really like to ride single track by myself, but that is mostly because of the danger of getting hurt out in BFE.

If I was you, I would try to find a trials bike to ride for a few weekends before selling your other bike(s). Some guys love em, some guys never give it a chance and then don't get it.

BTW, you can usually find a good used modern trials bike in the 3K range to try out and if you don't like it, just flip it.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
People get restless. Why do you have an enduro bike?

Trials is a form of extreme enduro, and you can go pretty far up country with a fuel bottle in your pack. You can go pretty fast too, if tears on your cheeks is part of the mix.

I have fallen away completely from full-size trail bikes, but I'm small and old. I won't give up the dualsport, although I only ride that a few days a year.

New bikes are expensive. Old ones have low residual costs, unless you want your garage back..

See you at Ute Cup. http://rockymountaintrials.org/
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Depends on where you intend to ride. Only trials bikes I've spent any time with were company bikes we used on some drilling jobs. The break-down portable drills would get flown up to the drill site but the main parts and related support equip stash would get stored at another larger landing/staging area site farther down the mountain. and we used the bikes to get between sites. Worked great but it wouldn't be a bike I would want to do a normal onroad commute with, certainly not on a regular basis. Have ridden them to town for supplies. Not a pleasant trip. Out of their element they're just slow buzzy bikes. Yeah better than walking I guess but not by much. But to each his own.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Could work out ok, but I wouldn't recommend going about it that way. If you had a trials bike and your other bikes(s) were getting neglected because you were having so much fun riding with others/competing, and decided to sell the others, sure. Doesn't sound like you are sure/there yet though, so I would hang on to whatever other bike you have for a bit.

As said above, fun to ride in yard, but really need to ride with others sometimes to keep interest going and skills progressing, which makes it so much fun.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
kRaZy

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Could work out ok, but I wouldn't recommend going about it that way. If you had a trials bike and your other bikes(s) were getting neglected because you were having so much fun riding with others/competing, and decided to sell the others, sure. Doesn't sound like you are sure/there yet though, so I would hang on to whatever other bike you have for a bit.

As said above, fun to ride in yard, but really need to ride with others sometimes to keep interest going and skills progressing, which makes it so much fun.
Stu, that's how it happened with me. 06 Ktm 525 Exc for dual sport, 200 XC-w woods bike both neglected and essentially unridden since my first trials bike purchase2 years ago. Sold out the big bikes last spring. Haven't missed them or the upkeep or the insurance or the DMV tags stc, etc...
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
TE 450 Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
A man should never limit himself to one bike.

1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Trials
TE 450 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,919
Trials bike? Probably not. KLR? I think I'd kill myself.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,049
My experience was all faster off road stuff 1970 to 1988 (my last gig was Expert Cross Country racing) until I got infected by trials by a friend in 1988. I then sold everything and did nothing but trials until a neighbor gave me a Yamaha XS 650 from under his tree 14 years later, which got me and wifey into riding the roads in Michigan, then doing trips for thousands of miles. I did the larger bike and BMW thing until settling on a KLR 650, and wifey loves her BMW F650GS versus former too-big R1150R.

About 2007 I got back into dualsporting and offroad with a lowly KLR250. My first ride was with a group of pretty good riders. It surprised how fast and skilled a rider I had become due to the years of trials, especially on such an un prestigious mount.

Today I have three types of bikes. Trials, a large dualsport (I think of a 650 as 'large') for transcontinental camp and ride, which my wife loves to do with me on her own 650... a lot. And a smaller dual sport for those times I get invited on some epic adventure ride.

Will you go crazy with just one bike? It's possible. It's also possible you will get so immersed into trials that you can go for many years as I did with only a trials bike.

motobene screwed with this post 12-20-2014 at 08:19 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 696
[QUOTE=StuInFH;25737562]Could work out ok, but I wouldn't recommend going about it that way. If you had a trials bike and your other bikes(s) were getting neglected because you were having so much fun riding with others/competing, and decided to sell the others, sure.

This is kind of where I am. I look at my excellent CRF450x in the garage, start it once in a while and then go ride the Beta. I have begun to think of selling the CRF ( I rode it once this last year)
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Going crazy

Don't limit Yourself. Park the truck outside. A couple of Trials bikes don't take up much room, keep the KLR and get a Trials bike or two. I think I would go crazy if I only had one helmet. I need three different kinds of boots. I need a least two different kinds of Tennis shoes. Does a man only have one hammer, one screw driver. It would totally suck to have just one stone to throw.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Doctors prescription

My family doctor had me read all my, {history} Doctors notes. Back when I was ten I told him, and he wrote it down. " The only way I ever feel no stress is when I am on my motorcycle with the throttle turned wide open". He is a smart man. Although I have yet to have a pharmacy fill this prescription, I have filled it myself every chance I get. This has saved me thousands of dollars due to the savings from Psychiatrists. It has probably kept me out of jail as well. I also credited my successful marriage to my understanding wife, and the fact that I can stay somewhat sane, to the fact that own and ride Motorcycles.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote