User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,556
Precious 2010 GasGas 280 Sold (Boo Hoo)

One of my all-time favorite bikes, ever, I sold this weekend to an on-fire(and athletically capable) new rider from the Tulsa area. It was mandated by my wife as a 'price' for buying her a Beta 80!

Talk about a full-service deal! Two days and a night at the ranch with meals. Even a couple of bottle$ of a Belgian quad were opened Saturday night for deep conversations
Not very profitable for me, but I had a blast. It's so satisfying to have someone really appreciate knowledge and cherished goods.

Yes, hours of instructional training on riding and maintenance. New tires and doing every bit of maintenance (and finding the bike to be in awesome shape).

Some bikes are just super sweet individuals. I will miss you, my lowly 'Econo' with gas-emulsion Ohlins shock. I stopped calling you that because you were just the best and I could ride you any time with maximum precision and confidence.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Sounds like who ever bought it got a great bike and warm welcome to the sport. Way to pay it forward.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,090
Bene, when you removed the separator on the shock rebuild did you change oil quantity? I`m about to do my son`s and that seems like a simple way to go.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Bene, when you removed the separator on the shock rebuild did you change oil quantity? I`m about to do my son`s and that seems like a simple way to go.
He was quite jazzed and babbling about the positive experience. I had a lot of fun showing him advanced techniques, which he'd actually do on his first day on a trials bike!

If one of these blows, do get a new seal head from Ohlins or you may soon be doing it again!

When you remove the DeCarbon piston it solves the problem of bare minimum oil volume are room for nitrogen gas in the GG45 shock.

Fill volume? Bore side up, I pour in Ohlins shock fluid to before re inserting the piston/shaft/seal head to 65mm from the top. Gas pressure should be 200-225 psi. I machined and pressed in my own Schrader valve opposite the needle fill dodad, or you can just use Ohlins' style needle fill.

Nice thing about gas emulsion shocks is you just reassemble without having to bleed the thing. But do fill and dump the nitrogen a few times to purge out the oxygen.

motobene screwed with this post 05-05-2015 at 10:48 AM
Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

What have been some of your all-time favorite bikes?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
My ty80, back when, I was pretty young, I knew it was gonna be gone before I got home from school on monday, I hated to let it go, i mean hated it, to me it was just like other people losing a pet well almost. (not to be taken wrong, I was glad to get newer bike, and well the 80 was special)

Then when I left my Cota 172, and got the trusty Sherpa-t... IT wasn't so bad as the ty80, but that bike was probably my favorite, though I didn't seem to care nearly as much at the time, compared to the used 79 Bultaco I'd got, but looking back it was a good bike.

My current Raga is almost the same to me as the 172, mainly because I think it was the last new bike with the good brakes & clutch masters...

I always kind of assumed Ill cross paths with my TY80, dad does as well. Dad still has original B.O.S. and serial#. but ya never know. it was like last 3 digits 173 serial number, most of the ones we've ran across were like 730 or higher.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
jonnyc21
Trials Ninja

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I currently still own my 2 favorite bikes. My 07 4RT and my BMW G650X Challenge.

Love the 4RT the most, as it is by far the most fun/challenge to ride. I mean how can anything be as much fun at trials?

The X Challenge is second because it's big enough to do highway and with 6.6 gallons of fuel (desert tank) and approximately 370 lbs wet, I can take it lots of places most 650s don't ever get to see. And if I want I have the option to close off and drain the extra tank and drop 30 lbs.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,090
Thanks Bene! My 1986 TY350 was the most incredible bike ever, after coming off twin shocks. And the `86 was the first Yamaha mono with a completely adjustable rear shock. After just one ride the bike gave you the most amazing confidence. New sections that we only thought World caliper riders could ride were now possible. Never have I experienced anything like that on any other bike. I rode that bike 4-5 times a week for the first six months. A major trials growth spurt for myself and as a sport with the new mono`s.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 3,160
Sold it??

Yeah, I've managed to let go of a few scoots over the years that I instantly regretted. My '82 GPz 1100 and my '76 R90S replica come to mind. That's why I don't do that anymore.

This is also why I now have 17 bikes. If I like them, they stay.
Brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
ridenm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,789
Your all-time favorite bikes?

I still miss my '89 KLR-650 -- I traded it before the aftermarket really caught up to what a great bike it was, but I wanted something more comfy for sport-touring. Bought a Concours.

I wish I had my first bike, a Honda CB200T, to pass on to my oldest daughter. And I wish I still had the Honda MB-5 so the twins would be able to ride it when they get their licenses.

Other than those, the bikes I have now are so superior in function and performance that I don't regret trading.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,448
Dad and I were talking last night, the 172 Montessa left Kansas for the 4 corners area, he thought new mexico, if anyone knows where that 172 has landed or stashed, he would like to have it back, if you NMTA guys see it anywhere. I believe it was in the 80's when the bike moved with locals to NM area.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I still miss my '89 KLR-650 -- I traded it before the aftermarket really caught up to what a great bike it was, but I wanted something more comfy for sport-touring. Bought a Concours.

I wish I had my first bike, a Honda CB200T, to pass on to my oldest daughter. And I wish I still had the Honda MB-5 so the twins would be able to ride it when they get their licenses.

Other than those, the bikes I have now are so superior in function and performance that I don't regret trading.
I've got a very trick `03 KLR 650 I refuse to sell!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Thanks Bene! My 1986 TY350 was the most incredible bike ever, after coming off twin shocks. And the `86 was the first Yamaha mono with a completely adjustable rear shock. After just one ride the bike gave you the most amazing confidence. New sections that we only thought World caliper riders could ride were now possible. Never have I experienced anything like that on any other bike. I rode that bike 4-5 times a week for the first six months. A major trials growth spurt for myself and as a sport with the new mono`s.
I know the lover for those bikes. I had three of them. I also had a super sweet `86 TY350 I put a 250 cylinder on and did all sorts of mods to. Made the whole frame modern. Different shock and lots of suspension mods.

Man that was some bike! Best traction bike I've ever ridden. I sold it to a friend for his son to ride, then it got stolen by a dirt bag and completely trashed. A sad fate for a jewel.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
I currently still own my 2 favorite bikes. My 07 4RT and my BMW G650X Challenge.

Love the 4RT the most, as it is by far the most fun/challenge to ride. I mean how can anything be as much fun at trials?

The X Challenge is second because it's big enough to do highway and with 6.6 gallons of fuel (desert tank) and approximately 370 lbs wet, I can take it lots of places most 650s don't ever get to see. And if I want I have the option to close off and drain the extra tank and drop 30 lbs.
That BMW has the best 650 single ever made: the Rotax.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
OSULemon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thanks bene!

Funny story - on my way back Sunday evening, I made a stop in OKC to visit a female friend before my eventual departure to Tulsa. Having arrived before she got off work, I decided I was uncomfortable with leaving the bike on the trailer for a long period of time where I couldn't see it.

She was quite surprised when she walked in and found me and the bike waiting her apartment living room...on the third floor. I will never look at staircases the same way.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying it very much. I took the opportunity of this recent rainfall to practice some of those muddy starts you were describing, using the momentum of the flywheel instead of the throttle to get moving. My 22-going-on-75 lower back is even feeling a bit better. Perhaps a side benefit of the riding, or perhaps from the home-grown eggs and beef

As I said before, you have first right of refusal if I'm crazy enough to sell...or upgrade in the future!
OSULemon is offline   Reply With Quote