User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #1
trailer Rails OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
Looking for a smaller displacement trials bike

I have a GasGas 280 and I can ride it pretty well but I can tell I do not need most of those CCs and am doing a lot of work to try and hold them back. It feels like when I had a KTM300, all I do is try and keep the bike from shooting out from under me. Now I ride a KTM200 and I love having to ring its neck now and again, I like not having to hold the bike back. I am thinking I would enjoy that out of a trials bike also.

Long story short: I am trying to search the internet for smaller used bikes for sale and I am looking for suggestions on search terms. I am just searching "trials 125" right now. I just discovered that Scorpa makes a 175. Any other bikes I should search for?
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
The Beta 200 is very mellow, with almost perfect power.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
The Beta 200 is a really great suggestion. However, you should read some of MotoBene's threads about mellowing the power of a GG before doing anything. The 280 is a hyper beast stock, but can be slowed down and smoothed out fairly easily.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 964
The 200s are great, but don't write off 125s.

I sold two GasGas 125s this year to customers who really liked them.
The setup process on both bikes gave me a chance to explore what a modern 125 is and is capable of, and I was impressed and re calibrated. I remember the 125s of days past, and how they required revving the crap out of, yet with the new 125s I could creep up steep hills with no need for the clutch and no stalling. If I then needed a power burst I could rev them and do clutch dumps, but most of the time it was just throttle modulation with little fear of bogging or stalling out.

At my level I am disadvantage somewhat on a 125 regarding the ability to suddenly get up on something big (takes more throttle and clutch finesse), but I believe most riders at most skill levels would learn faster on the sub-250cc machines.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 216
TL125 For Sale

I know a guy with a 1974 TL125. It's in his dry shed. It's not running b/c he took the carb off to check for a sticky throttle, but it's all there (100% stock) and he says it ran great when he parked it a couple of years ago. I think the price will be right. It's in eastern PA. PM me if you're interested.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
trailer Rails OP
Beastly Adventurer

PM sent about the TL125, although I was shooting for something more modern that might work for a little while.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
trailer Rails OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll have to look into taming the 280 down. It is high strung.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 223
We got the sherco 125 its (2003)been great had it a few years now mostly for the kids they can only use 125s in competitions before 16 years in uk.
the sherco drags my sorry butt about well enough and its a pleasure to ride.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Save you money..... on a 125

You most likely will hate it
You have plenty of options....
First depending what you are looking to spend, Yes you can buy a 200, but those are really not a whole bunch different than a 125 just a little more grunt,
You can do a few things, Not sure if your 280 is the RAGA or pro, both of those are quite finicky and have a toggle switch power band, if you are looking to dial yours in, you can start with a flywheel weight, second re gear it either drop a tooth in the front, or add a few or 3 in the rear, than add a Domino ( BLACK ) slow throttle

The above will cost you less than $200.00,

Second suggestion if you decide to get a newer bike, is go for a 250, add the above mentioned parts, you will love it, it will be more like an electric motor than anything else

To top things off, you can also add a lower dome head, for compression,

I had done all the items above to my daughters 2014 250 sherco, and wow, what an awesome machine, Not to mention resale on a 250 is WAY better than a 200.......

Hope this helped
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Ahhh YEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
And I know where you can buy a new one for a great deal !!!!!
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
trailer Rails OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcycle View Post
And I know where you can buy a new one for a great deal !!!!!
I may be interested in that 200.

I hear what you said about the smaller bikes and I get a lot of crap about riding a "girls" dirt bike but I enjoy the smaller displacement bikes. I know how to use a clutch to make them work properly.

I was tail riding with my KTM200 and I was following someone on a 300 up a hill. The hill was supposed to be down only but we were looking for a lost rider. It had a 4' vertical ledge half way up. The 300 goes up, with a bit of pushing. My little 200 popped right up. There was another 300 behind us. I get to the top and turn my bike off, we can hear a lot of revving of a stuck bike behind us. Without looking back, the guy on grease 300 laughs and says, "listen to that little 200 stuck on that ledge, what was he thinking trying to come up here." I replied, "uh, that little 200 is right here and I did not even slip a tire coming up that. That is the other 300 down there."

I routinely pass much larger displacement bikes on hill climbs because their bikes just break traction instead of digging in.

The only time I wished I had a larger bike is when we were trying to bust through 8" of fresh snow at 10-12,000 feet in elevation. The little 200 felt like an 80. Rev it to the moon and dump the clutch in first gear.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,618
My last two bikes have been 250's. My Beta Rev 250 was very mellow and easy to ride. My current GG 250 was much snappier and it took me time to adjust. I also installed the low compression head on my GG and it made a subtle difference and I've now become used to it. I'll never buy another 300 or 280/290 machine.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
rokhopr
2014 Beta 200

Oddometer: 59
What he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
and

What he said.
"Not to mention resale on a 250 is WAY better than a 200......."
I'm 200-210 lbs, ride a Beta 200 at sea level, Beta 250 for altitude. Open the throttle and use the clutch, in the long run you'll be a better rider for it. It sounds like you've already got that figured out.

I'd rather spend positive energy working the 200 forcing better technique than negative energy trying to manage the bigger bikes or any energy detuning.

Any obstacle in which the bike is the limiting factor I don't need to be riding anyway.

my 2 cents.
rokhopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Plus the Beta 200 was a sleeved down 250. It could be anything, but a 125. Last trials I chased my son on a 125. Not fun.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,475
I've got a Scorpa 125 four stroke and really like it. I know what you mean by having to wring it's neck sometimes (often) but it gives lots of opportunity to twist your wrist! And it makes a most lovely sound. I'm with you, I like small bore motors too.