Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #136
Creaky John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
The frame flex isn't much but I could notice it, or at least some kind of flex (seems like the frame to me). I preferred it when I got used to the gentler/smoother style that seemed to work best for me on the Montesa. It's not like a GasGas which seemed to me to have significantly more flex than the Beta. In the end, the 4RT is the best bike I've ever ridden but its probably due in part to riding style. I know some people like bikes with a bigger hit and that's fine, I'm just not among them.
John

2008 R1200GS (called the "GP" for Great Pumpkin cuz its orange)
2007 XT225 (the "dink bike" for dinking around)
2005 Montesa 4RT (after a mighty fine 315R all I can do is grin)
Creaky John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #137
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky John View Post
I had a 96 Techno. Nice bike, fun to ride and pretty much bomb proof. Mine had a milled head but even stock they had a pretty good "hit" as I recall. The 4RT (or 315 R for that matter) don't have the same hit but rev smoothly and have plenty of power (in my opinion) its just used a bit differently. I found the front end of the Beta to be significantly more weighted than the Montesas. Tracked well in tight turns but with a snappier motor throttle/clutch control was a bit touchier. It also required more accuracy for steps and such. For me the Montys were as stable in tight turns and the "gentler" throttle response made it easier to ride. While the timing for big steps was different for me, I never felt the smoother response of the Montesas was a problem. I actually prefered it when I figured it out. The 4RT is still new to me but I can't see it gives up anything to a 2 stroke. Timing again is a bit different but traction is much better. I took a break for several years after having a 315R and straight away I could do some things better on the 4RT than I could with the 315R. The Montesas also have a bit more frame flex than the Technos. It seems to compliment the smoother throttle response. For what its worth, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 4RT.
Hope that helps a bit.
John
I had a '95 Techno. IMNSHO, nothing turns as well as a Beta, but as the quoted poster says, others are more stable. I can't perceive a difference in frame flex. Both the Beta and my '99 Montesa 315R use aluminum frames--I call it a wash. The Montesa has it all over the Beta in terms of fit and finish; HRC quality can't be beat. The Beta suffered from dragging clutch syndrome. Took a few minutes of warmup before it would disengage. No oil change ever fixed the problem, but I never dug deeper for a cure. My biggest complaint with the Beta was the distance between the brake pedal and the right footpeg. On downs I would have to reposition my size 9 boot away from proper location on the peg in order to apply the rear brake. If I had size 11 or 12 feet, it wouldn't have been a problem.

ridenm screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 04:43 PM
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #138
triplewhipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
2005 Montesa 4RT won't start

just hold down the kill switch and kick is slowly three times then let off the kill button and kick it once - fires right up!!!

triplewhipper screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 07:18 AM
triplewhipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #139
sourdough
vintage rider

Oddometer: 60
advise

Been watching for a clean trials bike. This one showed up on CL, seems kinda high priced, is this over priced? http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2828114844.html
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #140
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Been watching for a clean trials bike. This one showed up on CL, seems kinda high priced, is this over priced? http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2828114844.html
Yes.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #141
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree, over priced.
BUT, be aware, you will not be the only one watching for the price to come down....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #142
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
I picked up a rt last weekend and am in the process of setting it up for me. Being 6'6" I'm likely going to need bar risers. Are there any alternatives to raising the bar vertically without replacing the entire top clamp?

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #143
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
I picked up a rt last weekend and am in the process of setting it up for me. Being 6'6" I'm likely going to need bar risers. Are there any alternatives to raising the bar vertically without replacing the entire top clamp?
Yes, taller bars. There are lower footpeg mounts that will help considerably also.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #144
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Brown View Post
On my '07 4RT I've added Hebo bar adaptors and made the change (forced) at the same time to Fat bars.
But doesn't that push the bars back towards the footpegs significantly? I sure wish the funky handlebar clamps weren't cast into the top clamp.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #145
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
But doesn't that push the bars back towards the footpegs significantly? I sure wish the funky handlebar clamps weren't cast into the top clamp.
Photo below is of a set of Renthal fabars that have a 100mm (4 inch) height, but gain a bit more than that in height due to the bar adaptors. You can see that the distance the bars have moved rearward is about half the width of the handlebar; ie less than 20mms, and not noticable in the feel of the bars. Also, by rotating the bars forward to the vertical you can offset any slight reward positioning. Great feel and not too low at all.

Ross Brown screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 07:58 PM
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #146
Creaky John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Bar Risers

Hi all,
After snapping my bars up on the side of the mountain behind my house I bought some Pro Taper "high" bars from Dennis at http://www.overlandtrail.biz/. Interesting ride back home! Anyhow, I'm quite pleased with the high bars. They seem about an inch higher. I'm not tall but a bit old(er) (61) and a bit beat up. I find them comfortable (just enough height that my back feels better most of the time and takes a little pressure off my shoulders) but not enough to have any noticeable impact on handling. I certainly think they are worth considering. When its time for new ones they'll be high bars again for me. I think Renthal also has them.

2008 R1200GS (called the "GP" for Great Pumpkin cuz its orange)
2007 XT225 (the "dink bike" for dinking around)
2005 Montesa 4RT (after a mighty fine 315R all I can do is grin)
Creaky John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #147
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I rode a Montesa 4RT, the new 2T Ossa, and a GasGas, and as a first time trials rider, the 4RT worked perfectly for me. Love at first ride. The 2T bikes were too response for my geriatric reflexes.
IntrepidRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #148
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
fwiw

Playing with the suspension linkage. Needle bearings at local bearing shop[Applied Industrial Tech] has them for $6.95 each. Number is HK1512 brand name Koyo.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #149
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsleft View Post
Playing with the suspension linkage. Needle bearings at local bearing shop[Applied Industrial Tech] has them for $6.95 each. Number is HK1512 brand name Koyo.
Is it a caged bearing or full compliment ? Full compliment is what is needed.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #150
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
Is it a caged bearing or full compliment ? Full compliment is what is needed.
They will be in tuesday. I will take picture and see. 15X21X3. It takes two per hole. I have no idea what "full compliment" means. What ever comes they must be better than what is in there.