ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 271
DR650 Pelican Storm IM2600/SW-Motech, Safari Tank, Spitfire

I have finally finish dressing my DR650. She is now ready for anything and everything.
This season my lover got showered with presents from me .... A big, humongous Safari tank, SW-Motech side racks and Pelican Storm IM2600, same size as the Pelican 1550 but a couple of pounds lighter. She also got a Spitfire windscreen.
Since the saying goes "a picture is worth 1000 words" I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves.







She is now 35" wide





I did not get the adapter kit for the pelican storm cases, instead I bolted the pelilcan storms to the side rack.

Northyork screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 11:41 AM
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
DisTech
Studly Adventurer
 
DisTech's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 616
Nice!

Do you have a journey planned that will take advantage of the supertanker?
__________________
DisTech - Suzuki (1993 DR350S & 1994 DR350, 1996 DR650/DR790), BMW (1999 R1100GS)
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer
 
BlackBeast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Oddometer: 916
Bike looks amazing. Now go out and get it dirty!
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork
I have finally finish dressing my DR650. She is now ready for anything and everything.
This season my lover got showered with presents from me .... A big, humongous Safari tank, SW-Motech side racks and Pelican Storm IM2600, same size as the Pelican 1550 but a couple of pounds lighter. She also got a Spitfire windscreen.
Since the saying goes "a picture is worth 1000 words" I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves.
Not everything.
I would not go off road without Bark Busters and AMP case guards. I punched a hole in left side case in just a minor tip over. Without Bark Busters you can easily break levers and even the brake master cylinder in a crash.
Next: Stock tail light will quickly separate and fill with water. Best get the DR250 tail light. It lays flat, more protected, no leaks or separations.

Just curious, have you weighed all the hard ware, Pelicans, racks and such?
Total weight?

My GIVI E41 hard bag set up with mounting racks and all nuts and bolts weighed in at about 35 lbs. (16 kgs.) My soft bag set up weighs just 8 lbs. (3.6 kgs.) (including racks and hardware)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 271
I have lots of ideas playing in my head......... time will tell. Anyhow, I am enjoying not having to go to the gas-station 4 to 5 times per weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
Nice!

Do you have a journey planned that will take advantage of the supertanker?
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 271
I have ordered the full set of engine guards from Perry, http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm, hopefully they will arrive this coming week. Have a tube of silicone waiting for them :)
Never thought about Bark Busters, thank you for mentioning them. Did not know about the issues with the tail light....... I thought that most people were doing the change just for aesthetics.
I have gone out to the garage and weighted the Pelicans Storm IM2600 with the racks attached to them they came to 12.2Kg, I am going to guess here.... the hardware parts that stay in the bike are probably another 1Kg? 1.5Kg?
I also got the liner bags, Givi T468, 800g each

So, the total added weight should be 12.2Kg +1.5Kg=13.7Kg (30.2lb)
If you were to add the Liner bags it will total 15.3Kg (33.7lb)

The way I see it, it is not fare to compare hard luggage to soft ones they are just in two different categories.

Just for the record, I weight around 210lb and the bike has a 8.1Kg Eibach
spring in the back and 0.5kg fork springs with a 2 1/2" spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Not everything.
I would not go off road without Bark Busters and AMP case guards. I punched a hole in left side case in just a minor tip over. Without Bark Busters you can easily break levers and even the brake master cylinder in a crash.
Next: Stock tail light will quickly separate and fill with water. Best get the DR250 tail light. It lays flat, more protected, no leaks or separations.

Just curious, have you weighed all the hard ware, Pelicans, racks and such?
Total weight?

My GIVI E41 hard bag set up with mounting racks and all nuts and bolts weighed in at about 35 lbs. (16 kgs.) My soft bag set up weighs just 8 lbs. (3.6 kgs.) (including racks and hardware)
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Bear Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bear Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Northern Nevada Rural PairADice
Oddometer: 166
I'm in the midst of mounting an iM2720 as a top case. If I can fabricate the mount that I have mocked up, I will be able to remove the case for use as a table in the field or as luggage when staying in a motel.
Bear Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork
I have ordered the full set of engine guards from Perry, http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm, hopefully they will arrive this coming week. Have a tube of silicone waiting for them :)
Never thought about Bark Busters, thank you for mentioning them. Did not know about the issues with the tail light....... I thought that most people were doing the change just for aesthetics.
I have gone out to the garage and weighted the Pelicans Storm IM2600 with the racks attached to them they came to 12.2Kg, I am going to guess here.... the hardware parts that stay in the bike are probably another 1Kg? 1.5Kg?
I also got the liner bags, Givi T468, 800g each

So, the total added weight should be 12.2Kg +1.5Kg=13.7Kg (30.2lb)
If you were to add the Liner bags it will total 15.3Kg (33.7lb)

The way I see it, it is not fare to compare hard luggage to soft ones they are just in two different categories.

Just for the record, I weight around 210lb and the bike has a 8.1Kg Eibach
spring in the back and 0.5kg fork springs with a 2 1/2" spacers.
If you're not planning any off road then no worries, you'll be fine as is. I like the Pelicans (I carry camera and audio equip. in them!) but for longer off road travel I prefer soft bags. But hard bags are fine too. Did you know if you break a Pelican ... they give you a free one?

You got the right spring on there. Bike should work great everywhere even fully loaded. Bark Busters even make sense on the street. Mostly they save levers. But don't forget why they were originally invented : Hand protection. I've hit some nastly stuff with no injuries due to bark busters. (this on dirt bikes)
Even in a fall, just hang on and slide along the ground. Your hands are protected ... I've done it.

You will like the AMP case guards. I have only the left side one but it's save my bike a couple times already. I'm getting the filter guard and case guard next. In your case it looks like the Safari tank will take a bit of a hit. I hope they are strong. The IMS is surprisingly strong, even though it looks like crap.

Good luck, have a great riding season!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: too far from the Rockies...
Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork
Huh!... The cult classic, including the kitchen sink, a stainless steel bbq and a brick house...

A pretty tasty combo...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
D-Fuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Oddometer: 477
Did you buy the Pelicans & racks from Dual Sport Plus? I have been thinking of the same set-up, sure helps to see them mounted on the bike.
__________________
Scott
D-Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 271
Nope, I got them from http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
Did you buy the Pelicans & racks from Dual Sport Plus? I have been thinking of the same set-up, sure helps to see them mounted on the bike.
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
vnp514
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern Washington State
Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Not everything.
I would not go off road without Bark Busters and AMP case guards. I punched a hole in left side case in just a minor tip over. Without Bark Busters you can easily break levers and even the brake master cylinder in a crash.
Next: Stock tail light will quickly separate and fill with water. Best get the DR250 tail light. It lays flat, more protected, no leaks or separations.
Agreed! You want to protect your side cases. I sometimes wish I would have bought the bigger tank for mine.

vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 271
Pelican's lifetime warranty. Are you sure it will still count even though we have drilled the cases?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.


[quote=Adv Grifter]If you're not planning any off road then no worries, you'll be fine as is. I like the Pelicans (I carry camera and audio equip. in them!) but for longer off road travel I prefer soft bags. But hard bags are fine too. Did you know if you break a Pelican ... they give you a free one?
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork
Pelican's lifetime warranty. Are you sure it will still count even though we have drilled the cases? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Hmmm ... dunno. Mine were never drilled. Call them and ask? I've used Pelicans since 1983. I've broke two since. Both caused by rough handling by Airport baggage handlers. Broke hinge on one, cracked top on another. Both replaced without a word.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #15
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 271
The engine guards are here. I did order them a week ago. Delivery was fast and they look great. The picture below will show all the pieces that came with the kit. From left to right Clutch guard, Ignition guard, Oil filter guard with screws and lock washers
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014