User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #31
Deacon OP
Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer: 1,112
When and Where

Sorry Wax, no photos of Freddie. It was only practice day Wednesday that cameras were allowed and I have to admit I didn't get too much of a chance to broaden the subject matter. Just got player shots of those that were close to Ben in order of play. It is interesting that the Masters has full rights to any photo you take during that day and can publish it or use it for any purpose they choose. You on the other hand cannot publish the photos for a fee or other compensation. Lets see what they think about Smuggy

Greg

ps, funny how traditions start...cheese and pimento sandwiches on white bread, where did that one come from? Must ave been a serious overstock of cheese and surplus pimento. Even though they are only a buck-fiddy I still prefer mint juliips.

Deacon screwed with this post 04-08-2010 at 08:53 PM
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #32
Deacon OP
Ready, shoot, aim

Photos up

Ok, pared them down to 460, yes I know there are a lot of Grandpa shots. I will select a few for the pages here later, first off this morning, 53 deg. high of 72. That should be great temps for today and no more rain.

Golf, 2010: http://deacon.smugmug.com/Sports/Pra...31474497_PFVCf

C&C welcome if you feel you can't keep your mouth shut (this is Jo momma).

Deacon
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #33
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon
Ok, pared them down to 460, yes I know there are a lot of Grandpa shots. I will select a few for the pages here later, first off this morning, 53 deg. high of 72. That should be great temps for today and no more rain.

Golf, 2010: http://deacon.smugmug.com/Sports/Pra...31474497_PFVCf

C&C welcome if you feel you can't keep your mouth shut (this is Jo momma).

Deacon
Great pictures, Deacon. The Par 3 Tournament is such a cool event - it's always fun to see the kiddos hanging out with Mom and Dad on the course. One kid who couldn't have been more than 7-8 sunk at least a 40 foot putt. The fans went wild. Wednesday we had to leave around 4, so we must have just missed y'all.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #34
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori
Wow ! Boom Boom -6. Not bad for a 50 year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Talk about a popular winner he'd be.
Otay, I will.

Fred "Boob Boom" Couples would be a very popular winner.

And I believe he would be the oldest winner since Jack Nickaus
won in 1986 at the age of 46.
Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #35
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 6,600
Good reading and viewing, Deacon.

Good luck to Ben.

What a great experience.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,498
Great Pics, Deacon!!
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #37
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,364
Good tournament. Two Brits get a comfy Saturday paring.

Looks like Woods and Mickleson are paired. That's always interesting. A tight leaderboard.

Perfect weather ahead, so expect lightning fast greens. Should be a very exciting two days.

Anyone want to predict the winning score? I'm going to say 11 under.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #38
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 44,709
Quote:
Good tournament. Two Brits get a comfy Saturday paring.

Looks like Woods and Mickleson are paired. That's always interesting. A tight leaderboard.

Perfect weather ahead, so expect lightning fast greens. Should be a very exciting two days.

Anyone want to predict the winning score? I'm going to say 11 under.
as long as you've been watching golf and you think they're going to get into double digits at Augusta?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #39
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
as long as you've been watching golf and you think they're going to get into double digits at Augusta?
Hey, you're a golf expert too!

So, Billy Casper, what's the winning score?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #40
Deacon OP
Ready, shoot, aim

Just a walk in the park

Great friends until Thursday and then it truly is every man for himself. Honestly without being there and watching the interaction, there is alot of subtle gamesplaying that goes on. Nothing malicious but subtle stroll bys, lining putts etc.

I have never seen a green as diabolical as 14 then add the particular pin placement. I have played a little and can honestly say there was about a 3 foot square you had to hit otherwise bye bye ball. Ben was off the left babied a short chip, slid on the green almost stopping but one more roll sent it 85 feet down the green. Putting on glass.

There are 50,000 tickets sold for each day. Getting one is impossible if you don't know someone or have a connection. A local we were talking to said he put his name on a list following a tournament in 1964, the same year he graduated from college. He gave up on hearing but a letter arrived in 1996 that he had made it to the top of the list. You can't will your tickets and if in your name the would not pass on to your immediate heirs. So the only way to get in is if someone dies

Ben kept it together well, consistent play, nothing too risk taking as if just playing there is not a risk. He got in trouble on 14 but managed to save a double. His par saving putts were outstanding and kept him in the game. The bogey on 15 after hitting short into the water shows how he is keeping his composure. Felt quite bad for Campbell as he just kept dropping shots. Evidently he has a shoulder injury, but he also made some great shots.

The cut line kept moving; Ben was at +3, we knew he was close, they don't post anything on the course so you are trying to calculate the number of players at a particular score plus the ones within 10 of the leader etc. Having lost the -1 to the bogeys his cushion had evaporated. Finally on 17 he got one back; now he was either on the cut line or one below. It was not declared officially until about 7 oclock.

We were invited over to dinner at the home they are staying in for the tournament. A wonderful lamb dinner with a couple of great bottles of wine and NO discussion of golf etc. Family time, other topics. He did find out his tee off time (11:55) just before we left about 9. He does NOT ever check who he is playing with until he gets to the first tee box. Superstition or just a way of minimizing the mind games. It works for him. We were a bit concerned that he might be paired with Villegas. Not that Villegas was an issue but his new caddie was Ben's caddie ad just up and quit Ben on a Wednesday before a tournament the end of last year. No conversation, no discussion, no warning. Really left Ben in a lurch and there are still some unsaid words. Playing Steve Flesch today, should be a good pairing.

Wind has changed directions so birdies on the par 5's are going to be tougher today. Hopefully the pin placements won't be designed to really separate the wheat so to speak. I know the placements will be easier tomorrow as they like the last day scores to be down and dirty, keeps the public involved.

There are so many things about this course, the tournament etc that have been so well thought out or designed that it is probably the ultimate in golf experiences. Their Masters Golf store is about half the size of a small grocery store, lines like Disneyland snaking back and forth to get in. The kids working in there restocking product never stop running. No statistical facts but I would guess the average sale is in the $1 to 1.5k range. It is the ONLY place you can get Master's products...right there. No web sales, no mail order. The lines never stop or slow down. 24 cash register stations getting approvals as fast as cards can be swiped.

Crowds are orderly but the impressive thing is the crossings and pre-determined walking areas. There are 50k people but other than the leaders etc you can pretty much see what is going on on each hole. The groups following the leader look like a rat going through a snake's belly; swelling and shrinking as the food source moves down the body of the course. Lots of viewing stands; first come first served all equal. Green fold up chairs are the main source of seating. Patrons place their chairs but you are free to use them if not occupied. If the patron shows up you are kindly asked to move. I've been to tournaments this resulted in fist fights, not Augusta!

Sure wish I could shoot every day but...I had asked a friend of mine that shoots for the paper in Portland if he could get photo pass and I would send shots to the paper in exchange This is what I got back: . Toughest even in sports to get press or media passes. Lucky to get what I got.

Keep the good thoughts coming, they are appreciated.

Come on Dad, Cassidy needs more new shoes!!!

Deacon
Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #41
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:
Hey, you're a golf expert too!

So, Billy Casper, what's the winning score?
6 or 7, I'll say 6
Old 04-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #42
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Whoa ! Back to back eagles for Lefty.
Last one was holed out from 139 yards !
11 under, one stroke behind Westwood.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #43
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 55,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori
Whoa ! Back to back eagles for Lefty.
Last one was holed out from 139 yards !
11 under, one stroke behind Westwood.
Can he get three in a row? Next up the 15th, an easily reachable par 5. You just know Phil is going to go for it.

Of course he might make an snowman too. I love the way Phil plays.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #44
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 55,947
Wow, damn near did get 3 in a row. Settled for a kick-in birdie.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #45
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Wow, damn near did get 3 in a row. Settled for a kick-in birdie.
Amazing. Less than an hour ago Westwood had a four stroke lead.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: