Naps

And
I Forgot

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
A little background before I get into this ride report. I am Active both on this forum as well as KLR650.Net. There are a lot of active members on the KLR forum here in N. Georgia. Recently, tagalong, one of the local KLR and ADV guys sold one of his KLRs and replaced it with a Husky 610. It didn't take long for the "cheater" Comments to begin. I'm not sure exactly what a cheater is but I think that anything lighter, faster, or more modern than a KLR may qualify. Yeah I know, that means that just about any modern dual sport is a "cheater".

I've been Itching to go for a ride in the North Georgia mountains. It's been a long, cold (for Georgia) winter. I've done a couple of rides this year but this would be the first that didn't involve snow and Ice. The weather forecast for the weekend was great and a few riders from this and the KLR forums wanted to go for a ride so I was excited I woke up well before my alarm went off (no, I'm not excited), ate breakfast, filled a water bottle and put it in the fridge, and went out and loaded my bike and gear into my truck. It was really nice out and the moon was up so I decided to take a pic.

Still plenty of time before I needed to leave so I took my dog for a walk. She gets more exited about going for a walk than I do about going for a ride. I think she would love going for a ride too. Here she is watching me get ready to go.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-05-2010 at 10:26 AM
Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Eventually it was time to go. There are signs of spring everywhere around here. I decided to take a couple more pics before I left.

I'm not taking the KLR today. I'm bringing one of my cheaters, although it is even older technology than the KLR so I'm not sure it qualifies as a "cheater". More on that later.

About 15 minutes down the road, I realize that I FORGOT that bottle of water in the fridge Oh well, I'll just have to buy some but hate paying the ridiculous price that bottled water goes for

So I continue on to Ellijay where I will leave my truck and meet the rest of the cast of characters. I pass a KTM 950 on the highway and figure it is probably one of our group.
Then I get to the Ellijay Wally World and go and buy a bottle of water. When I come out there's a guy unloading a DRZ400 from his truck. It's RichardU who will be riding in our group. So I unload my bike, put on my gear and ride over to Wendys to meet the rest of the group. There's Marbleminer (on the KLR Forum) on his KLR650 and AtlHondaBob on his KTM 950. It was him I passed on the way up. None of us had met or ridden together before except Marbleminer and myself who had ridden together once. These forums are a great way to meet people.

Marbleminer is not on this forum (yet!), but he is a true adventure rider, as you will soon find out..

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,336

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,673
Hello! I saw you guys yesterday in Suches. I was riding downhill toward the Ranger Station and you all were headed up hill toward 42. I figured the group for a bunch of ADVers, but was still hesitant to stop you all. I was riding alone on a KTM 450 EXC-R. I waved to all of you. Now I wish I had stopped! SuchesRider
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,811

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Hello! I saw you guys yesterday in Suches. I was riding downhill toward the Ranger Station and you all were headed up hill toward 42. I figured the group for a bunch of ADVers, but was still hesitant to stop you all. I was riding alone on a KTM 450 EXC-R. I waved to all of you. Now I wish I had stopped! SuchesRider
I remember waving at you Weren't you at TWO a little later?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We left Ellijay and headed for Old Bucktown Rd via a bunch of mostly paved back roads. There is one road I particularly like. It is very twisty with some blind hill crests and tricky curves. It's only about 3 miles long but it is more challenging IMO to ride than the much more famous "Dragon" at Deals Gap. My XT350 loves roads like this so I blasted through at an "entertaining" pace. I stopped at the end and waited. Along came Bob on his 950 adventure. We Waited. and Waited.
Time to head back and see what happened. I went about a half a mile and along came the other two so I pulled a U turn and we all regrouped at the end of the road. Marbleminer's KLR had gotten tired from the challenging riding and decided to take a nap. I asked Marbleminer if he was OK and he said "I'm fine. Lets go ride" So we did.

We stopped on Old Bucktown Rd just before it turned to Gravel for a short break. Time to look over Jeff and his KLR.

KLRs crash pretty well, especially if you add the crash bars. Some scratches and a loose body panel that needed a Zip Tie. Riders also do much better when wearing some good riding gear. Jeff had a sore shoulder but was good to go.

About this time, I realized that I FORGOT to put on my knee pads So much for ATGATT. I guess I'll just do what all those riders that don't believe in protective gear do: I WILL JUST NOT PLAN ON CRASHING
Or if I do crash, I won't land on my knees.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,066
:)

looks like a cool place to ride, its an awesome plan not to come off hey :)

take it easy
post some more pics :)
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We continue up Old Bucktown road which is a fun, rough, rutted and rocky ride.

It looks a lot different than a few weeks ago when I came through and took a pic at the same spot.

A week before I took this pic, marbleminer came up here and found this rut completely covered in snow and ice. He came up here alone, on his KLR, with stock tires, which worn out He didn't turn back until after he crashed and broke off his chain guard. Now that's some true adventure spirit

Old 04-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Who is this good-looking guy who is obviously doing some maintenance on his bike? I guess without a face and license plate we'll never know.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
I had my HD Hero taking pictures every two seconds until the battery ran out. I got about 4000 pictures. I'm still playing with the best way to use this, but here are some of the results.

Is my camera on?

Well-behaved horses.
From 100404 Nimblewill

Lunch.
From 100404 Nimblewill

Leading the way.
From 100404 Nimblewill

From 100404 Nimblewill

RichardU screwed with this post 04-05-2010 at 08:23 PM
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Richard, I liked the camera setup you have. I have to stop and pull out the camera to get a pic so I miss a lot of opportunities. Thanks for adding your pics.

Back to the report. After my last pic, I chased everyone to Nimblewill Gap. Old Bucktown is a fun ride but also a good workout, so we took a break at the top. After that we were hungry so we headed for TWO for lunch. I didn't get any more pics until we got to Suches so i'm glad Richards camera was still working.

Here's a pic of us enjoying the view as we reached Suches. The plants aren't blooming up at this elevation yet but the weather sure was nice.

Then it was less than half a mile to Two Wheels Only. This has been one of my favorite riding destinations for the last twenty years. It wasn't as crowded as I expected, I'm guessing around 30 motorcycles (no cars allowed )
Many people were eating outside and enjoying the weather. There was a beautiful KTM690 Duke parked outside. I had the chance to ride one of these when KTM had demo rides here a couple of years ago.