Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #196
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns
I have been reading your most excellent ride reports cruising around on your Husky. That is a nice bike.
Thank you very much
Quote:
No chance you will be held up. They would see that Husky crown on the front fender and realize you are royalty.
Finally! Just the excuse I need to change the front fender I was trying to be 'low profile' sounds way better than "I kept driving into rocks head on and finally broke it."
Quote:
Lots of paranoid Latin American stories. It makes me smile. I will continue to ride the world and report back what I find. People keep telling me it's dangerous out there over the next hill. It might be. I haven't found it yet. I'm still looking though. That's what puts the ADV in ADVriding!
I agree, I have felt much safer in MOST of BAJA than I have is MOST large US cities. I haven't been past cabo on a bike yet, though I have been to the southern tip of mainland MX (as crew in a million dollar sailboat) and I had one instance walking around a town with a SLR on my neck that I felt a little weird, but the guy turned out to be fine and had I spoken Spanish I'm sure my paranoia would have melted away.

Anyway I heard the remark at a seminar/talk at the BMW dealer by a dutch gal who traveled the length of South America. So Like I said I dunno if it's true, or if it's what the salesman at a BMW dealer in Buenos Aires told her
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #197
tylerjwhite
Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer: 875
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by candohome
Keep your eyes open and be aware of what is going on around you. I do both and was picked twice. Once at the Pan American Nicaragua/Costa Rica while sitting down to lunch. One guy distracted me while a kid unzipped my bag that was one me and to the side. Then again here in Quito. A guy spilled some mustard or something on the back of my jacket in the door way of a market and got me to take that same fanny pack off and set it on an ice cream freezer. He spun me around like a $2 whore and he and the bag where gone that fast. Standing outside the door where he should have been was the local beat cop. Another team take. 5 months 5000 miles two rip offs. Dont carry a fanny pack and the less you have the less you lose.

Do not believe the hype about Mexico, and so as not to jack this thread cut up used inner tube material in various strips, they make great rubber ties for everything.
Candohome and John

I have spent decent amounts of time down town, in remote villages in a truck (just the one) with just 4 people total in Afghanistan, so personally I am ok with whatever is thrown my way in Mexico. My concern is taking my wife with me. The dynamic changes then, (pluss I am unarmed in Mexico). Anyway I am going for it probably next August, ya it is hot, but that is when I have the time. The best information I feel I could use, is where to absolutly not go (El Salvador?). For now my list is, don't go play around in boarder towns just drive right through. Go to the less traffic infested towns. Don't take it if you don't want it stolen.

So I am not hyjacking this thread, it has been an amazingly written piece of work. I used to have a TW 200 that I played with in the dirt that I had to sell. It was an amazing bike, and until now I couldn't have seen taking it all the way to Panama. I now however think that idea of flying to Panama and buying a thumper and driving it home is really a good idea and the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times lately.

Thanks for the responces and great thread.

Family Youth Yoga and Future Farmers

tylerjwhite screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 11:24 AM
tylerjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #198
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenlegs
Great RR!!! Love the pics, and info. Ride on!

Hey Chickenlegs,

Nice handle! Thanks for the kind words. I have had so much fun writing this ride report. It is therapeutic after getting back from a long ride to the end of the road and back. I just can't wait to head down to South America on my next adventure! I am saving my money. So many people have written me and I am finding lots of fellow riders in the area. So writing a ride report is a fun way to get to know the folks in your area.

Just finished a siding job and the lady was so pleased, she paid me three hundred dollars extra as a tip. HOLY COW! That is a week in the Andes!

And then I notice that this ride report has five stars! How did that happen? I am humbled. I don't even know how that works. I am not worthy.

I will have to write another one of these puppies. Its a HOOT!

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 05-28-2010 at 09:40 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #199
Chickenlegs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
What I love about your ride is:
1. You took a small displacement bike which shows you dont have to spend big bucks to obtain an iconic adventure.
2. You have a minimalist approach with both gear and spending, again, making this seem doable for most anyone with enough drive.
3. You took off by yourself against popular belief that south of the border is an invite for nothing but bad things.
4. Your trip was centered around a dentist appointment (somewhat out there, but I like it)
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #200
wasamoto
Commuter

Oddometer: 20
Excellent ride report.

Love your prose.

Thank you John.

Looking forward to your next one to south america.
wasamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #201
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
Awesome RR! I'm only on page 2 but will finish it tonight!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #202
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words. I am totally stoked. I am saving my money for my next adventure in South America. I am checking out Chileautos.cl online. Looking at little ripper Honda thumpers. Big bux for the Honda Tornado 250. What a sweet bike though. 4500.00 is out of the question for me though. I am focusing on the Honda Storm for 1700.00 brand new, or the Honda Broz for a grand more. I am working hard and saving my money. Already have enough for the flight, a cheap thumper and a couple months travel in South America. Will redirect this thread when I head out for a South American Minimalist Adventure in a few months.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 07-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #203
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
You were right!

John,

After reading your ride report, I scoured the for sale ads and found me a 2001 Super Sherpa with only 2,700 miles on it. I bought it out of state and after bringing it back to my home in Colorado, I have spent the past few months riding it all over the Northern Colorado Rockies. The stock jetting (being lean) actually works great here at 5000+ ft.

My wonderful DR650 was gathering dust, so I finally broke down and sold her. I am now down to the Sherpa for my dual sport riding and have a 1992 Honda XR250L (6-speed) for the really technical off road work such as Moab and the tougher mountain single track areas.

I have taken the Sherpa out on some of the tough rock strewn trails, and it had no problems at all doing the difficult technical areas and then getting me back home on secondary highways.

Anyway, you are right...the Sherpa is a great all rounder.

Waiting for your next ride report.

Ride Safe!

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #204
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hey TaZ9,

Good to hear! Summer in the Rockies on a Super Sherpa? Sounds like heaven to me. It is a GREAT bike. It sure works for me. Now let's see some ride reports and pics. Riding the wheels off a Super Sherpa is one of life's simple pleasures.

(google pic off the internet of a sherpa)

I used to do a lot of stone mason work. If you can lift a couple sacks of cement, you can get a Sherpa out of trouble no matter how deep the sand or mud. It is reassuring for a solo rider like me.

Have fun!

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 07-05-2010 at 09:31 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #205
KSpice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Panama and....

I realize i am a little late to the game but a friend on the Versys forum just put me onto your thread. Just sat down and read your whole report. Nice ride, great ride report.

I am taking off on the 27th to do Portland to Panama. Do not have to be back till mid March so we will see where the road and the guide books lead.

I will be posting on Kawasakiversys.com.

Ride hard, Ride often
KSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #206
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Somehow I'd missed reading this RR until tonight so thanks for the bump Kspice and wow what a RR!

As a new rider who's read too many faceplant stories anyone that rides in the rain/mud/snow/etc (and crosses country after 'oh so scary' country) has my respect! JDowns mad props on such an epic trip and what a great writing style!
1982 NightHawk 450cc - Sold
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #207
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Great report....really like your approach and appreciate your taking the time to bring us along.

So....you must be about ready to take off on your next adventure, eh?
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #208
yeuop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
That was really cool!!
I love this kind of travelling
yeuop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #209
cruthas