Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #106
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Awesome report! I too need to see a dentist after years of neglect and this seems like the perfect excuse. Any chance to get the lat-lon of the dentist and guest house. Or a pointer to the original report.

John
Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #107
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Awesome report! I too need to see a dentist after years of neglect and this seems like the perfect excuse. Any chance to get the lat-lon of the dentist and guest house. Or a pointer to the original report.

John

Hi John,

I stayed in Xela (Quetzaltenango) Guatemala at:

Casa de San Bartolome
Angelina and Jorge are the gracious owners
N14 49.860 W91 30.755

I went to the dentist at:

Mario Recinos
N14 50.166 W91 31.260

I'm no dental expert, but I think it would have cost more than my whole trip to have all this work done in the states. As it was I paid 3250 Quetzals to fix every little thing wrong with my teeth, drill out and refill a dozen old worn fillings, fix a broken front tooth, and fill any little cavities and imperfections. About 400 bucks. And my teeth look better than ever.

My friend back home paid that much for X-rays and a filling. And then had to cough up 1200 more for a root canal when that didn't work. Cha-ching.

Arno says in his RR that he was quoted 25,000 bucks back in the states for the extensive work that Mario did for 2500.00. His ride report is: Bugmurders assault on South America. I met people that fly down just to have dental work done. It pays for the vacation. Riding down is better though.

Have fun,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 04-12-2010 at 10:54 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #108
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns
Hi John,

I stayed in Xela (Quetzaltenango) Guatemala at:

Casa de San Bartolome
Angelina and Jorge are the gracious owners
N14 49.860 W91 30.755

I went to the dentist at:

Mario Recinos
N14 50.166 W91 31.260

I'm no dental expert, but I think it would have cost more than my whole trip to have all this work done in the states. As it was I paid 3250 Quetzals to fix every little thing wrong with my teeth, drill out and refill a dozen old worn fillings, fix a broken front tooth, and fill any little cavities and imperfections. About 400 bucks. And my teeth look better than ever.

My friend back home paid that much for X-rays and a filling. And then had to cough up 1200 more for a root canal when that didn't work. Cha-ching.

Arno says in his RR that he was quoted 25,000 bucks back in the states for the extensive work that Mario did for 2500.00. His ride report is: Bugmurders assault on South America. I met people that fly down just to have dental work done. It pays for the vacation. Riding down is better though.

Have fun,
John Downs
Much appreciated!

John
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #109
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:

These bad boys are 100 ft. long. A third of a football field. They have a 40 foot trailer tacked on to a regular 40 foot semi. I would downshift twice and upshift at the middle trailer and shift into 6th as I was passing the front bumper. That little Super Sherpa can eat Dobles for lunch.
Sometimes I have to crank my 1100GS up to 160 (kph) just to get around those guys. They're no slowpokes.
pax maac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #110
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
minimalist extreme

Extremely fine report, very inspiring for those of us who don't have deep pockets. I'm frankly amazed you were able to travel so far on so few bucks! I'm also amazed that the roads you traveled in Mex. looked so good. It's been some ten years now, but when I lived in Oaxaca the roads were the shits! It took forever to go from Oax. de Juarez to the coast, but that was in a 4X4, not on a bike. The wife invariably tossed her lunch a few times as we crossed the mountains... 'nuff said about that.
Anyhow, chalk me up as another satisfied customer (consumer?) of your most excellent ride report. Small is beautiful!
I just made that up.... not.
Tripletreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #111
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Great adventure! You've a great writing style and loved your pics.

Well done!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #112
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So I spent a lovely week in Arizona visiting after getting back from Panama, and thought this ride report was over. BUT NO. It refuses to end. My Super Sherpa must have secret powers. I loaded that trusty Sherpa into my trailer and hitched it up to my winter escape mobile I used for exiting the snowy Nebraska tundra last February. It is a wrecked 2002 Subaru Forester with a salvaged title. Cosmetically challenged, but pretty nice for a 600.00 car. ( As a sidenote, this is a ride report for people living on the edge of financial solvency). I have put 40,000 miles on it in the last couple years. So I leave Apache Junction in the evening and drive off into the night. Heading up into the mountains near Flagstaff, unbeknownst to me, the transmission cooler sprung a leak. So it starts clunking as it downshifts going up the steep climb into the mountains. It is 11:30 at night, 28 degrees out, and spitting snow. Flagstaff is at 7000 feet, and it is cold out and I decide to pull over at the next 24 hour gas station and check the ATF level in the tranny. Maybe it's low. The car is losing power, but I see an exit ramp 1 mile ahead. And as I coast down to the bottom of the exit ramp twenty miles south of Flagstaff in the middle of nowhere, the car will go no further. ZHHHHHHHHHH. ZHHHHHHHHHH. The engine is purring. But no power is transmitting to the wheels. I am under a streetlight, blocking the offramp at the stop sign. I check the transmission fluid level on the dipstick, AND THERE IS NONE! Sheesh. So I walk through the cold down to a Shell station. But it is closed. Just the lights are on for pumping gas with a credit card. GREAT! So I continue walking down the road to a 24 hour convenience store. Thank GOD there is some ATF for sale in the back. But after walking back and pouring two quarts in, still no go. And I notice ATF is all over the place. I look under the car and see that is spewing out the transmission cooler and the pungent smell of toasted transmission is in the air. By now it is after midnight. Cold as all get out. My car is loaded with tools I had brought down to Arizona to do some remodeling before heading south of the border. My trailer and Sherpa are hitched to the back. What to do. HMMMMM. This should be interesting.

And then a good samaritan drops down the exit ramp in a Jeep and pulls along side to see if I need help. It is after midnight and he is getting off swing shift at the Purina factory. Hey, my Grandpa sold Purina feed at his lumberyard back in Nebraska. So we talk about Purina. Grandpa got a Diamond certificate for selling Purina products for 75 years. He started selling them right after he got back from World War I, and was still going strong when he was in his 90's. He was a stubborn old coot. I remember when I worked at his lumberyard/feedstore in the summer and he sent me down to the railroad yard to unload a hopper car of Purina hog feed into a feed truck. The molasses in the hogfeed caused it to stick to the railcar sides so it wouldn't flow out the bottom of the hopper. So I climbed in and spent the afternoon in 90 degree heat chipping hogfeed off the sides with a shovel. Grandpa came down in the afternoon to see if I was still alive and brought me a grape popsicle. WOW! That meant a lot coming from him. But I digress.

So this nice guy chains up my car and trailer and tows me down to the convenience store where I can warm up and figure out what to do next. The nice twentysomething clerk inside is a single mom. She just moved back in with her parents and needs a car. She offers me 200 bucks for the car. Sold! She has a boyfriend who works on transmissions and Subarus are great in snow country like they have. I decide to unload the Sherpa and ride back to Apache Junction and borrow my sister's truck to come back for my tools and trailer. My sister isn't there since it is sort of a vacation house, but she wouldn't mind if I borrowed her truck in an emergency, and I know where she leaves the key. So I unload the Sherpa and remember that I drained the tank and removed the dirty old fuel filter when I was servicing it after getting home from Panama. I left the fuel hoses hanging so I would remember to put a new filter in when I got home. So by now it is one in the morning and I have to McGyver something to get me going. So the nice young gal who just bought my car gives me a bic pen and I cut 2 inches off the main pen tube body with my handy leatherman and with great effort shove it in the tiny fuel hoses and clamp it down with hose clamps. Good to go. A cop pulls into the parking lot and I ask him if it's snowing out on the interstate. He says it is just flakes and I should be fine. And it is only snowing until it drops down in elevation at milepost 306. I wheel the Sherpa over and fill it up at the gas station and ride off into the night.

It is even colder than it was in the Mexican mountains. And it is just spitting snow. But I am smiling as I ride through the night. I have made it through another interesting twist in this continuing adventure. The road finally drops down and the elevation signs on the side of the road say 5000 ft. then 4000 ft. It's getting warmer. I stop at a rest area and head into the men's room to warm up with the hot air hand driers. I keep hitting the button. I zip down my riding jacket and let the hot air warm up my hypothermic body core crouching down. A trucker walks in and probably thinks I'm on ecstacy or something. I don't care what people think of me. Which works out well in my unusual life.

I get back to my sister's place at 3:30 in the morning and all is quiet. So I park the bike, borrow her truck, and head off to get my trailer and tools. Trucks have heaters, so the drive back is warm. I arrive back in Munds Canyon, twenty miles south of Flagstaff at sunrise. The nice girl who wanted to buy my car is gone. Her shift must be over. But as I am cleaning out the Subaru, I find the title in the glove compartment. WOW! I am an idiot for leaving it in there. But what a stroke of good luck. So I take pictures of the car and decide to move on to plan B and see if I can sell the car to a junk yard. It's not worth fixing.

But just then the fellow in the convenience store tells me that the girl, Jessica, is coming to bring her boyfriend down to look at the car. She doesn't have any money, but wants the car. So it involves waiting around a bit until she borrows some money from her Mom. We go over to the real estate office next door so she can get a notorized bill of sale. I sign the title over to her and it is a done deal.

I always enjoy reading ride reports where things go pear shaped and the riders have to figure their way out of a difficult situation and come up with creative solutions. So I thought I would continue this ride report as I head out once again on the Sherpa for the 1400 mile ride home to Nebraska.

I called my sister to tell her what I have been up to. As it turns out, she is flying into Phoenix tomorrow. I will pick her up at the airport. She is driving back to Oregon next month and will be happy to take a sidetrip to Nebraska to deliver my tools. So I get to ride the Sherpa back home. IT IS ALL GOOD!
So the ride continues.

I will update this report along the way.

JDowns screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 04:31 PM
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #113
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Now that was an adventure! Even without a motorcycle!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #114
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Can't wait for the next episode.

John
Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #115
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks for making me put my work off til manana!

I started reading your report and just couldn't stop. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

One question- Do you remember if they gave you 30 days or 90 days at the Panama border?
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #116
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider2000
Thanks for making me put my work off til manana!

I started reading your report and just couldn't stop. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

One question- Do you remember if they gave you 30 days or 90 days at the Panama border?
Hi Bajarider2000,

I checked my passport and it doesn't say and I wasn't paying attention. Sorry. Most countries gave me 90 days, except Mexico where I asked for longer and they gave me 6 months. As a sidenote, a trip to Panama and back will fill 6 pages of your passport. A whole lot of stampin' goin' on.

I noticed in the Latin America forum that you bought a finca in San Carlos, Panama and are moving down there. Best luck in your venture! Sounds like fun.

I like Panama. Hope to see you down the road.

Best regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 02:36 AM
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #117
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Selling a car that ran good 5 miles back for $200 and still saying it all went well We sure could use more upbeat spirits like yours in this crabby world.

Thanks for the read, I really enjoyed it. My DRZ is jealous of your Sherpa.
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #118
Gcontroller
n00b

Oddometer: 6
This says it all. A Quote.

Nobody makes these adventures come true for you. You just have to make up your mind and GO. You'll never regret it.

Thanks for the report. Time to get my journey started.
Gcontroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #119
KrazyKooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
So the adventure continues. Cool. Good thing I hadn't un-subscribed from it.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #120
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,624
Quote:

Here is a cool little bike that looks like it would get the job done. Honda Bros NXR 125. They don't sell them in the U.S. I'd be tempted if they did.

It probably gets better gas mileage that my 250. But cruising through the desert I only needed 10 liters after 200 miles, so about 75 mpg. I can live with that.
1. this is a great bike 55 mph fast, 72 mpg, 3.2 gallons and 10000's of smiles

2. great writing & pics

3. can't wait for more...

damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote