ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #46
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
http://www.navigon.com/media/18985.jpg?lm=1271073834000

The Navigon MobileNavigator North America uses the NAVTEQ mapset. The same mapset that Garmin CityNavigator NT uses.

It also has lane assist, and if you're using an iPhone 3GS, you don't need to have a network signal in order to use it as a GPS.

I tell you, the turn-by-turn directions are as good as my 478.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 07:17 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #47
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Does the Navigon app allow multi-viapoint route creation? I know the TomTom app does not.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #48
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Does the Navigon app allow multi-viapoint route creation? I know the TomTom app does not.

--mark
Yup.

The 3D panoramic view is pretty cool, too.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 07:25 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #49
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,382
So I bought my iPad with the complete intention of using it as a GPS and tonight I downloaded the first iPad specific GPS app: X Motion

So I'm pretty convinced that this is the end of Garmin. While I'm still waiting on my 3G iPad this one found me by wirelesss pretty easily. Here's what really got me: you can choose between three different maps (google, bing, and motion) and two different satellites and the maps have all the functionality of the native maps - they're super fast and pinching and panning are lightning fast and intuitive. There's also an option to download the maps if you won't have Internet access. No more paying Garmin for stupid updates or having to buy a second map set if you get a new GPS (or lose one or have it stolen).

The best part is this software was $2.99. I'll buy another nav app when it comes out and if I buy all the nave apps it will still be cheaper than one map set from Garmin!

Imagine being freed from Garmin's 1980 interface. From their proprietary memory on the x76 models. I've got a Ram mount working but I haven't solved the waterproof part yet. That shouldn't be hard though. Soon I'll be riding down the road, switching from a road map to a terrain map and then to satellite and being able to swipe and zoom to figure out where the trail picks up again

I'll report back on how the 3G works with X Motion when I get it.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #50
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
...Soon I'll be riding down the road, switching from a road map to a terrain map and then to satellite and being able to swipe and zoom to figure out where the trail picks up again
As you pile into the back of the truck that stopped in your path... this gps obsession is getting out of hand.

The bigger they are, the bigger the distraction, imho.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #51
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
I think you'll find that the 3G does just as well as the WiFi when it comes to data connection. The real issue is what happens when there isn't a signal to access data. At that point you will need onboard maps. Those Navigation apps that provide the option to purchase maps are not much cheaper than Garmin's current map prices.

As for the iPad as an on-bike GPS - I don't think so. The capacitive touch screen is an issue. You will need some conductive gloves to make that work. Then of course there is the waterproof issue. This could be delt with by something like an Otterbox with a conductive membrane. Now you have a HUGE device on your RAM mount.

What I do like the iPad for is Trip Planning when on the road. You still need onboard maps and the GPS is handy but the iPad still needs some data exchange and access capabilities. I think that once v4.0 hits the iPad it will replace my sub-notebook.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #52
sakurama
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
As you pile into the back of the truck that stopped in your path... this gps obsession is getting out of hand.

The bigger they are, the bigger the distraction, imho.
You ever seen the dash of a rally bike? If ever there was a distraction that would be it but if I can manage flat out racing while reading a route sheet I think I'll be fine with the iPad.

I don't look at it as anything more than a "live" map. Would you fold your tank bag map to 2" x 3"? No. I hate having to stop and refold a map every time I run off the side and I love physical maps - I have thousands! I also have a lot of LPs but I'm at the point of giving up the physical thing in favor of one that is updated.

If you're distracted by a GPS don't get one. If you use one already (as I have for the last ten years) then a larger screen will just make things easier.

G
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #53
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
You ever seen the dash of a rally bike? If ever there was a distraction that would be it but if I can manage flat out racing while reading a route sheet I think I'll be fine with the iPad.

I don't look at it as anything more than a "live" map. Would you fold your tank bag map to 2" x 3"? No. I hate having to stop and refold a map every time I run off the side and I love physical maps - I have thousands! I also have a lot of LPs but I'm at the point of giving up the physical thing in favor of one that is updated.

If you're distracted by a GPS don't get one. If you use one already (as I have for the last ten years) then a larger screen will just make things easier.

G
I also have used a gps on my bike and in my car for years, but that's just me. And if you're ok with having a big screen in front of you then fine, but I don't want someone to run into me while they're "changing maps on the go"...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #54
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I'm a firm believer in "natural selection". So, for those people that drive distracted they will either be in jail for killing someone or they will be dead. That's all bad but it's not the fault of the device or it's potential benefits in the proper context.

Let's take the distracted driving discussion over to jo momma and get back to OP. . .

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #55
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK

Let's take the distracted driving discussion over to jo momma and get back to OP. . .
It's a tool - nothing more, nothing less.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #56
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
a friend mentioned an ipad that's the size of a paperback book. I think this would be ideal. I'm sure if the ipad keeps selling at this rate, Apple will come out with as many versions and sizes as possible. I'm sure the one I want will hit the shelves right after I've broken down and bought the older one!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #57
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,118
Intel is announcing a new one at the next show that is supposed to go up against it, I think that I read that it would be Android based.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #58
sakurama
on an endless build

Since threads without photos suck I'll pony up my very first experiment of just putting the iPad on the bike with a Ram mount where my Garmin has been mounted:

and the iPad vertically:

and horizontally:

So obviously it's larger than I expected and a longer Ram arm would extend it a bit higher to clear the instruments it will then go over the screen. Since I haven't actually tried navigating with it I'm going to experiment with that with the 3G model in my truck first. Given the size I may want to do something on the triples or the tank bag but my first thought is to see if I can get it to work up high - that will be better for watching movies.

Kidding! I don't have that kind of patience so perhaps I'll just watch Flannyvision episodes.

If you give up the dash and tuck it in it might be better. I generally use the GPS for mileage and speed so I'd only miss the tach. I would miss it though.

Also, as you can see it's quite reflective. It's easier to see in person but it does have more reflection than the Garmin. That's compensated for slightly by the fact that it's much brighter. I don't see it replacing the Garmin completely since I like its indestructible nature and smaller size for the dirt bike but for road trips this might work.

What I like about the iPad is the speed and brightness. I would like it to be a couple inches smaller - maybe only one even - but I think it has potential. Right now it's attached to the back of the MacAlly case with a Ram suction mount which I wouldn't trust but I have a plate and ball that I'd glue to the case in place but right now for testing this is fine.

Curious if anyone else is giving this a try.

Gregor
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #59
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,210
The size issue seems important. With a waterproof/crashproof case that will be needed to make this more practical we are looking at a pretty big device here. Not sure I want to cover up all my instruments. I have also found that in full daylight the iPad screen is just not bright enough. And of course interacting with the screen with gloves on while possible is not practical either. Good luck with your experiment though, just the kind of innovation we need here in adventure land.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #60
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I agree with Gregor - must have pic's...

TwoNav on my 3G iPad navigating an imported Track from my zumo660. As the iPad aficionado's can tell, this is the iPhone version in 2x. TwoNav have already submitted the "+" version (v2.1.8) that will install as iPad native. Should be available for purchase/update soon.

By the way TwoNav have a promo underway until Sunday, May 16. At some time during the day (?) for two hours only, the price for the Base Version will be reduced to 19.99Euro's = $25. You have to monitor their Facebook page to know when and it seems to take the App Store 10-15min to post it and take it down. They still don't have Routable North America maps available but this app is by far THE superior navigation software on the market.

I have no intention of using this on my bike but as a travel companion for making quick edits to Tracks/Waypoints, I don't think you can beat it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS