ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #106
streakbot97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Has anyone else tried this? +/-'s?
streakbot97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #107
PDsgt
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
I am messing around with this idea. Trying to find an app for the ipad that will store the map and not continually download data using up my data allotment for the month. My biggest issue is that I ride rural roads where 3G is not always available. Anyone know of a mapping app that stores the map?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #108
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Most apps with support for Open Street Maps can download map data for offline use. And many of the GPS companies (TomTom, etc) have apps with offline support, though they tend to be very expensive.

I use Motion-X GPS on my iPhone but it's more suited to offroad riding. They have an app Motion-X Drive which looks good but I've not used it.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #109
PDsgt
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
Spent some time on the bike today, and to be honest, I'm thinking the I-Pad isn't going to work as a GPS on the bike. So far my problem is that I have it in the map pocket in the tank bag. The glare off the clear plastic makes it totally impossible to see.

I have ordered a ram mount to try. Want to see if it's any better without trying to look through the plastic. Ill let you know!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #110
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,392
So I posted a year or so ago thinking I'd try it on my 950 but it was too big. Not so much too big but didn't really fit. Since that post I had another Garmin 276c stolen and since Garmin makes you buy Street Pilot for each device I decided to finally say fuck Garmin. I like the 276 for it's configurabilty but it's interface is prehistoric and the company can pound sand if they think they'll get another red cent from me.

So in the past year I got an iphone 4 and an ipad 2 and have been experimenting with them in the car. I don't miss my Garmin at all as their are some good options for GPS software for the iOS. Anyway, this weekend I finally used the iPad on the bike.

Since my 950 blew up it's engine and I moved to Portland it was time for another bike so I picked up an MV Agusta to replace my stolen Ducati (can you see a pattern in my life in NYC?) and this weekend was my first real overnight trip so I needed a GPS. Coulda used a map but wanted to experiment. Anyway, after looking all over town for a tank bag that would fit the iPad I found this dirt cheap Cortech for $65. The iPad didn't quite fit so I had to open the edges of the window with a seam ripper and then resew them a tad wider. Here's some shots.

Power from a Battery Tender to Cig adapter:

Cut a small opening for the headphone jack:

And yes, the screen was hard to see in bright daylight:

And so for the impressions:

I like it. I usually listen to music when I ride so this was nice as the directions simply spoke over the music so I didn't have to really look at the map too much. I don't think that MotionX is the perfect software but it's pretty good.

Oh, I solved the touch screen issue but cutting holes in an old pair of gloves and patching them with conductive fabric from a pair of iPad/iPhone gloves someone had given me. It was great to be able to just touch the map and move it or pinch it to zoom in. Not to mention to change songs or adjust the volume. It worked pretty well actually - better than I expected. I'm going to buy conductive thread and sew patches on all my gloves.

Would I use it in the rain - no, probably not. I've drowned an iphone that was in my pocket before so the tank bag probably wouldn't be much better. Of course I don't plan on riding the MV in the rain - it's scary enough in the dry!

Anyway, I think there's possiblities here. It was great to bring it in to the restaurant and look up roads on http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ and then put in waypoints that would take me there. I found great roads and when I hit traffic the voice prompts were all I needed. If fact I sorta liked them better than looking at the map.

Overall I think it's a win.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #111
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
I don't think that MotionX is the perfect software but it's pretty good.
I recently found an app "Navfree GPS", different version available for each region (maps come with the app download). I've been using it on my iPhone, and it's iPad compatible too.

I haven't used it enough to have a real verdict, but it's been working fairly well. I had best results by searching for the destination with the built in google search, rather than it's "find" feature.

Name:  mzl.bsozvudh.480x480-75.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  101.0 KB
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #112
gordonmichaellee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
ipad as a GPS

Does anyone have experience with the ipad as a GPS. I was thinking of getting one and I would be getting the maps from mud-maps.com. From what I can gather the maps are available in ( up to ) 25,000 scale and I am told that the PS feature is a bit slow. I would happily sacrifice speed for detail.

Any thoughts????

Cheers Gordo'
gordonmichaellee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #113
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
It makes a superb GPS, having used it with Sygic Mobile Maps. In fact of all the GPSs that I use, Zumo, Nuvi, etc it is the best.

Bit big on a bike though...

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #114
monty341
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
DONT mount it on your bike. It will shake itself apart!!!
monty341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #115
gordonmichaellee
Gnarly Adventurer

What about

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty341 View Post

What about in a tank bag map pocket??

Cheers Gordo'
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #116
gordonmichaellee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
It makes a superb GPS, having used it with Sygic Mobile Maps. In fact of all the GPSs that I use, Zumo, Nuvi, etc it is the best.

Bit big on a bike though...

viz

Does anyone know if you can get the same maps on an iphone???

Cheers Gordo'
Old 09-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #117
Top Dog
TopDog

Oddometer: 18
Check out Trackranger

http://www.advantechdesign.com.au/overview
Ausie product I use in a 4x4 looking to try it on a tablet of some sort still new for me but usb plug in gps aerial works very well
Top Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #118
funguschops
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
it can only be a gps via 3g or are you planning to use a stand alone gps reciever.

i did 13k across oz and back recently.

the ipad was a good electronic directory

but spot was my gps tracking device

different horses for different courses........
funguschops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #119
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty341 View Post
Is that from actual experience or are you just guessing? They've got pretty good build quality and there aren't any moving parts. Garmin's GPS hardware usually fails at the battery contact, but since the iPad's battery is non-removable that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmichaellee View Post
What about in a tank bag map pocket??'
You might have heat issues doing that, especially if the display is turned on while the sun is shining on it. If the GPS and display are running, it gets a bit warm by itself... with the sun and no airflow at all, it will probably overheat. But, it'll shut itself down before getting hot enough to do any damage so there's no risk trying it out.

Worst case scenario you might have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down. Bit of a bummer if you're in the middle of recording a track, or trying to find your way around town.

According to Apple's website, the max operating temperature is 35C, and the max storage temp is 45C. Since it'll shut itself down if it gets too hot while turned on, the storage temp is the one to really worry about. I'm guessing the max storage temp is probably very conservative? Processors often get to around 80C or so before they even turn the cooling fans on, and don't shut themselves down until around 120C. So I reckon as long as you keep a bit of an eye on it while riding, and don't leave the bike parked outside for hours in the sun, you should be safe. If it's extremely hot to touch, put it in the shade or in your backpack or something.

The whole back is aluminium, so if you can get wind over that while riding in extreme temperatures... it should cool down very efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguschops View Post
it can only be a gps via 3g or are you planning to use a stand alone gps reciever.
The 3G iPad has a built in GPS receiver, the wifi one doesn't. I think you may be able to get the wifi iPad to work with an external GPS, but I'm not sure about that. It can definitely be done with some other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmichaellee View Post
Does anyone know if you can get the same maps on an iphone???'
Yup, sure can. In addition to mud maps, garmin, sensis, etc. There are a lot of apps with map data from openstreetmap.org and opencyclemap.org (these apps tend to be free or cheap, and you can edit the maps yourself).

I've been using my iPhone as a GPS for almost 3 years now, and it works great! Personally I think the iPad is too big for a bike, but would be magic in a car.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 10:42 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #120
jrr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Mud maps app - useless

I downloaded mud maps and a handfull of maps. My opinion; it's crap.

Maybe I'm using it wrong, but its functionality is poor (particularly on an ipad - there's only an iphone version, so it's just double screen size on ipad). It is damn hard to know which of the downloaded maps apply to your location, and the zoom settings for those detailed maps do not allow me to zoom out nearly far enough so it's impossible to know what is around you.

Mind you, I'm used to running oziexplorer on an old ipaq. I'm very much looking forward to them developing a version for ipad & iphone.
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote