User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 579
Question Shipping a trials bike.

There are not any new or used trials bikes around Boise. There are some for sale in Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado....but nothing within 100 miles of home. I really like a bike in Albuquerque but I don't want to drive all that way to get it. I have done a quick quote on Bikehaul and it seems like it will be about $600. That is less than it would cost me to drive there to get it. Anybody know of any other ways to ship a trials bike? Since they are so light and closer to a bicycle than a street bike I am thinking there may alternative shipping methods I do not know.

TIA.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Get on Uship.com

I just sold two Honda CB125t's that are being transported together from 30 miles north of Seattle, all the way to Phoenix AZ for $450.

You can get a cheaper quote from Albuquerque than $600.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
6 different carriers from 160- 240. Bike has to be crated. Original would be the best. Dock or forklift p/u at both ends for these prices. 3 day delivery. Nothing to it.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Trials bikes are very easy to crate. Trials dealers will normally crate them up for pretty cheap money using a crate the new bikes come in. Minimal reassembly required. If your seller is located near a dealer, you may ask them to make arrangements. We use forward air and typically charge $250 to $300 to crate and ship cross country using the GasGas commercial account. However, the closest FA terminal is in SLC. May be worth the extra money shipping door to door. Beta uses Estes door to door- but they are more expensive. May be worth it in your case.

Just checked and there IS a GG dealer in Albuquerque NM - He may provide the service if you give him a call. Probably helping one of his customers out to boot. Most trials dealers are great guys who are in it for the love of the sport - so I wouldn't hesitate to call. May have some other options for you as well.

trev@trialdogmotorsports.com

(505) 730-5614

Trevor Clancy
805 Adams Pl. SE
Albuquerque, NM
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

I knew there had to be a better way. I have sent Trevor an email and will go to Uship and see what they can do for me.

Thank you for the help and of course I'll post pictures when I get it.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I`ve been using frieghtcenter.com to get the best pcices. Class is 100, weight usually is 200lbs. Then you just need crate demensions. Trevor would help if he is in town. He`s been out and about lately. We are having a two day event the weekend after labor day, just to make a drive more reasonable.
And all you have to do is ask, I`ll give you my two cents on any bike around here. I`ve probably sold it,worked on it or at least caught it!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I`ve been using frieghtcenter.com to get the best pcices. Class is 100, weight usually is 200lbs. Then you just need crate demensions. Trevor would help if he is in town. He`s been out and about lately. We are having a two day event the weekend after labor day, just to make a drive more reasonable.
And all you have to do is ask, I`ll give you my two cents on any bike around here. I`ve probably sold it,worked on it or at least caught it!
I'll take you up on that offer.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post

We are having a two day event the weekend after labor day, just to make a drive more reasonable.

I`ve probably sold it,worked on it or at least caught it!
I would say all three. Yes, Lineaway can set you strait.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Thumb PITA but worth it.

So I got it worked out for Trevor @ Trialdog Motorsports to crate the bike and freightcenter.com took care of the shipping. Yea it is a Beta in a Gasgas crate.

The check for the bike that was sent 2 day mail and should have been there Thursday.....ended up getting there Tuesday. The bike was supposed to get here Friday....got here Monday. Picked it up right before we went to the airport to pick up the wife's parents coming in from Brazil. Made for a tight ride in the truck but well worth it....for me anyways. Got it uncrated. Added oil and premix and it fired up on the 4th kick. Fixed a flat in the front tire.....first time patching a tube in.........a really long time. Got lucky and did not pinch it putting the tire back on. My first impression is that it is smaller and lighter than I expected.

Have practiced doing some figure 8's in the driveway and go out to the local secret practice area Sunday with the big boys for a real taste of trials riding. Can't wait.

Thanks for all the help.

SCExpat screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 08:41 AM Reason: fat fingers.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

How much did you pay? Now do those figure 8's blindfolded.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Great deal for an as `new` bike!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

The bike was $2000, $240 for shipping and $150 to Trevor to drain the oil and gas, put it in a shipping crate and make araingements with the shipper about when and where to pick up the bike and help load it up. The bike is like new and I know it has potential well above my skill level for many years.

The figure 8's are good on flat pavement but stopping for any length of time is up to this point........ impossible.

My biggest problem is that I get bored after 10 minutes practicing figure 8's in the driveway. So i am really looking forward to some varied terrain.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

That was a great deal for the bike and the shipping. Trevdog is very very trustworthy. Glad it worked out for you. Open knees, relax. Let the bike work and move under you. Rhythm and flow.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 298
Figure 8s do get boring. I usually alternate 8's and left right rear wheel hops. About 1/2 an hour is usually what Ive got. Doing the 8's with a spot of booze in ya will also tune in your balance. For stopping and balancing, I like dead engine practice. Set up in the garage and just stand on it. Put a milkcrate next to you so you dont have to dab all the way to the ground. None of this will seem like it is helping, but it is. Figure 8s from pavement to dirt/grass/sand/gravel etc and back are also great practice, as it is rare that a course is all hard surface. Hoping the front over a curb while keeping your figure 8 tight is also good.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
Figure 8s do get boring. I usually alternate 8's and left right rear wheel hops. About 1/2 an hour is usually what Ive got. Doing the 8's with a spot of booze in ya will also tune in your balance. For stopping and balancing, I like dead engine practice. Set up in the garage and just stand on it. Put a milkcrate next to you so you dont have to dab all the way to the ground. None of this will seem like it is helping, but it is. Figure 8s from pavement to dirt/grass/sand/gravel etc and back are also great practice, as it is rare that a course is all hard surface. Hoping the front over a curb while keeping your figure 8 tight is also good.
Practicing just got fun.

I'll start another thread with a question about how to turn so ti will not be buried in a shipping thread.