Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
westy1717 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Noob (battery inquiry)

Hi folks,

I posted awhile back and since I pulled the trigger on a very gently used 800GS in the extra fast Dark Magnesium Metallic, have a quesiton.

2009 20,000KMs

I bought the bike used from the PO who bought it at BMW. The bike is still under factory warranty until April.

When I started it and test rode it, I noticed the battery seemed a little weak (bike had been sitting for a number of months) and knew that it would likely have to be charged or replaced (Im ok with that).

I removed the battery charged it up with other day (1.5 amp) and then let it sit for a day. My apologies if this has been answered a hundred times in other threads but figured Id ask here.

The resting voltage is 12.3.

Battery is pooched right?

I would guess batteries aren't normally covered under warranty - am I wrong?

Appreciate all responses.
westy1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,820
If that's the original battery it's time for a new one. And you get to pay for it unfortunately
IBA #42016

my ride reports

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Weak for sure

I wouldn't say the battery is done, but the bike being a 2009 the battery is coming to the end of it's life for sure. Do not buy an OEM unit as there are many other better options available. Welcome and nice ride.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Yes... at 13.2 battery is dead.... Or just about there. To make sure your charging system is ok... have a look here....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809879

And if it is not..... Here is how to fix the R/R with a workable one....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781564

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
westy1717 OP
Adventurer

Thanks folks. I figure if I really needed to I could get a little more life out of the battery - but being stranded isn't worth the $70. Ill head over to Carquest and see what they've got for batteries.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,975
Well I hate to contradict, but I've replaced a hundred batteries on warranty. Depends on your Dealer but if it is still under warranty then argue the point. No skin off the Dealer.

Myself, I'm set to order a Deka from http://www.saskbattery.com/ecommerce_177.htm . Says free shipping. Do a search here on Deka. Seems to be a wise choice. Uh, wal mart sells batteries for our bikes. Just sayin'. Deka's better and cheaper tho.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Well I hate to contradict, but I've replaced a hundred batteries on warranty. Depends on your Dealer but if it is still under warranty then argue the point. No skin off the Dealer.

Myself, I'm set to order a Deka from http://www.saskbattery.com/ecommerce_177.htm . Says free shipping. Do a search here on Deka. Seems to be a wise choice. Uh, wal mart sells batteries for our bikes. Just sayin'. Deka's better and cheaper tho.
I think that Deka battery is cheaper on Amazon with free shipping.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Maybe if we were Merkin.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
westy1717 OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys - appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Yup. Now, I will say, that in most bikes' warranties, in most countries, the dealer is perfectly entitled to tell you where to go, as in the small print batteries are considered 'consumables'.

Depends on the usage of the bike and the amount of lapsed time though; I'd be laughing all the way to the small claims court if I rode a brand new bike out of a dealership and the next morning, it wouldn't start and the dealer tried to get out of paying for the new battery necessary to fix the problem. Conversely, even the most mild-mannered dealer would have to bite their lip extremely hard if a customer brought in a bike 1 day before a 2 year warranty was up and asked for a new battery and then upon checking their mileage saw it was only in the hundreds.

In between, there's a whole spectrum of grey and a lot of it comes down to customer service and how much they value you as a customer. Me personally? If you'd bought the bike not from me, but from one of my customers and the battery had been in the bike for almost 4 years, this is not something I'd do under warranty.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Yep, agree with you Ceri CJ. In this case tho, the OP is close to me and we have a number of Dealers we can visit on a good riding day. It is not recorded that you "tried" to claim warranty so ask and ask again. Having worked at a Dealer for 3 years I was involved in many warranty claims and quite a few weren't "warranted" but we pleased the customer regardless. The Dealer doesn't assume the cost, it's passed on to the Fatherland and the Dealer makes a bit on labour. It's all about economics. Part of your purchase price covers warranty and recall, kinda like insurance. It's faster and cheaper to just do it rather than spend everyone's time arguing about it. BMW's batteries are a known problem. "Good Faith" warranty. I've replaced batteries that I just could not fault. They may or may not have gone on to start my mowers for years after.

"Hey, I just bought this bike and am looking for new gear, accessories and future service. Can you have a look at my battery? It seems bad to me"

Us Canucks are just so friendly!