User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 03:50 AM   #61
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
Do you have kitchen/cooking gear... I generally devote one hour at least per day to find "local fare" and cook my breakfast and dinner....

Old 10-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #62
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Safe travels! Have you considered wintering in Mexico? Your $40 might go farther. Just a thought
Not if he's tenting it at free or cheap camping areas.

Fuel costs more.
Beer costs more.
Food is a little less.
Housing is a lot less. (There's the big savings)
Old 10-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #63
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
If Arrrrrgggghhh stood on a stool, he'd have to pull my balls hard to kiss um! (but he's got such a cute accent, I'd give him a boost...)
YOu are sooo nice to me...
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
But i still hate you. As long as that's clear, you can have your cheese
Old 10-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #64
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,282
One more San Diegan who wants to buy you dinner and a beer.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:22 PM   #65
Vance OP
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Hello and thanks to all. Well, I just sold the computer/tools and TV last night (am typing from Kinkos in Montain View) Wen't to sears and bought a Samsung Digimax 430, 4.0 mega pixel camera (199 on sale...fit the budget and has video w/sound as well... so I will try and find some hill climb events to film on the way. My favorite motorcyele noise! and footage...) Bought an expandable Marsee tank bag too. I got the quick release magnet bottom for the mexico trip where I don't want anything left on the bike...then I will use the straps the rest of the trip so the thing won't fly off at speed!

I am here learning to upload pics today...so did not have time to read the PM's at 20 cents per minute...please forgive...talk soon... (need to post the pics to craigslist of the rest of my apartment full of furniture)

Stay verticle!

V
Old 10-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #66
Vance OP
Banned

Well fuck! Looks like I will have to buy an old laptop. Kinkos does not let you upload pictures through their computers due to proprietary software issues... (I am sure that the libraries will be the same way...) Oh, well... maybe I will change the name of this thread to "the USA on $35.00 per day!

Fuckit I'll figure it out. I just need a beer.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #67
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Well fuck! Looks like I will have to buy an old laptop. Kinkos does not let you upload pictures through their computers due to proprietary software issues... (I am sure that the libraries will be the same way...) Oh, well... maybe I will change the name of this thread to "the USA on $35.00 per day!

get a usb card reader, very cheap and not too big. You can DL into any windows program. All those cards are is a mini hard drive with jpgs on 'em. There is no proprietary software. Actually, it should recognize the camera as another hard drive. wtf????
Old 10-22-2004, 08:43 PM   #68
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by osii
get a usb card reader, very cheap and not too big. You can DL into any windows program. All those cards are is a mini hard drive with jpgs on 'em. There is no proprietary software. Actually, it should recognize the camera as another hard drive. wtf????
Vance, you might be able to do that or just plug the camera in and open the camera using windows explorer. If they are using XP most prolly the camera drivers already on teh system... then upload, go to your local library tomorow...just try it...
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
Old 10-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #69
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRRGGGHHNUT
Vance, you might be able to do that or just plug the camera in and open the camera using windows explorer. If they are using XP most prolly the camera drivers already on teh system... then upload, go to your local library tomorow...just try it...

I sure would like to know how to do that.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Old 10-23-2004, 01:29 AM   #70
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez
I sure would like to know how to do that.
easy unless they add security to their systems, most of the libs at small towns don't secure their machines good enough. They seem to only disable things like telnet...and ftp
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
Old 10-23-2004, 07:16 AM   #71
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRRGGGHHNUT
easy unless they add security to their systems, most of the libs at small towns don't secure their machines good enough. They seem to only disable things like telnet...and ftp
Alright, guerrilla tech support!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #72
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,895
Vance, since you'll be cutting across southern US-you can have a bed/shower/meal in NuevoMexico. I promise you'll love the food. PM when in the neighborhood. Good luck sounds like a great trip---I even have a cable modem.

Like someone else said, bring a cookset--I pot/lid with stove that fits inside. A can of chef boy ar dee or chili at night with a tortilla ain't delux but will fill ya up and is dirt cheap. Have some tea and oatmeal in the a.m. and eat out at lunch only (or with ADVriders)

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Old 10-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #73
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,422
Hey Vance,

I too am in the market for a portable internet device. I looked at some laptops but a 1 gig refurb set up was still in the $800 $900 range, and a decent new one was over $1200.

So I started looking at some of these "palm" type things and came up with a Palm treo 600. it's about $400 and takes SD cards (camera memory) and most of the providers offer unlimited web access for $20 a month.

I tried one of the early sidekicks and was very dissappointed. I'm hoping that these newer devices are up to the tasks. A laptop is just too damm big/heavy/and delicate for the kind of riding we do. I'm thinking of going with the treo and the $20 a month deal. Even though you can use it as a cell phone I'm still gonna stick with a separate cell phone for now. I don't wanna have to be married to the treo and would rather have a small cell phone handy.

When all you are doing is uploading images, checking email, and posting in here, I think that will do the trick. You can still use libraries and just email doc's to yourself.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mike
Old 10-23-2004, 11:53 AM   #74
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
re. laptop

Quote:

I don't know what your budget is for a laptop but you might want to look at Averatec. I carry a laptop on the RTP daily as does a couple of my friends at work and have yet to have any problems. Samsclub.com carries them. They are small and have about everything you need including wireless for about a grand. The only real drawback is the lack of ports besides 3 USB and the keyboard is a little small for us hamfisted folks.

Good luck on your trip. I'm looking forward to reading about it. If you hit San Diego I'm sure we can save you the 40 that day.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #75
Vance OP
Banned

Thanks to all for the upload advice. I'll try some of the stuff prior to leaving...Got to get back to the place and sell more stuff!

Tools-gone
computer-gone
tv-gone
bed/frame-gone
Closed Thread