User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cross USA- Based From San Francisco. 8-2013

Hello all, I am going to go ahead and announce my cross country trip.

I'll be leaving from San Francisco around the 12th of August, and hope to be in Indianapolis at the latest by the 9th of September.

Sometime around the 9th, I'll stow my bike with relatives, fly home for a few weeks to keep the lady happy, and work a few shifts(EMS). I'll be home for about 2 weeks, then fly back w/ my mom as she goes to visit family in Mich and Indiana. I'll see all of her family that I have never really gotten to know for a few days, and then continue on for the 2nd leg of my trip. Sept 25-as late as Oct 27.

I've traveled fairly extensively around the world as a backpacker/otherwise, and feel as though I've neglected any effort to see my own country other than the West Coast. The time has come for me to see where my fellow countrymen live, and gain an increased understanding of the rest of the U.S.

The tentative dates for my 2nd leg, 9-25 a 10-27, will cover from Indianapolisish-> the East Coast (Undetermined), then south through the Blue Ridge Parkway and towards Louisiana/New Orleans. From there I'll make my way back home along the southern route.

My dates are flexible, but the above represents the rough schedule I hope to keep.

I've made a rough route for the first leg, but would love any tips/must sees, etc you may have. Here's a link for my tentative route. http://goo.gl/maps/Sr7DO
All is flexible, now that I'm all ready to go, I'm getting a bit of cold feet, but meh bah- f it I'm going :-)

I look foreword to your tips/advice, and hopefully I'll meet up with those of you who are willing to share some ride time with me along the route. I'll try to keep this updated, though posting photos may be difficult along the way.

Ride Safe, and I'd love to meet some of u along the way.
-WC
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to hearing about it. Have fun.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I did that in 2005. I rode from Boston to Carmel for MotoGP. I left the bike in Danville for a few weeks. Then I flew to SFO and rode it back. I took the northern plains route west. Chicago, Badlands, Black Hills, Sheridan, Yellowstone, Idaho, Yosemite Carmel. I camped at Badlands and spend a couple days poking around there. Wounded Knee etc.

Then for the return I took the high deserts. Vegas, North Rim, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Shiprock, Taos, St Louis...

I rode quite a few dirt roads as I was aboard a dual sport. Fantastic way to see the continent. Not many people seem to live in the west. Open spaces.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

I worked the ambulance at the track at moto GP a few years ago, I wonder if it was the same year you were on your trip. Laguna Seca is a nice raceway and the sounds those bikes put out are drool inducing.

I'm on a 2007 KLR, so I'll be looking for some fast moving dirt roads along the way as well :-) It looks like I'll be seeing a similar route. Once I get to Mt Rushmore I'm kinda at a loss regarding what route to take towards Indianapolis.

I'll ask along the road and see where the locals direct me :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Why not take Hwy 1 up the Cal coast to 101... maybe cut inland at 199 to Grants Pass and on to Crater Lake... or take 299 out of Arcata to 96 north?

The valley can be really hot and not great riding.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
Why not take Hwy 1 up the Cal coast to 101... maybe cut inland at 199 to Grants Pass and on to Crater Lake... or take 299 out of Arcata to 96 north?

The valley can be really hot and not great riding.
I did Highway 1 up to Vancouver Island on my KLR, before I made it more comfy, about 3 years ago. I've driven that route a number of times now as I live on the coast. The twisties on 1 are so much fun, but I'm trying to get out of CA in the first 2-3 days. I'm going to stay w/ my buddy in Redding before heading up to Crater Lake. 5 is boring, but it'll only be 3 hours of boring riding before I am almost out of the state.

I'll look into 299, I'm not immediately familiar w/ it.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!
-WC
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Tamalerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
If you left the 14th, i could probably ride first 3-4 days with you and then i'd head back to the bay. I'm in SF too. Shoot me an email. Danielveneski@Gmail.com
Tamalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Well here are a few dirt roads through interesting places. But first you should join AAA and get their free maps. They have lots of dirt roads. You'll want to start with Indian Country, which is from Las Vegas to Cimarron, NM. All high country.

1. From St. George UT: Ride south through Mt. Trunbull park to Toroweap point and camp. Check with the ranger station in St. George first to make sure the roads are dry. Mud will stop you. It's about 60 miles to the point.
2. From the camp ride the road norheast to 389 near Fredonia. Another 70 miles.
3. Ride east on 89a past Jacob Lake to House Rock. It is a dirt intersection. Take House Road north to 89 (35 miles). turn east on 89 for about 5 miles. Find Cottonwood Creek road on your left just past the ranger station.
4. Take Cottonwood Creek Rd north through the Kodachrome Canyon to Cannonville. Camp at the KOA. Maybe see Bryce the next morning.
5. Head east on the most spectacular stretch of tar I've ever ridden. Hwy 12 to Boulder.
6. Stop in the diner in Boulder and check with the rangers there about mud. If good, take the Burr Trail over the mountains to Bullfrog. Take the ferry to Hall's Crossing. That is the end of the dirt through here.
7. From Hall's Crossing find Hwy 261 south. You'll be dropping down the side of a platue for 1000 feet to the Valley of the God's and Mexican hat. It's called the Mokee Dugway. Google it.
8. Spend the night in Mexican Hat and have a steak BBQ at the Swingin' Steak. Don't drink too much because the next morning you will tale a long dirt loop through Monument Valley. It is pretty sandy. There is also a dirt loop through the Valley of the Gods. I didn't take that.

From there I would visit Canyon de Chelley and take the back way northeast to Ship Rock. Indian 13 is like the Tail of the Dragon. Then hwy 64 to Taos. Try and see the Taos Pueblo. It's open a couple days a week. It's their home, though, so they have private stuff going on there a lot.

I'd continue east on 64 to Cimarron. The Santa Fe Trail is a little south of there. You can take that all the way to Kansas City. Plains. Old western towns. Grain Elevators.

If you take a northern plains route back, it is very different. I'd be riding through Wisconsin. MN, SD, WY, ID, NV. I can post a coulple routes for that too. Particularly around Mt. Rushmore and Badlands.

Teasers:

Toroweap Camp:

Kodachrome on the Cottonwood Creel Rd:

MV loop:

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

Cool2

Those pictures are awesome! I may try a reverse route of what u recommended on my return. I'm headed north->east for the first leg, and returning through the south. Thanks for the tips! I already have AAA :-)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

Email sent Tamale. Looks like I'm leaving Saturday though :-/
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

West to East Key Points:

Crater Lake (OR)
Lava Caves (OR)
John Day Fossil Beds Ntl*Monument*(OR)
Wallowa National Forest (OR)
Clearwater Ntl Forest (ID)
Ntl Bison range (MT)
Flathead Lake (MT)
Glacier Ntl Park (MT) ****Going to the Sun Road*****
Big Sky (MT)
Yellowstone (WY)
Grand Teton (WY)
Devils Tower (WY)
MT Rushmore (SD)
Badlands (SD)
Omaha (Caitlin's Friend)(NB) or Algona German POW Camp (IA)
Field of Dreams Baseball Field (IA)

Again, add your suggestions for other POIs
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

I think I'll be doing most photos under the hashtag #wcXCmoto . I'm going to be posting them on facebook/instragram as its the easiest way I've found. I'll also try to get them up here.

My FB group is under WC XC Moto, so if you would like to follow along, just add urself and say ur fro adv and I'll let u in. Thx!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,526
You have almost a month, you could ride more than under 4k miles. You skip Rt 212 Beartooth hwy east of Yellowstone- this is one of the best roads in that part of the country.
I just completed a cross country loop, a lot of good roads http://myroad.info/showtrack.html?id=488&lang=en

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #14
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

My map is just rough, I'm not necessarily going that specific route. Thanks for the tip out of yellowstone, I'll definitely add it in. As for the mileage, it depends on how long I stay in each spot. There's not hard schedule, I'm just gonna see what I find, and go wherever I'm directed/feel is right. If you have any more must see routes definitely put them up for me!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #15
wcprominence OP
Adventurer

Oh and BTW. That photo gps map u posted is sweet!