ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
ttraynor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Akra map for piped Adventure?

OK--not actually "piped" but canned--I have Wings cans with baffles pulled and a Rottweiler Airbox waiting for my 2012 990. I find the bike ridden as is has a throttle delay before power comes on fully--maybe secondary butterflies softening the hit?

Anyways I will likely load an appropriate TuneECU map once the Rottweiler is installed. Should I--can I--have dealer load an Akrapovic map first? Is there one for this bike? Might that alter the secondary action as well?

Bike has very good low RPM characteristics--just want to amp it up to near what my piped and air-boxed SMT 990 puts down (120 HP on Dyno).

Thanks!

ttraynor screwed with this post 05-02-2015 at 08:27 AM
ttraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,913
The akra map will be a good starting point for the open filter, but not the last word. You will only be sure if you fit a wideband and hit the roads (and the laptop).
A good FI map has to have an on the lean side steady state AFR which is enriched to close to best torque AFR as you accelerate. The stock ECU has already got such an intrinsic 'accelerator pump' effect, but I do not believe is open to adjust via TuneEcu.

So, my advice would be to get the akra map, deactivate and remove secondaries, deactivate the lamda sensors and SAS and fit and monitor a wideband sensor. From that you will get an idea where you are lean/rich and where not. Then adjust the stock ecu via tuneEcu. That is the cheapest way to (properly) do things.
An easier way will be to also get a PCV since it makes fueling adjustments a tad easier and on top of that gives you the accelerator pump functionality which is the only way to achieve both perfectly good fuel economy and crisp acceleration at the same time. Before that though, you will have to see if the stock accelerator pump functionality in the ECU is enough to compensate for the open filter.

After you make a good base map, you may fit the lamdas back and make a judgement if you want them there or not.

And last but not least, if your SMT makes a true 120bhp on the back wheel, be a bit weary as to how lean the map is. ITG/Rot filter does not give that much more power than stock airbox/filter, just better acceleration. KTM engineers were not silly to loose power while designing their intake. The usual trick of tuners is to make fueling very lean up top to get more power and satisfy customers but this is not very healthy for the engine.

mousitsas screwed with this post 05-02-2015 at 11:47 PM
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM   #3
ttraynor OP
Adventurer

I thought there was no TuneECU ability with these ECU's--can anyone confirm?

Thanks for your input!
Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM   #4
hutch990r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraynor View Post
I thought there was no TuneECU ability with these ECU's--can anyone confirm?

Thanks for your input!

umm...yeah there is

Here is the mega thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633558
hutch990r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM   #5
ttraynor OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=hutch990r;26705783]umm...yeah there is

Here is the mega thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633558[/QU

Oops--sorry. Getting this bike confused with me SDR 1290 with Akra/Rottweiler tuning pending.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #6
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
The akra map will be a good starting point for the open filter, but not the last word. You will only be sure if you fit a wideband and hit the roads (and the laptop).
A good FI map has to have an on the lean side steady state AFR which is enriched to close to best torque AFR as you accelerate. The stock ECU has already got such an intrinsic 'accelerator pump' effect, but I do not believe is open to adjust via TuneEcu.

So, my advice would be to get the akra map, deactivate and remove secondaries, deactivate the lamda sensors and SAS and fit and monitor a wideband sensor. From that you will get an idea where you are lean/rich and where not. Then adjust the stock ecu via tuneEcu. That is the cheapest way to (properly) do things.
An easier way will be to also get a PCV since it makes fueling adjustments a tad easier and on top of that gives you the accelerator pump functionality which is the only way to achieve both perfectly good fuel economy and crisp acceleration at the same time. Before that though, you will have to see if the stock accelerator pump functionality in the ECU is enough to compensate for the open filter.

After you make a good base map, you may fit the lamdas back and make a judgement if you want them there or not.

And last but not least, if your SMT makes a true 120bhp on the back wheel, be a bit weary as to how lean the map is. ITG/Rot filter does not give that much more power than stock airbox/filter, just better acceleration. KTM engineers were not silly to loose power while designing their intake. The usual trick of tuners is to make fueling very lean up top to get more power and satisfy customers but this is not very healthy for the engine.
Is all this relevent to a 06 990 too ?
Ive thought about a PCV sometimes, but wondered how to do it properly.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #7
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Is all this relevent to a 06 990 too ?
Ive thought about a PCV sometimes, but wondered how to do it properly.
Yes it is.
I am not sure if PCV fits (not listed in PC site but some say it does fit), but PC3 does and also has accelerator pump.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote