ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 12:29 PM   #1
Rikimoto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Electrical Gremlin - I wasn't swimming, just wading!

And I return to the wisdom of the OC

Saturday was out for a little romp in the woods, following around some noobs and all was well for a nice relaxed ride. Upon completing a loop a returning to the staging area, I decided to entertain myself with a rip through some of the muddy ruts off to the side, some of which were deep and full of water, up to the wheel hubs at their deepest.

Plowing merrily along, I was almost out of the last rut, when the dash flashed everything, and the motor died. Then everything was off. Trying to restart resulted in no response from the bike, no lights, no dash.

Luckily, every other bike wasn't road legal so my truck was there and I loaded it and brought it home.

Upon letting things dry and spraying some Water Displacement #40, I checked the main fuses and starter relay and see nothing untoward, everything in tact. Still nothing when I turn the key. Pull battery out and clean muddy water out of the box, ditch the battery tender leads and decide to connect it one more time. Magically everything works again.

So, do I blame the tender leads? Is the start relay half pooched? Can I just go through every connector with some dielectric grease and be confident it's done with or is this sign of imminent failure of some part?

**EDIT: Upon further research, it appears that yes I need to waterproof/relocate starter relay as well as other electrical sensitivities down low. Please ignore my weak search skills.**

Rikimoto screwed with this post Today at 03:30 PM
Rikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote