Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Dominik78 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Why did you switch from 1190 Std to R (or vice versa)?

From browsing the forums it seems (anecdotally) that there are more people who switched from the 1190 Std to the R. Just curious to hear some more details from those of you have made a switch in either direction. Thanks!
Dominik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Haven't done it myself but I've noticed a few who have gone from the standard to the R. Perhaps they decided that they are more committed to heartier off road riding. I had a 990R that I had two sets of wheels for - the original 21/18 and a set of Alpina tubeless 19/17 with the intent of switching back and forth depending on my riding. I hardly ever switched back to the 21/18 so when I decided that I was going to flip into an 1190, I knew I wanted the bike with the 19/17 because my 990 performed so well in every situation I needed it for and it literally carved the shit out of road curves. I also wanted to experience the electronic suspension system so I chose the 1190 standard despite having a natural preference for any ktm with an orange painted frame :)

Seriously though, the wheel sizing and suspension were my two deciding factors but that is based almost entirely on my "usual or typical" riding which is mostly paved, gravel or dirt roads. / green lanes. I'm simply not rock-hopping or single-tracking with my 1190. If I really want to do that, I'll get a smaller, lighter machine (maybe another 690 Enduro one day)... Hope this helps.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Dominik78 OP
Adventurer

Yeah, it does seem that there are more people who went from the Std to the R for one reason or another. Did the electronically adjustable suspension live up to your expectations?

Love the Dune reference btw!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I was set on a base model. I demo'ed my dealer's personal '13 1190 and it was exactly what I wanted: a sportbike for all roads that was comfy and could carry a passenger and more stuff than my RC8R. I never even considered the R as exploring where forest roads go or using gravel to connect the best twisty asphalt was going to be it's intended use. Problem was he had sold out his allotment and couldn't find another bike in the region. Then an R became available. I ended up buying it and am glad I did. The thing about only wanting to do gravel roads quickly leads to finding where jeep roads go and then trails and then... I am sure you could do this on the base, but the R is much more suited.

My major concern with the R turned out to be null. I thought the 21/18 would really slow down the performance on the pavement. It does not at all. The Conti TA'2 are stickier than you will ever need on pavement except for triple digit speed sweepers. I did a track day on it in the intermediate group and was still faster than most (though on straights aerodynamics of a barn door will be limiting). On tight roads you can ride it damn near supermoto speeds, and then not give up anything to sport bikes on more open stuff. This is true of the base as well, but point is you really aren't handicapped by the R on pavement. I plan to get a 19/17 street setup and leave the 21/18 setup with more offroad capable tires.

In my opinion the R is the better bike. Not saying this because I have one, but because I see now in hindsight that the R is much more versatile. You can get a set of 19/17's to make the R same as base for speedwork on the pavement, but you can't add 21/18's to the base to make it more off road worthy. The suspension is better on the R. Subjectively I think the R is a better looker. About the only downside I can see to the R is if you have shorter legs. You won't go wrong with either bike, but if you are tall enough for the R, it is the way to go.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
About the only downside I can see to the R is if you have shorter legs.
Actually, the Base has a plus if you have longer legs: more legroom! So if you are sure you want 19/17 setup always and forever then that is a plus for the Base model even if you are tall enough to rock the R.

I have 36" inseam and riding the stock R was painful after a while in the saddle as the seat to peg distance is tight (the seat is cutout to lower height and pegs are higher for clearance). Had to go to PP Ergo seat in upper position which raised it about 3.5cm with Fastway pegs in lower position (about 1cm lower) to unbend my legs some.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik78 View Post
Yeah, it does seem that there are more people who went from the Std to the R for one reason or another. Did the electronically adjustable suspension live up to your expectations?

Love the Dune reference btw!
I am absolutely thrilled with the suspension so far. I'm bigger than the average bear so I tend to set the preload setting to rider + luggage instead of just rider. I love being able to adjust the suspension settings independently from power / ABS / MSC settings and I love being able to that on the fly while riding. The bike's agility is incredible - I can ride it faster than my current ducati 999R and faster than I was able to on my former RC8R and ride along at ludicrous speeds all day without breaking a sweat. I get that most people are perfectly happy with their R 21/18 setup mostly because these Conti II can perform better than many of us can ride but given my experience with my former 990R adventure with its Alpina 19/17 wheels, I wasn't prepared to look back at a 21/18 setup. I rode a few other bikes with adjustable suspension systems similar to my bike's - specifically the aprilia Caponord and the ducati multistrada. Both felt clunky and primitive compared to the KTM. Forget all that crap about leaking oil, leaking coolant, loose head bearings, slow leaking tubeless rims, incorrect speedometer, heat- related complaints, etc, etc - this bike is absolutely amazing in every way. You will not be disappointed. The only thing for me (and I get that this is subjective) is that the 1190R is a better looking bike with that glorious orange frame and nicer black / white color scheme but as I said, it's a personal choice...

Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Dominik78 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The thing about only wanting to do gravel roads quickly leads to finding where jeep roads go and then trails and then... I am sure you could do this on the base, but the R is much more suited.
That's so true. Off-road exploration adds a whole new element to the ride and its hard to just stop with bigger service roads when the bike is capable of so much more.

Quote:
You can get a set of 19/17's to make the R same as base for speedwork on the pavement, but you can't add 21/18's to the base to make it more off road worthy.
That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
The bike's agility is incredible - I can ride it faster than my current ducati 999R and faster than I was able to on my former RC8R and ride along at ludicrous speeds all day without breaking a sweat.
Wow!

Quote:
The only thing for me (and I get that this is subjective) is that the 1190R is a better looking bike with that glorious orange frame and nicer black / white color scheme but as I said, it's a personal choice...
Yeah, seems most feel that way, including myself. It's amazing how different the bike looks just for the color scheme alone.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
alongat
Studly Adventurer

And by the way, I'm shocked that anyone actually got the reference from Dune :)

Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
evermore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
And by the way, I'm shocked that anyone actually got the reference from Dune :)
I'd seen the quote and did not even think twice about it. Maybe a good rule is don't trust anyone that hasn't read Dune? ;)
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
i'd seen the quote and did not even think twice about it. Maybe a good rule is don't trust anyone that hasn't read dune? ;)
lol :)

Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Dominik78 OP
Adventurer

lol, I have to confess that I actually got into Dune not through the book, but the 1992 PC game. It was cool in it's own way as you play the role of Paul Atreides and experience parts of the story in an immersive way, the game itself having a focus on real time strategy though. At the time I didn't even know it was based on a book and that a movie had already been out since the 80s etc. Of course I caught up on all of that after.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
alongat
Studly Adventurer

By the way, despite what I said earlier about the R being better looking (which I still say it is), my orange has grown on me (despite not being proper KTM orange):

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
decooney
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 125
Perfect. When one of you in Cali gets tired of your low miles 2014 KTM 1190 "S" Standard, all excited to jump to the "R" version, let me know, I'm looking at good leftover new and low miles used standards now for road use to go along with my KTM 690 Enduro R.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
Dominik78 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
By the way, despite what I said earlier about the R being better looking (which I still say it is), my orange has grown on me (despite not being proper KTM orange):

It does look pretty nice actually
Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
decooney
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
... Forget all that crap about ...heat- related complaints, etc, etc -.

Well, these guys are not able to forget about the major heat issues, argh!
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=13