User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
GCecchetto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Please Help: Is This a Good Deal?

So I have a deposit on a 2014 1190 ADV R from Del Amo Motorsports in Rodando Beach CA. The sale price is $16,650 out the door. I'm in CA so that includes 8.75% sales tax. Knowing now that there aren't any significant changes to the 2015 model, I'm okay with a 14 if I get a great deal.

Here's where it gets tricky. When I put the deposit on the bike (refundable of course) I thought it was brand new with it's one year warranty intact. As it turns out, the bike was previously sold and paid for in full to a guy in south america for a trip he was doing. The importer that was handling the shipping screwed up and the freight carrier didn't show to pick it up and it missed the ship it was supposed to be on. The guy down south had to make other plans for his trip and the bike was sold back to Del Amo.

The bike never left Del Amo and was in the crate until it was recently built and put out on the floor. The bike is, condition wise, is new with only 2.6 miles on the odometer. Since the sale was complete, the bike went "in service" on the warranty so this is the hitch. It's new, but the warranty is active and will expire at the end of february. Del Amo says they will sell me an extended warranty at their cost which ends up being $600 for one year and can go out as far as 5 years at $1500. I's like to add 2 years warranty and am waiting to here what that would cost. I think if I take the bike and purchase a warranty that I could get them to ship the bike to me. I'm 400 miles north of the shop.

Anyway looking for opinions from other folks that have bought these bikes as to whether or not this is a good deal.

Thanks
GCecchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,652
Eff that. Find a dealer with a new bike and no stories, no warranty games. Jesus dealers suck ass.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 812
That is $15,300 with a warranty to the end of February. Seems like a good deal to me.

Warrantable failures seem to show up right out of the gate anyway - and if it is something rare at low miles you can always plead your case to KTM.

There have also been a couple of really nice set up 1190s here for sale in the flea market that are low mile and would save you a bundle - and already set up

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018312

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018878
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Scro
Bi-curious

Oddometer: 76
1190 search

Do a nation-wide search on craigslist for new and used 1190's to give you an idea of the market. Use that info to negotiate a local or fly'n ride deal. Never take a dealers first offer.

Government doesn't have anything they didn't take from you first...

No one will prepare for what they cannot see coming.
Scro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
GCecchetto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
That is $15,300 with a warranty to the end of February. Seems like a good deal to me.

There have also been a couple of really nice set up 1190s here for sale in the flea market that are low mile and would save you a bundle - and already set up
Thanks. The $16,650 is based on $14,999 plus tax and license. No setup or delivery costs due to the warranty issue. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. What I find amazing is that they spoke to KTM and explained what happened and KTM wouldn't reset the warranty.

I have been following the used bikes here but they really don't save me much when I figure in the cost of getting the bike to me and that fact that in CA I still have to pay the tax on the purchase price when I register it and when dealing with financing that happens through the lender so you can't say you bought it for less to keep the fees down. CA also makes it difficult on vehicles coming from out of state.

GCecchetto screwed with this post 10-25-2014 at 05:00 PM
Old 10-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
GCecchetto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scro View Post
Do a nation-wide search on craigslist for new and used 1190's to give you an idea of the market. Use that info to negotiate a local or fly'n ride deal. Never take a dealers first offer.
I did that, that's how I found this bike at Del Amo. I didn't find anything new lower than $14,999. Del Amo has one other that I can buy for the $14,999 but they want setup and transportation fees, so that ends up being $15,999 before tax and license. The cost of flying out and riding back quickly adds to the cost as well so a lower price on the other side of the US would have to be much lower for it to save me money. Thanks

GCecchetto screwed with this post 10-25-2014 at 05:14 PM
Old 10-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Keep talking to them. When I bought mine they were going to give it to me for MSRP no setup or shipping but they didn't have one so I got it at Malcomb Smiths in Riverside. They make lot of cash off the extended warrintys so get them to sell you the 5yr at their cost, it probably costs them $750.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCecchetto View Post
Del Amo says they will sell me an extended warranty at their cost which ends up being $600 for one year and can go out as far as 5 years at $1500.
Dealer is taking you for a ride. I put a 5yr warrantee on my '14 1190R for $750 back in May and I just put a 5yr on my '14 1290 for $790. Both were at the dealer and I didn't haggle at all. $600 for 1 year and $1,500 for 5 years is simply too much.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
GCecchetto OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the heads up on the warranty pricing. I'll see what I can do with them. The saga continues, salesman called today saying someone had come in and wanted my bike and that management might sell it to the other party even though I have a deposit on it. He then offered me the other 1190 R that is unsold so with full one year warranty for $17,000 out the door. I can buy the warranty from any KTM dealer so i think I'll call Moore and Sons in Santa Cruz and see what they'll do for me.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,226
Sounds like they are trying to work you over. Take your money somewhere else.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #11
TomAZ1983
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
I did that, that's how I found this bike at Del Amo. I didn't find anything new lower than $14,999. Del Amo has one other that I can buy for the $14,999 but they want setup and transportation fees, so that ends up being $15,999 before tax and license. The cost of flying out and riding back quickly adds to the cost as well so a lower price on the other side of the US would have to be much lower for it to save me money. Thanks
1,000 for set up and transport? Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomAZ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Quote:
The saga continues, salesman called today saying someone had come in and wanted my bike
That's the oldest trick in the book. These guys are sleaze-balls. Take your money and your dignity elsewhere.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,269
Buy where you live...

If you're gonna buy new, the most important thing to you for the sake of tossing away a couple thousand in immediate depreciation is

DEALER SUPPORT...

Buy from a good close reputable dealer who can help you sort the issues that will come up over the life of the bike.

Find a great dealer... How is Scuderia these days? Are they close?

Also never pay for a bike with a bad warranty.

If you buy from a dealer, get a great finance package...
Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
GCecchetto OP
Adventurer

So here is an update on how this turned out. Check went out FedEx today and there is a good chance the shipper will pick up the bike tomorrow and deliver to me Thur or Fri. Given the experience with the dealer I decided to keep it simple and not buy anything additional from them. The bike was $16,655 out the door with tax and license fees. I really think they were trying to get out of selling me the bike at this cost.

Bought the heated grips for $114 and a 5 year extended warranty for $800 from my local shop. I know some of you said the warranty should be in the $650 to $750 range, but I didn't buy the bike from them so I thought $800 was okay, certainly better than $1500. The shipping is costing me $180.

All in all it seems like a good deal to me. I know, from previous discussions with them, that neither of my local shops, even if they had a bike, would not have come close to this deal.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #15
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Yup, once the warranty bait-and-switch is out of the picture it becomes a much better deal.
Congrats!