ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Fireclimber OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
KTM 990 Adventure 2:1 with stock Exhaust

Been searching around the 2:1 forums and the stock exhaust mods forums and have not got a clear answer as to if a 2:1 with stock exhaust would work...or would work with modification of the stock can. Anybody?
Fireclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,707
It will work but it's restrictive.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Fireclimber OP
Adventurer

More restrictive than both stock cans? Seems like a single would heat up faster.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Yes more restrictive. Half the outflow capacity. And yes it will get hot. Find a cheap can somewhere (classifieds) and cut the weight out too. Stock mufflers are very heavy and with the catalytic converter in them they get hot. I've heard of them being over 500 degrees
Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Fireclimber OP
Adventurer

Makes sense. Wondering if I would have to remap it after this... Also, do I need to find a can that is meant for only one exhaust or will any of the aftermarket dual cans systems work in single application?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

It's my understanding that any aftermarket can should work. I have a Remus that I ordered as a solo can. Love the sound and the weight savings. My 950 (Carb'd) has a Rottweiler and the 2-1. I absolutely love the way it runs. I have removed all the smog stuff as well.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I tried the two into one with the stock canister (muffler) on my 950. I could definitely feel a power loss. I now have a single Akrapovic and it runs about the same as with two stock canisters.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Dyno testing showed a loss of HP up high but a nice bump in torque with the 2-1
Old 11-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
A couple of thoughts:

The 2 into 1 will change power characteristics regardless of muffler. Helps low end at the expense of top end

Stock mufflers include cats and spark arresters, which also impact flow. So comparing an OEM with a non SA aftermarket is not exactly apples to apples.

Each cylinder is not firing at the same time (75 degrees apart) so a single muffler doesn't see the total volume of both cylinders--some combination due to overlap. How much I don't know.

It would be interesting to see how a single OEM muffler with cat removed would work in a 2 into 1. Maybe compare it to an aftermarket with spark arrester.

I run my 2 into 1 with a Remus non SA and have also tried an FMF with SA. I prefer the Remus as it is quieter. I am sold on the 2 into 1 because it allows me to run the extra gas tank on the left side AND I like the low end improvement it gives me.

FWIW
Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Fireclimber OP
Adventurer

Wicked

I like tearing things apart and trying different methods. Sounds like an aftermarket can will be a great option but I would like to tear apart the OEM can and modify it to see if it will work. Hoping to find someone who has done it but would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on how you would modify it. Tear out all guts and weld in larger straight pipe? Might see if I can find picts of the guts of aftermarket cans and see if it is possible to duplicate.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Faja
mild

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
A couple of thoughts:

The 2 into 1 will change power characteristics regardless of muffler. Helps low end at the expense of top end

Stock mufflers include cats and spark arresters, which also impact flow. So comparing an OEM with a non SA aftermarket is not exactly apples to apples.

Each cylinder is not firing at the same time (75 degrees apart) so a single muffler doesn't see the total volume of both cylinders--some combination due to overlap. How much I don't know.

It would be interesting to see how a single OEM muffler with cat removed would work in a 2 into 1. Maybe compare it to an aftermarket with spark arrester.

I run my 2 into 1 with a Remus non SA and have also tried an FMF with SA. I prefer the Remus as it is quieter. I am sold on the 2 into 1 because it allows me to run the extra gas tank on the left side AND I like the low end improvement it gives me.

FWIW
Nice, that's as concise an explanation as I've ever seen/read. Much appreciated, there's a local bike with this setup and I've been reluctant since I have experience with 950/990's with dual pipes, OEM, Akro and FMF
Faja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 161
I ran my 2:1 setup on my 950adv with a stock muffler with the cat removed (cut and shut i think, shorter cans), what did i notice? it got hot on that side, like really hot. I cannot comment on power as thats not why I did it (needed a rear tank). I switched to an old fmf exhaust after a month and the heat is much lower.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,404
On another (exhaust) note...

Also, don't overlook the quality of the 2-1 midpipe you choose. Make sure your choice has a good flow test and smooth leading edges to the welds. CJ offers a nice option with a core refund.

And to clarify... I gained in overall performance going from 2 stock pipes to one performance pipe ( with DNA/ filter and rejeting)... My seat of the pants dyno. Of course two performance exhausts offer more performance ( mid to top end) than one.

Adding other upgrades can increase performance more regardless of number of cans ( like Rottweiler open air filter) but may be at the sake of lower fuel numbers/ range.

I'd love to hear from others with open air filter running 2 into 1 on their fuel numbers...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
2 into 1 with Remus, SW7 open filter setup. 2007 990 Adventure. 41 mpg highway over 5000 miles. Tune ecu DIY seat of the pants (no AFR data) remapping-ongoing. Much better at off road and slow speeds. Not perfect, but what is?

FWIW
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Hey Fireclimber, check this out.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...v_exhaust.html