Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,036
My Life With A 990 Adventure R, Or Drinking The Orange Kool-Aid

... And Giving Up The Shaft,

Cue Steppenwolf,

Iím primarily a commuter, less than 1% of my lifetime mileage has been logged on unpaved roads, trails, single track or untracked terra firma. But, I ride nearly every day. The commute is 60 miles round trip from the inland edge of the Orange Curtain to just about a mile off the coast. Southern California traffic. Lane splitting supercars, landscape trucks and pretty much everything this side of a rodeo every day. Keeps a guy on his toes and out of cars.
So, why the adventure bike? Why not the typical old man big boat touring rig?
I got through the wonderbus touringboat phase in my youth. Nobody told me the rules so I did the big stuff first, and then when I was older moved on to sportbikes, trackdays and silliness.

In a former life I'd been introduced to adventure bikes though we didn't have that term yet. The original R80 G/S and then the 100 that followed it, Adventure gear had yet to be discovered in my closet.

Textile gear back then was waxed cotton.
Anyway, Adventure bikes came along again just in time to catch me coming into mid-life as my body slowly creaked and snapped itís way to semi-dysfunction.
First adventure bike was what youíd expect from a guy who had spent too many years wearing out tires to the tune of big opposed cans. The BMW 1150 Adventure. Yes, I hiked up my skirt and jumped on the LWR wagon. That was fun, most fun bike I owned up to that point. Big, and heavy and complex. Expensive to get to 100,000 miles and beyond. We got almost to 200,000 miles and I called it quits. Sensing the changing of the guard over on the orange side I jumped ship to find a lightly used example of the 990. None were about, but luck and being in the wrong place at the right time paid off. Or cost me? History will judge the final outcome as weíre deep in the hoopla now, so no time for second guesses or buyerís remorse.

September 24th, 2013 I bought this 2010 990R Adventure with about 2,200 miles on the clock.

So, here I am a little over a year later I find myself having not burned through as many miles I did in my youth in a similar amount of time.
Circumstances and priorities have both played their cards, tilting the board in favor of time over mileage. Iíve picked up a few lucky rolls of the dice along the way too. Again, it will be left to later to determine the winner. Iím in this playing for the long game. Right now, Iím ahead on points.

The plan is to document my trip down this road for my own history with the machine as well as a possible next guy. At this point that doesn't seem too likely. I'm in no mood to let a next guy have a shot. This thing is fun. I find I have slowed my daily commute to make the ride last. I'm that happy with the ride.
I'll be back here from time to time as work, mileage and time progress. So, far it is a great ride.

First up I got rid of the top box, I felt it was way too big and floppy. I didnít like it for my uses.
I replaced the OEM battery with a new Anti Gravity. The original battery was almost 4 years old and had too much garage time to show for it, so its ability to hold a change for longer than a couple of days was suspect. Something I confirmed after I let the bike sit for a weekend of non-riding.

New Touratech Zega-Pro cases all round. Better for my mobile office.
Then came a side stand re-location, eliminate the side stand switch. Swap out the coolant, clutch slave got upgraded as well. Fresh clutch fluid and brake fluids, new rear pads came next with a new set of tires.
I swapped the OEM Scorpions to Dunlop 908RR front and rear. After wearing off the front in one direction I flipped it around and wore it in the other. Finally I changed to a TKC80 front and new 908RR out back. That felt better. My new favorite dirt oriented combination.
I pulled the ABS cover out of the tool tray since there isnít any ABS to cover. This gave me a huge toolbox.
Added bleed buttons to the top of the forks.
The fork springs were replaced with some heavier springs from Super Plush Suspension. Iíll have to go look up the numbers.
G2 Throttle cam tamer, and a second fan and lower temperature switch.
Stuck a Snap-Out in for a little less fiddly servicing. As long as I had the glovebox apart I stuck an accessory plug in there. Very handy for charging things off my USB.

Now here we sit a year later at about 20,000 miles.

How has it gone?
We got the fun started with the usual.
Accessories:
Kakao Throttle lock Ė donít use this much, mostly adjusted off.
G4? Throttle cam took care of that snatchy throttle.
Weld 86 Bash plate
CJ Side stand re-location
Touratech Luggage racks and boxes, stickered to look the business.
SAS blanking plates, and the canister fell off.
Some power into the glovebox, and dual Switched USB at the dash in place of the OEM.
OEM flyscreen, enough wind protection for me and no buffeting. Doesnít need cut down.
Relocated the RHS mirror, and swapped to Double Take Mirrors
Oberon Clutch slave
CPR snap out glove box
ACC outlet in glovebox
Side stand lock out switch eliminator
OEM reflectors front and rear fell off
Fork bleed valves
SPS fork springs

Maintenance Items:
Dunlop 908RR Front and Rear
Dunlop RR Rear/ TKC80 Front
Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T front and rear
Oil, filters
Fuel filters
1 Tappet shim/s
Brake pads, rear/front
Air filters
Fork oil
Chain lube

Fun Stuff:
Orange crashbars and a few stickers

Use:
Too much commuting, and too little dirt. Need to plan more trips. A few hundred miles of unpaved travel some forest roads no single track.

Longest day in the saddle, 500 miles. Tired butt, but riding the next day was not a problem. The stock saddle stays for a while longer.

Working-On-Motorcycles-2014
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #2
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,036
20,000 Miles

Commuter mode for the winter,
Facebook
Smugmug