ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #1
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 827
Loose Axle / Wheel Bearings

Whilst doing some other work to the bike last night, I put my hand on the bars and felt a bit of side-to-side play. Tracked it down to the wheel and assumed the bearings were going (small but noticeable play in the wheel). Was about to take the wheel off and (conveniently) swap it for my dirt wheel, but noticed that it looked like the wheel was 1-2mm away from the spacer on the axle. Gave the nut a good quarter turn and it went snug against the spacer.

So I guess good news is that the bearings weren't trash. I'm usually pretty good about making sure stuff like that is squared away, but the bike went probably 300 miles like that (or came loose sometime during that distance). So the question is - are the bearings trash now? Planning on ~800 miles this weekend; should I just use the other wheel until I can get new bearings in?
GoGoGavin41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #2
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
The shouldn't be but I'd take the wheel out and check the spindle hasn't got any wear marks in it, if one or both of the bearings are going anyway then they could have been spinning on the spindle, very unlikely but worth the time to check.

Steve
Bowber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #3
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 474
Like Bowber says, take the wheel out and check the spindle. Probably your bearings are fine. Stick your finger on the inner race and rotate it. If it feels smooth it's probably ok.

Review your owners manual for correct wheel install method, including lower pinch bolts.

Check for smooth rotation and no noise/play. Have a good ride
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote