Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #3451
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WD View Post
What about the temperature? Hot water tastes horrible!!

I know; I haven't quite figured that out yet. Something wet is better than nothing. I've seen that Camelback make insulated lanes, so maybe I'll so something like that.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #3452
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I get to touch land for a couple of hours every now and again.
Capri, Naples, Ponza, Palmarola and Porto Cerve, all in the last couple of weeks....

I can't wait to kick a leg over my bike in Spain and do something about my sea legs

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls View Post
i wish i rather listen to them than the wind
getting sick of looking at water out there. you be hanging out (looking forward) to get back on land by now.
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #3453
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,907
Not an LC8 but . . .

I broke my chain at just over 12,500 ft Hammering up Kendall Mtn in Silverton Colorado
in 4th gear.

I coasted 7 miles back down the Mtn

Brown Dog screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 01:21 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #3454
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
When you see a chain like that, it is longer than you would think
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #3455
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 990
Washed it off thanks to Irene!!!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #3456
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
I broke my chain at just over 12,500 ft Hammering up Kendall Mtn in Silverton Colorado
in 4th gear.

I coasted 7 miles back down the Mtn

I did one coming out of river crossing early this year...2hr wait for my brother to steel a link off my nephews Gas GAS
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #3457
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
Hooked up with some local dual sporters who have a weekly ride into the brush. The ride is on some rough country down by the river that is mostly old bulldozed grid for development from years gone by. It has now become some very interesting trails that run up, down and across gravel hillsides, with some power line, railroad, and pipeline right of way thrown in for good measure.

Finally got to find out how this beast does on the trail. I was pleasantly surprised, and cleared everything they tossed my way. No naps were taken by the OC representation. From the top of a loose rock hill climb with an S-curve in it, which I cleaned without a dab (twice), I watched a DRZ400S struggle to make it after a couple of attempts.

I think this bike is easier to ride off-road than my DR350S was! Back in the day I used to call that "pig-wrestling."

The other riders were impressed at how this bike handled the ride.

I was seeing six bars on the water temp quite often, and the outside temp ranged from 80 in the morning to near 110 by the time we called it a day.

Managed to break a driving light mount that fatigued in the rough. Gonna have to make a stronger set of mounts for those lights.

I should have taken some photos, but I was having Too Much Fun riding off road on my Adventure!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #3458
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I installed an hid kit on my 2006 950 adv. Stock headlamp. $55 for a H4 hi/lo 5000k and ballast. Much better than stock light. Just a little dremmel action. And in an emergency the stock bulb can go right back in. So far so good!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
superhak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #3459
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
I discovered that my rear disk was stuffed..... a tad loo "floating",,,, but tough.... it goes on the boat to East Timor tomorrow. The brake on the front wheel still works.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #3460
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhak31 View Post
I installed an hid kit on my 2006 950 adv. Stock headlamp. $55 for a H4 hi/lo 5000k and ballast. Much better than stock light. Just a little dremmel action. And in an emergency the stock bulb can go right back in. So far so good!
I'd be interested in that- cheap, and we're getting towards the time of year that more light is good. Pics? Links?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #3461
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,376
It's that time of year, added some lighting...

Before:

Stock High beam. This is my little point and shoot and the pix do not accurately represent differences in brightness. The stocker sucks, but not really as badly as it appears here. Look at throw, etc, not just brightness when you look at this:

These are definitely brighter than stock, but not quite as much as the autoexposure would lead you to believe. The stock headlight is much warmer than the LEDS as well; I corrected soem for that because the warmth can lead you to think it's even darker than it is.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #3462
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
It's that time of year, added some lighting...
Steve, just make sure there is enough clearance if you bottom out the forks. I installed lights underneath and they scratched the heck out of the top of my front wheel fender. Just a thought. Looks nice!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #3463
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Steve, just make sure there is enough clearance if you bottom out the forks. I installed lights underneath and they scratched the heck out of the top of my front wheel fender. Just a thought. Looks nice!

Thanks. It's a Black Dog bracket for the larger (than what I have) Rigid lights, so it should clear. It's hard to see in the photo, but the lights sit in front of the widest part of the fender. I deliberately didn't reverse the mounts, just in case. Didn't hit while I was out last night taking the pix, but I didn't *quite* bottom the forks over the usual jump; will have to try again....

Thanks again!

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #3464
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 396
scotts got me for 760.00 but this thing needs it
Attached Images

slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #3465
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,835
Yesterday actually - installed Airtex E8016S fuel pump

At almost 21K miles the stock fuel pump on my 2007 SE crapped out last weekend. I'd already bought this Airtex solid state pump on the advice of two friends with 950 Adventures who've been using them for more 3 years without issues. I paid around $40 shipped from Amazon.

This pump is also used on older Volvos, Surbarus, VWs, etc. and so is available at auto parts stores all over as well.

Being that the "in" and "out" outlets on this pump are at either end rather than both at the same end like the stock pump, it requires a bit of plumbing. It's also a tight fit for the SE. I made this sketch to take with me to buy the parts. I used all brass plumbing so it was a little pricey, over $20, and I also replaced all the squeeze-type hose clips with stainless screw-type radiator clamps to make any future maintenance less unpleasant.

Conveniently, the new Airtex fit back into the rubber mount from the stock pump. The main difference in the two was that the new pump is significantly longer, particularly with the included inline filter upstream of the fuel pump. It took a few times placing the tank on and off the bike, measuring and some creative hose routing to get it all sorted out, but I rode it about 100 miles yesterday and no leaks, no problems.

The only downside to the Airtex unit is that it could have flooding issues due to backflow with a full or nearly full tank due to gravity pressure. This means when I park the bike overnight or more than an hour or two now I'll now need to turn off the two petcocks. Inline check valves are available and would be an easy install to avoid this issue altogether, once I find out which exact one is rated for the correct pressure...

In the photo below, you can see I ended up reversing the direction of the lower brass plumbing as shown in the sketch because the original pre-bent fuel line worked perfectly to connect it to the petcock going around the lower tank mount.

This shows the fuel pump and the lower plumbing from below, looking forward:

This view taken from the front shows the pre-bent line connecting the lower plumbing to the left-side petcock:

GSBS screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:13 AM
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote