Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #4921
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
Recovery complete - thanks to ADV Orange Crush!!!

Before I say anything further, I received a lot of quick offers from local riders willing to help thanks to this forum. I am glad I took up the offer from OverdeBars, a local 990 rider that offered to meet me in route and bring along another shovel. We parked my truck at the nearby intersection and hiked a little ways down to where the bike was. The first relief came when I saw that it was in the same spot (hadn't falled over) where I left it the night before. She was dug in pretty good!

990 + 908 = Ever wonder what fresh artillary can do to those behind you?

She was into the terra firma about 8" below the 1+ feet of snow!

We dug out the snow from under the bike and then cleared the path ahead. It took one of us on each side to work the clutch and throttle together while lifting the back out of the rut and back onto the flatter ground. A few moments later she was up to the next stopping point.

Retrieve the shovels and started digging out the deeper spots on the next drift (which ended up being the last one we had to shovel. Here's a couple pictures of a dog-paddle in motion...

I made it around the corner and all the way back up to the truck. So the hard part was finished. Getting it into the truck took a little creativity with the short-ramp but we managed to do it.

She's now safely back in the driveway...

Mission complete!

Here's about the only thing (other than myself) where I can place any blame...

Again, thanks to all of those who offered their help and support. It makes one feel good that even when you screw up, there is always someone else willing to lend and hand and laugh with you about it.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 12:28 PM
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #4922
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,358
Good job guys!
That pretty funny Tod. I looked at those photos trying to imagine anyone thinking, "Hmmmm, I think I will ride there," and yet you try to blame the tire.
Great example of defining the word "Adventure" in the name of the bike.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #4923
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Good job guys!
That pretty funny Tod. I looked at those photos trying to imagine anyone thinking, "Hmmmm, I think I will ride there," and yet you try to blame the tire.
Great example of defining the word "Adventure" in the name of the bike.
As we were driving up the road (Buckeye) toward the point where I turned onto this USFS road, there was hardly ANY snow and things looked fine. Not too long down that USFS road, there was a short snow drift that was only a couple inches deep. Thinking I'd be going downhill I figured it wouldn't be too bad. But once I got into the second drift and it started going down a bit of a grade, at that very point I was already INSIDE the roach motel...

You'll have to ask OverdeBars.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #4924
Tatsubon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Mounted my RI Dually, Cree LED Driving light, and H7 HID Kit on to the bike.

Tatsubon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #4925
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 969
Mounted a GPS holder, set up and wired the Speed Cheetah radar system correctly, installed the BDCW light bar and cleaned up a couple tool tubes.

This picture makes the GPS look huge. The loom containing the radar detector system wiring can be seen in the middle.

Horrible reflection from the windscreen, but the small hole I drilled in the top to route the GPS power can be seen

This picture shows the loom routing. In order to complete the installation and still have the glove compartment close easily, I pulled out the dremel and cut away a small section on the forward-facing piece of the compartment top, and also on the inside. The Speed Cheetah unit is tucked down in the unseen portion of the compartment. I should've used smaller spade connectors, but was too lazy to make a(nother) store run.

BDCW light bar & tool tubes...I tried using a black permanent marker to cover the top letting up; will need to pull out the hobby paintbrush and finish that job.

There's an air horn to be installed, HID's, and the aux lights, but that's enough for today. (aka: there's a honey-do list waiting)

bluesurf screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 07:14 PM
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #4926
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,623
Nice install...some brake cleaner will take those graphics right off...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #4927
OverdeBars
Moto Explorer

Oddometer: 20
Glad to have helped SierraJeep.
I truley believe the LC8 is one of the best do it all bikes, and today I had confirmation that it can double as a snowmobile .

I know my 990 with a Metzler Sahara wouldn't have made it 6 inches in that stuff. Something to be said for the 908.

Safe Travels
OverdeBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #4928
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 383
Good to hear you got it out and back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
As we were driving up the road (Buckeye) toward the point where I turned onto this USFS road, there was hardly ANY snow and things looked fine. Not too long down that USFS road, there was a short snow drift that was only a couple inches deep. Thinking I'd be going downhill I figured it wouldn't be too bad. But once I got into the second drift and it started going down a bit of a grade, at that very point I was already INSIDE the roach motel...

You'll have to ask OverdeBars.
Steve
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #4929
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Steve
Thanks again for taking the time to drive out there and retrieve me. Hope you made it to the concert in time last night.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #4930
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Tires

Well decided to mount the Scouts today and since I am a virgin tire guy I figured it would take a while. It did..... The rear tire was a bitch to get spooned on but eventually managed with a little help from my father in law standing on the tire to hold it down while I worked the tire spoons. Got her aired up, beads seated all good. Balanced and trued then back on the bike. Now to the front tire, should be easy since it can't be any worse to mount then the rear.........

Well it wasn't worse to mount, much easier actually but as you can see in the pic it sits unmounted. Well that is thanks to a faulty valve stem insert. Damn thing snapped off whilst putting it in. Of course I tried what I could to remove it because I have like 10 of them in the garage but I couldn't get it out so off to the shop tomorrow or Tuesday I guess to see about a fix. A little disappointing that I had it essentially done and then whammy. Ah well such is life..........

Photobucket

Photobucket

Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #4931
SierraJeep
It's toast

Congratulations on your first tire change! Good job.

If you were using that big breaker bar to get the valve stem back in, I think I figured out your problem!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 06:41 PM
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #4932
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
Congratulations on your first tire change! Good job.

If you were using that big breaker bar to get the valve stem back in, I think I figured out your problem!
You funny.....I felt like hitting the tire with that however after the stem broke...... Oh and the good thing about changing the tires on this Katoom is the rims were already buggered up so I didn't have to worry about keeping them purty as you can see.
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #4933
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
You funny.....I felt like hitting the tire with that however after the stem broke...... Oh and the good thing about changing the tires on this Katoom is the rims were already buggered up so I didn't have to worry about keeping them purty as you can see.
Actually, that's the way they're supposed to look - like they've been used off road!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #4934
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,675
Have you ever considered purchasing a SPOT tracker?

Glad the rescue was a success!

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #4935
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Have you ever considered purchasing a SPOT tracker?
What, I was just riding home from town (literally).

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC