ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #5071
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 1,009
Fabbed up cable locks for the tool tubes. They will only keep the honest people honest, but at least will keep the top from making its way off unexpectedly.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #5072
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchGS View Post
Found this.

After returning from a trip to Baja the bike started piping and backfiring like crazy. At the time I was in Bakersfield CA and needed to get back to Portland OR. I just kept riding it as I was in a mission to get home.
I had thought that it might have been the header bolts coming loose after I had the water pump replaced in SFO on the way down.
I had done the carb jetting a couple of months ago and few thousand miles an had "thought" I had everything right. Guess not.
Glad it waited until after I left Baja to throw it's tantrum! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found that once on mine. Whoops!
I superglued the crack and re installed the carbs until I can get the new boots. Ummm, been running like that for about 8,000 miles without issue. I forgot to order the boots. The crack is under the clamp so it is sealed up good.
I gather you run a Uni Prefilter. That saved your bacon by keeping clean air around the carb vs sucking in sand and dust.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #5073
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx View Post
That looks an awful lot like a carb to manifold intake boot... How in the hell did that make it around the airbox and frame, I don't know, but it looks like both clamps loosened or you forgot to tighten them.

DO NOT ride the bike until you get a chance to check out the bottom of the airbox. It should be fairly obvious if the bike is only running on one cylinder, but I'd be concerned those clamps could get crushed and make their way down into the valve stem seats.
Yup it's a carb mani boot. I've currently got the upper end down to do valve check/adjustment if needed.
Everything was cool with the clamps and pieces associated with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I found that once on mine. Whoops!
I superglued the crack and re installed the carbs until I can get the new boots. Ummm, been running like that for about 8,000 miles without issue. I forgot to order the boots. The crack is under the clamp so it is sealed up good.
I gather you run a Uni Prefilter. That saved your bacon by keeping clean air around the carb vs sucking in sand and dust.
Yup Uni Prefilter on it. The good part was that it didn't start acting up until I was on the interstate and the following morning after clearing the border and los angles. I was thinking something along the route of superglue or similar means of sealing it up but already ordered a new one, $40!
I can see it was just a matter of time before it got to that point.
And I had thought I had even triple checked the work prior to buttoning everything up on the re-jet mod. Next time quadruple check I guess is in order!
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #5074
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,397
Baja to Wash. or Portland...

Either way, that sounds like an iron butt contest. How long did that take you? And how far down in Baja? Someting tells me there's a great story brewing up.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #5075
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Either way, that sounds like an iron butt contest. How long did that take you? And how far down in Baja? Someting tells me there's a great story brewing up.
It was a good ride but the slab down was BORING. Sure I could have taken off road routes down but I had limited time so that made 'my' adventure in Baja. I rode by myself the entire route and never had an issue just nerves at times when you are out in the middle of no where and hoping that you are really reading the maps and gps correctly.

Total trip mileage was 4460, and I just went down to La Paz. I was gone for 2 weeks, but spent two extra days in SFO getting the waterpump replaced and installing a new rear tire. I was considering Cabo but just wanted to hold up with family there and have some play time on the trip. Longest leg was 814 miles which was the last day home Visalia to PDX, 400 in the friggin rain. Shortest day was something like 168 Loreto to La Paz.

I've been trying to get a RR together but I think everyone has seen the same pictures before so many times that they've lost some of the glamor. Although I guess part of it is ones perspective you put behind them that makes it different.
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #5076
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Well, it was actually Sunday, but got it running. I was having a hard starting issue. Opened up the airbox and saw that the front carb had come unseated. D'oh! Dumped the old fuel out of the bowls and the fuel lines and, buttoned her back up, reinstalled my replacement Shorai (first one had a bad cell) and she fired back to life. My depression is cured!

Still not sold on the Shorai for cold weather. We are having an unbelievably warm spring here so may have to wait till next winter rolls around to see how it copes with the cold starting. First one didn't cut it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #5077
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
I left the K60 rear off the bike overnight and it held its 40psi! Popped it back on the bike and decided I was ready to tackle the front change. I took Bikyto's advise and ran back down to Performance Cycle in Denver and picked up the shorter spoons. Since they were nearly the same price, I got the Bikemaster spoons with the nice grip handles. I also picked up a Bead Buddy and a valve core remover... all three new toys made the front change go A LOT smoother.

I also took Bikyto's advice... a bit of WD40 as lube goes a long way. Of course, just the smaller size of the front made the job easier.

Things were going pretty damned smoothly, until... I got a little too jiggy with my new spoons and took too big of bites while buttoning the tire up: SNAKE BITE!!!! Argh... luckily, there was a shop with tubes in stock less than a mile from the house... opted for a Bikemaster heavy-duty.

Second time was the charm... air in the tube, but not TOO much, tiny, careful bites with the spoons, little bit of WD40 = no ominous hissing as I was filling her up.

I feel pretty confident that next time will go a lot smoother.

Thanks to everyone for the tips (and even the sarcasm... Geek, you know who you are!)
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #5078
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,173
Whoohoo! Nice tires!! Good job
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #5079
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 348
A Ride then the UPS Man Arrived

With the unseasonably mild weather in Alberta this month I have been able to get out a few times, including today.

Then I got home to find a package from Summit Racing with the parts to make my oil change hose.

I installed it tonight and am happy to say no more left side dismantling just to change the oil.

Here are a couple of photos from today's ride.

Cheers, David

Langdon, east of Calgary

West of Carseland

Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #5080
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Whoohoo! Nice tires!! Good job
Thanks!

Now, I just need my badazz Safaris and I'll be ready to go exploring some remoteness.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #5081
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 31,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Thanks!

Now, I just need my badazz forkguards and I'll be ready to go exploring some remoteness.
Fixed
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #5082
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

Quote:
Thanks!

Now, I just need my badazz forkguards and I'll be ready to go exploring some remoteness.

Fixed

Quote:
They'll be here on tomorrow's Brown Truck

UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE....

WOO HOO!

I just got the good word from our boy CJ that my black set will be shipping to me from the land down under on April 4th!

He also says to mention he's got a couple more sets with his name on them if anyone wants a set. Better hurry... they'll go fast. Email CJ asap if you want some!

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 02:51 PM Reason: BREAKING NEWS: Safari Tank Update!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #5083
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Thanks!

Now, I just need my badazz Safaris and I'll be ready to go exploring some remoteness.
What's the low down on the bead buddy?? Not seen one of those
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #5084
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I put some of my powder coated parts back on.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #5085
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
What's the low down on the bead buddy?? Not seen one of those
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0471/