ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #5251
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 2,076
Laugh

Kinda surprised nobody in the orange crush section has noticed/commented on my orange garage floor

Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #5252
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Kinda surprised nobody in the orange crush section has noticed/commented on my orange garage floor
I was too focused on the orange bling to even notice the floor. I've been pondering one of those CJD clutch covers for some time, but right now it's not as high on my list of "things I need to buy with money I don't yet have" if you catch my drift. The footpeg extensions have been rattlin' around up in the void space between my ears, too, but it's much further down the list than is the clutch cover. The orange break pad... okay that's just bling.

I like what you did with the black paint on some of the parts, it brings out the bling but distracts from the garage floor!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #5253
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Laugh

The brake pedal is just some orange engine paint I had laying around Figured as long as I was taking things apart to do the black, I may as well add some contrast.

I rode with the large pegs yesterday and man what a change!! I totally did not expect them to make such a difference. Just getting in and off the bike feels totally different. Also way more comfortable when just riding around. Id move them higher up the list
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #5254
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I rode with the large pegs yesterday and man what a change!! I totally did not expect them to make such a difference. Just getting in and off the bike feels totally different. Also way more comfortable when just riding around. Id move them higher up the list
I bet they would be. The stock pegs on my 990 *ARE* wide compared to some of my first bikes! Unless I am commuting to work, I always ride with MX style boots so I really don't feel any discomfort from the peg width. Off road (and on off camber trails) I might enjoy a little larger platform to help apply counter-weight to keep the tread in better contact with the face of the terrain; but I've never found the stock pegs to be inadequate for that. YMMV.

My highest priorities of late are focused on extending the fuel range and (most recently) adding storage capacity where my second exhaust currently resides.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #5255
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,147
Did my first fill up since changing my jetting back to stock. For mostly street I got up to 37mpg with 16/42 gearing. That is up from 34mpg. When I took out the jets I was quizzing myself. WTF? why did I have those fat jets in there? Now I'm ready for my new air filter unit from CJ.

I also threw in a couple of Silverstar bulbs in Euro headlight. Ultra in the H7 & Silverstar in the H3 position. They don't show an ultra for that.
I also threw an Ultra in my 525 headlight. Last weekend I was returning in the dark side by side with my boy. He had ultra bulb I had a regular H4. It dam near looked brown it was so under powered. Not anymore.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #5256
Corni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Installed sidestand relocating plate and welded bigger plate for more surface area to the end of sidestand to prevent it from 'digging into dirt'.

Corni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #5257
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Adding a bit of cheap bling (thanks, Michelle!)

Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #5258
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 137
She's got Wings

Finished my 2-1 with a Wings can today.

Also installed a set of lightly used CJ footpeg extenders that I got in a trade from another inmate. Just got back from a test ride, between the exhaust weight reduction and the footpegs the bike feels 100lbs lighter.

As mentioned in the last few posts I would highly recommend pushing the oversized footpegs up the list!
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #5259
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,975
Yes to the pegs. Mine are home made, but they are so much nicer than stock! I love to KLR my KTM and I don't care!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #5260
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Yes to the pegs. Mine are home made, but they are so much nicer than stock! I love to KLR my KTM and I don't care!
Everybody thinks they are made by Kawasaki anyway.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #5261
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 113
Now I know why they called them Adventure's...

Rsquared screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 06:01 AM
Rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #5262
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
Now I know why they called them Adventure's...

Look at all that space in the garage. Do your back a favor and get yourself a lift, it'll make your next oil change a little easier.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #5263
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 1,013
Finished wiring up the HID's, Stebel, Aux lights with all the associated quick disconnects, relays, switches, etc....it's a lot of fitment, but it's done well, and very debuggable if any component does go south. Added battery terminal extensions (did any 990's come stock with these like my '06 950 did?), fitted the headlight, left fuel tank & left cheekpiece, tested the Wings installation and idled her in. Tomorrow the rest of the kit goes back on, and a test ride. Soon, a long cross-country trip.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #5264
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
The stock pegs on my 990 *ARE* wide compared to some of my first bikes! Unless I am commuting to work, I always ride with MX style boots.../...
So do I (the "no electric starter" Lc4 has a very short/small left peg) but on my LC8, I was unconfortable, not able to have my legs "naturally" completly close to the frame and then my feet are too much outside of the pegs and I always felt my hankles have to be strong to keep me on the bike.
Wide enough, but too short .
I put short CJ pegs extension, trouble solved
I guess a frame 1 inch wider in the pegs area or 1 inch narrow in the seat area would have brought the same result
My 2 cents
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #5265
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post

I have the $15 eBay ones on my KLR and they work great. Would love to see more of the DIY innovation for the KTM.

Having added bigger pegs to both of our KLRs and her VStrom I'm very surprised at how much difference the CJdesigns extenders made to the KTM. There is obviously something about he really big platform in combintions with the KTM that makes big difference!