User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #5431
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Rubbing against front forks !

Installed new shoes on the rear, a new 908 too.
Noticed my front brake cables were worn through the jacket from rubbing on the (inside of the) front forks ! Wrapped em (the cables) in electrical tape. The front fender doesnt hold the brake cables well/at all, so I'll need to monitor this...
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #5432
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,562
"Sit right back and enjoy a tale, a tale of a mighty ship"

Sorta seems appropriate to quote Gilligans Island........

Was quite excited to go for a ride yesterday. All geared up and no commitments for the day other than drop some hoses and clamps off at Flanny's place ( Flanny ). Was going to go and ride some nice roads up in our neighboring province.

Forecast showed decent weather...snowed on me about 20 minutes into my ride. Should have been about an hour ride to drop the stuff off. Freaking cold, ended up stopping at a few friends houses along the way. 3 hours into my one hour ride my bike starts losing fuel, chugging and evetully stalls. Doing a Buck twenty through a tunnel on the freeway. A fun pucker moment as the back wheel locks up and does the kick out a few times. Get over to the side and turn the key and the motor turns over but won't catch.

A quick history...got the bike on the road a couple ofweeks ago. 2 km's from my house I filled up with gas. Bike wouldn't start, same symptoms. 15 minutes later I tried again and it started right up. 10 minutes down the road it started chugging but after cranking the wrist a few times it caught and worked fine.

A couple of shorter rides nice then, no issues. Assumed bad gas, clogged carbs.

So there I am on the shoulder with cars quizzing by my shoulder and all of them honking at me. Ya thanks dick wads, I know I am in a dangerous spot what with a concrete wall touching my right grip and car mirrors kissings my left grip. Off I go, carbs still gunked up?

A few km's further and it happens again. Pull over, at least there is a real shoulder here. Try numerous attempts to start it, notta. Something stuck in float bowl? Shake the heck out of the bike (got some frustraion out, I should remember to shake the hell outta the bike every time it breaks down, it was quite therapeutic ), notta.

How many times will the battery last, not too many more. Do the usual wait 15 minutes and try again, nope.

Speaking of batteries, on a trip a couple of years of years go I had a similiar issue and it was a loose battery. Seat off,tools out, skid plate off, battery seems fine. Tighten it up just in case and try again..nope.

Emailed Flanny...got a trailer?

With my recent ear surgery and the freeway noise I cannot tell if the fuel pump is working. Fairings and tank off. Hey the fuel sensor wasnt plugged in....

Flanny shows up, tell him the symptoms. "You have fuel?". Of course I do...I think...I assume... Bitter sweet, a Gerry can fillup and vroom vroom the bikes starts right up. Did I mention it was cold? So after a few hours of just hanging on the freeway I finally made my way to Flanny's....6 hours after leaving home.

There s still some issue, bike seems to sputter a bit. We cleaned the carbs at his place But the bike still seems to be less than perfect. A mystery yet to be solved, the sadistical part of me is beginning to really enjoy this bike...

So ya, I ran out of gas today and it turned into a mini epic. I have four different fuel tanks, the irony is hard to ignore....bike looks amazing though....

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 05:58 AM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #5433
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
After repairing the rear brake MC I finally got round to getting some new DOT 5.1, filled / bleed and tested up and down the road. Lovely feel, lovely black lines laid down Needs a proper ride to check it properly, but 99% sure I've sorted it.

cheers

Markie
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #5434
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
So ya, I ran out of gas today
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #5435
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,835
Deadly: any chance you have a venting issue? Is each of your fuel tanks vented so that air can replace the fuel as it is consumed? If not.. a vacuum on any of the 4 tanks could cause your issue.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #5436
deksawyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Having had my bike for less than 2 weeks, and finding it a bit lumpy low down, I carried out the 15 min idle trick. What can I say....it's a small improvement.

Next im going to disable the 1 & 2 gear restrictions with Tune ECU. And also the secondary butterflies.

My question is though: can they be physically left on the bike or do I have to remove them? Is there a benefit from having the oval butterfly modification?

Cheers

D.
deksawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #5437
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
908 on rear and trying a T63 for the first time no the front. We're doing a 5 day offroad run the end of May that I bought the tires for.. problem is I'll probably have them worn out by then

Was also debating about these before I pulling the trigger on the K60s. Will keep an eye out for your report and maybe grab some before Dinosaur.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #5438
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
More CJ Design Blingage!

So, not only did my Safari Tanks arrive (totally to my surprise) today, I also got a little package from CJ...

I'd love to rush right out and slap on the cover, but I'm gonna be patient and wait till my Rekluse EXP (another CJ order!) shows up in the next couple of weeks.

Also got this in the same package...

I'll probably put this bad boy on while I'm installing the Safaris.

Thanks again, CJ!
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #5439
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Tried to figure out why is my bike cutting out and hunting sometimes at IDLE..

So I've reset the valves (rear exhaust was a little loose, but still in spec).
Installed CR8EIX plugs, Installed new airfilter, resynced the carbs, checked all breathers, vents, vacuum lines, carb boots, choke connector.. IMS set from 2.25 to 2.0.. Now it backfires all the time on decel And ofcourse still hunts and cuts out:)

At least it pulls better (guess it's the new filter (and the iridium plugs maybe?))

So I'm out of ideas.. I guess I have two options left: Live with it as is, or get another carb and try if that solves my problem..

Sumi screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 12:45 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #5440
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post

Also got this in the same package...

I'll probably put this bad boy on while I'm installing the Safaris.

Thanks again, CJ!
So are these only available for 990 ? would love to get rid of the prefilter and box on my 950
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #5441
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
So are these only available for 990 ? would love to get rid of the prefilter and box on my 950
contact CJ, 950 ones our out already
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #5442
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
My CJ Cover was waiting on my doorstep when I got back from my ride last Saturday. I said "yeah, I'll wait until my next oil change and then do it all while the bike is on the stand.

The next morning I got up, ate breakfast, looked at the cover sitting on the kitchen table, went out to the garage, got the bike, hosed it off, put it back in the garage, pushed it over...

...and put it on. Patience? Hell no!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #5443
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
The next morning I got up, ate breakfast, looked at the cover sitting on the kitchen table, went out to the garage, got the bike, hosed it off, put it back in the garage, pushed over...
Very nice! I really like mine as well. But why lay the bike down? A small 2x4 under the rear wheel to give a bit more lean angle and you won't drop a single drop of oil.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #5444
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,439
Maybe he thought if he let it take a nap in his garage it wouldn't need one next time out in front of the restaurant!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #5445
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Maybe he thought if he let it take a nap in his garage it wouldn't need one next time out in front of the restaurant!
That's a great idea!! Pre-naps in the garage! Easier than in deep sand. Or mud.
I've gotta try that.