ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #5521
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Safari Tanks and a bit of "carbon fiber"

Got the Safari tanks installed today...

My brother works for Original Wraps/3M and did his best to professionally prep and wrap the right side tank... just a little experiment to see if the bonding agent will prolong the wrap life on the tank and how long the vinyl actually stays put.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #5522
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Got the Safari tanks installed today...

My brother works for Original Wraps/3M and did his best to professionally prep and wrap the right side tank... just a little experiment to see if the bonding agent will prolong the wrap life on the tank and how long the vinyl actually stays put.
Very nice
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #5523
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspeed View Post
Some new toys for the Adventure

GPS holder, just need some time to fit it up
Heads up on that adaptor plate. Mine broke a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed they have two different designs. The one you have looks like my original base plate (the long part on the lower right side). The plate eventually cracked just past the two mounting bolt holes. The only thing I can advise you on is make sure you pack a little screwdriver to unscrew the power source from the GPS mount, and keep your GPS's case with you to pack it up if that plate breaks.

Here's a photo of my broken base plate, shown along side of the new (replacement) plate aleady mounted. You can see that the break occurred right after the fold ended and before the cross plate where the bolts go through.

And here's a close up of the break...

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 09:50 PM
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #5524
jagspeed
Open the road

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
Heads up on that adaptor plate. Mine broke a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed they have two different designs. The one you have looks like my original base plate (the long part on the lower right side). The plate eventually cracked just past the two mounting bolt holes. The only thing I can advise you on is make sure you pack a little screwdriver to unscrew the power source from the GPS mount, and keep your GPS's case with you to pack it up if that plate breaks.

Here's a photo of my broken base plate, shown along side of the new (replacement) plate aleady mounted. You can see that the break occurred right after the fold ended and before the cross plate where the bolts go through.

And here's a close up of the break...

Thanks for the heads up. Looking at it, it does look like your new improved part looks more sturdy than the one I have. we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Did they give u the new part as a replacement when the old one broke?
jagspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #5525
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
Heads up on that adaptor plate. Mine broke a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed they have two different designs.

Just put the GPS mount on my bike. During the first spin with it last weekend I noticed how the GPS vibrates (moves up/down) when you go over even the slightest bump. I was thinking "is thing going to last when I head off road?" Looks like the answer is no. There must be a mod to brace the bracket so it doesn't vibrate itself to death.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #5526
jagspeed
Open the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochtouren View Post
Do you mean to tell me that Touratech actually SHIPS their product? Who knew? I'm aware of the ordering and paying for the parts, just didn't realize that people actually receive them as well... there, that feels better. Note to self, phone/stalk parts guy tomorrow again, haven't done so since Saturday...
I hope you get your stuff soon. The wait kills.
So just to ease the pain , here goes,

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
There's a relocation bracket to tuck up the remote +ve terminal for newer year 990s
Untitled
It now points up instead of sideways originally.(see the red cap just inside of the bash plate.)
Untitled
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #5527
BroodRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77

Installed an Oberon slave cylinder this morning. Easy job, spend about 30 minutes doing it

And this is the inside of the old slave cylinder. Haven't been able to test it the new cylinder, it was raining here all day.

Also a pic of the spacer between the engine and the clutch slave cylinder, looks pretty bent to me.

BroodRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #5528
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspeed View Post
I hope you get your stuff soon. The wait kills.
So just to ease the pain , here goes,

There's a relocation bracket to tuck up the remote +ve terminal for newer year 990s

It now points up instead of sideways originally.(see the red cap just inside of the bash plate.)
Looks good -thanks for the pics. I've got the Zega Pro's coming, the skid plate and the twin light/windscreen combo. Dying to see how that light looks.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #5529
jagspeed
Open the road

Quote:
Looks good -thanks for the pics. I've got the Zega Pro's coming, the skid plate and the twin light/windscreen combo. Dying to see how that light looks.
The lights should be awsome. Look great. I was looking at them too but ohh the $$$. So I got myself a HID bulb kit and will see if that will do.
Do post some pictures of the light power when you've got them up. Before n afters will be great.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #5530
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,390
I installed a set of KTM heated grips - nice & easy!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #5531
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
I installed a set of KTM heated grips - nice & easy!

Just make sure one of your riding buds doesn't flick the switch while you aren't watching on a warm day.

Other then when that happens I LOVE mine.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5532
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Do the new KTM grips have the 5 heat settings or three? Been thinking about trying them, but some complained that the old ones were either too cold or cooking their hands - curious if they're good quality now. The units I bought just don't have agressive enough grips (street oriented) so I've been hesitating to put them on. Pic please.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #5533
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 790
Just made my mounts for the rotopax cans. Just waiting for them to dry.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #5534
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Do the new KTM grips have the 5 heat settings or three? Been thinking about trying them, but some complained that the old ones were either too cold or cooking their hands - curious if they're good quality now. The units I bought just don't have agressive enough grips (street oriented) so I've been hesitating to put them on. Pic please.
4 heat settings...

Da grippage...

When I first installed them (back in Feb.) I thought, "F&%K... I'm never gonna use anything higher than setting 1!"... they were that hot. Now, after some burn in, they seem much more normal. I've been using Klim Adventure gloves (thinner, more tactile), so I can definitely feel the heat come on.

I need to take Geek's advice and put some of this on my left bar end...

Because the right grip DEFINITELY gets hotter than the left grip and I've got "grippy-turny" syndrome (yes... I did not use Griplock (sorry Geek... did I fail as a KTM wrenching padawan? )

Anyway... these grips are supposedly made by Oxford for KTM. Pretty decent kit for the buck. I may eventually add a Heat-troller to replace the stock controller, though that's a pretty low priority right now.. they work just fine.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #5535
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Thanks much for the info. Pics are awesome.