Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #7711
jm65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Laugh

eco foot pegs

hi guys , just for see you how i did a pair of foot pegs rally type with two pairs origin foot pegs , very easy to welding with a TIG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hasta la vista
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #7712
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,886
Put in 55W hi/lo HID and LED floods. Took a trial run last night. 150% improvement over stock.

Doubletake mirrors, new Wolfman tank bag, added extra power tap in glove box.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #7713
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Got to digging to find an issue

Got ya

spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #7714
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Help Please!

Trying to install my Scott's and BRP triple clamp.

I'm at the point of trying to seat the TC down onto the forks and threaded head tube shaft. I've put a ratchet strap between the front and rear wheels to aid in alignment and it slides right down to within about 1/8" from where I can get the head bolt to catch threads. Then upon trying to work it down farther, the head bearing pops out and I have to remove the TC again, re-seat the bearing and start the process over.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.

Edit: Got it figured out.

BuilderScott screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 04:23 PM
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #7715
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post

I'm at the point of trying to seat the TC down onto the forks and threaded head tube shaft. I've put a ratchet strap between the front and rear wheels to aid in alignment and it slides right down to within about 1/8" from where I can get the head bolt to catch threads. Then upon trying to work it down farther, the head bearing pops out and I have to remove the TC again, re-seat the bearing and start the process over.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated. I'm working on it now so feel free to call if you have the time. Or post up and I'll check back. Thanks.

303-579-9720
Hey Scott- It might make it easier to get the top bolt started before you have to deal with the fork tubes. Take the front wheel off, loosen the lower fork pinch bolts, and slide the tubes down far enough that you can get that bolt started before you have to get the tops of the forks in the top clamp.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7716
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Got it!

Thanks for the tip Zac.

Turns out I had the ignition in the 'lock' position so the locking pin (on the ignition assembly) was the culprit.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #7717
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Installed my Scott's and BRP today.

The security bolts for the ignition.

Tried using an easy out first. uhh, nope.

Ended up just drilling them out.

Got it all buttoned up. The bars don't quite clear the plastic knob so I took it off. Why don't they make the rise about 3 mm higher so the bars clear?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #7718
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Uni Air Filter.

Just installed a Uni Air Filter:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=51

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=52
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #7719
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.

Edit: Got it figured out.
I would never do the triple clamps without first taking out the forks. It's nearly impossible to properly adjust the tapered steering head bearings. Too tight and the bike will do a slow weave and the bearings will get notched. Too loose and they will bang around, notching the races.

HellSickle screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 08:44 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #7720
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Finally took my sweet Lilly on a proper adventure ride. No longer does she shine like she once did. I found out she's really a tough old broad. Should have named her Margaret thatcher. Started the day with a 35mph high side that sent me through a fence and down the hills side. My dumb ass accidentally blipped the throttle setting up for a right hair pin turn. I had little time to do more than lock it up and pray. Although hindsight is telling me otherwise. (Trust the damn bike to make the turn). All is well though. I'm a bit sore and Lilly has some scrapes. Just a slightly bent handlebar and a broken turn signal. One fucking tough bike. I did a pretty sweet superman flip into that fence and the guy behind me had a go pro on his helmet. Sadly it was off. Oh well at least I was fine. Again I was the dumb ass the bike was perfect. She started right back up and we continued another 175 miles through some amazing sights in the Sierra Nevada's. just hope I can get the new bars and a turn signal in time for next weeks ride.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #7721
JJLalas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Lenssen View Post
Hello JJ,

The slave cylinder of the clutches start to leak at an early age, the fact that the reservoir is empty might indicate you are loosing clutch fluid already. If the slave cylinder is still origina you might consider a decent replacement. This clutch system does not respond well to synthetic fluids, the fluids must be mineral, not sure if the dextron atf is mineral, if not I would get some mineral fluid (or even the original but expensive Maguar Blood) and redo the exercise.
Have fun!!! Although that is almost a given on the big KTM :-)
Marc
The previous owner only had the bike for a couple thousand miles, but he says he did not have any leaks on the clutch system. I'll keep and eye on it. So far I've put almost 2k miles and it works smooth as butter.

I don't know what to say about the ATF Dexron fluid...I did my research and plenty of people on several forums around the globe were using it on their Magura clutch on their KTM.

This is what I used:

It does say on the label it's mineral based and compatible with most O-rings .

They didn't have at that precise moment the green LHM for Citröen hydraulic suspension, but it is available and easy to find as well.

Here are the specs for the ATF Dexron III I used:

And here the full specs in PDF for this type of oil
JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #7722
chrisk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I added a Euro light with high output PIAA's some years ago and have been procrastinating getting some additional light output. Over the winter, while the bike was stripped for paint work, I started researching lighting options. Net-net I thought I'd try something different, going for a Dakar-ish look. Since I couldn't find a pre-made lamp that worked from a output, scale and aesthetic perspective, I called Paul Geller at Ducati Designs to see if he had a prototype something or other sitting on his shelf. He did and out of the myriad of options I chose a Hella 90mm High beam that I adapted to fit on the dash of the 950.

It's still a work in progress and it shows.

I tested it yesterday to see how solid everything is and to make sure that the windscreen hole was the right size to account for off road vibrations. Still needs a bit of dremel work on the plastic and some light shielding on the lower portion of the lens to limit stray light being directed to the dash surface. After I am satisfied wit the fit, I will finish the job by cutting the adjuster shafts down, adding black adjuster knobs to the shafts, rubber booting the ugly back of light connections, and painting the back of the screen flat black and the front of the screen Porsche Guards red to match the new paintwork.

The 65W light is currently triggered off the high beam circuit but has a separate rocker light switch control. The additional light output is significant in the shop and impressive in the reflection off of road markers and reflective lettering in the rain yesterday but I have yet to test it at night. Once night tested to get a baseline setting, I'll add an H-9 HID.

I'll post progress pics as I go.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #7723
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Over the winter, while the bike was stripped for paint work...
Wow, great color! The high light placement looks pretty cool too.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #7724
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,202
While i´m at school in the southern part of Denmark. I went for an ride in the spring-like weather. 10 celcius and slow wind. AND no, I did not HDR the pictures. The sky was super blue.

LocuL screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 10:45 AM
LocuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #7725
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
While i´m at school in the southern part of Denmark. I went for an ride in the spring-like weather. 10 celcius and slow wind. AND no, I did not HDR the pictures. The sky was super blue.

Nice bike!