Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Fork Bleeder Valves:

BDCW Side Stand Re-locator:
Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #8072
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
I had to uninstall and then reinstall my grips because I had put them on the wrong sides.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #8073
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Gave it some Wings,

My buddy "helping me... drink beer, lol! The 450 in progress in the background too...

Gave it a high fender too, ;) HID's gotta come off cause they get in the way of full lock... Now I'll have to sort a new secondary lighting solution or just live with the Euro stock light. I'm thinking a Baja Designs LED bar myself...

Also pulled the 450's suspender's to take to Lee at Rider's Edge here in Alberta. Was a good excuse to get away from the flooding in Calgary, lol! Some state this bike is in... *sigh*

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 03:03 PM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #8074
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post

Gave it a high fender too, ;) HID's gotta come off cause they get in the way of full lock... Now I'll have to sort a new secondary lighting solution or just live with the Euro stock light. I'm thinking a Baja Designs LED bar myself...
I gotta do the same thing...got Safari tanks and I neither need to mod the crash bars or a new light setup. Look at the Rigid Industries lights too...pretty damn cool if you ask me. They make a combo spot/flood as well spots, floods, drivings, etc. I think they will fit where the mesh dealy under the stock light.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #8075
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
I gotta do the same thing...got Safari tanks and I neither need to mod the crash bars or a new light setup. Look at the Rigid Industries lights too...pretty damn cool if you ask me. They make a combo spot/flood as well spots, floods, drivings, etc. I think they will fit where the mesh dealy under the stock light.
Yep, the mesh thingy (that does nothing, lol) is right where I want to put the bar light. 8" or so. I'll need to fab some brackets up, but shouldn't be a major deal. If I need something fancy I know a few guys locally that could zip something up for me.

I looked at the Rigid's too. Gonna be a cost over quality issue though? I know Baja stands behind their stuff and they are proven tough. Haven't done enough research on the Rigid stuff yet.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #8076
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Hardwired a line for my Garmin 60csx.
T-minus 7 days and counting till I'm off to the Arctic Circle!
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #8077
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post

If you allready got the Safaris then i wouldn´t use the crashbars. Save the weight. These Safaris are very sturdy and if you still manage to make hole in the tank you body is probably in an bad state. When i got through all the welding in these tanks, the place with the least thickness was 0.5 cm.

Nice buildup Kaptinkaos. You are doing a LOT in are very short time. If i were to give some advice. Then try make it over a longer period. My own experience while i changed my severely is I didn´t always know which mods actually worked for me. Especially of i had to seek out some faults then i needed to take more steps "backwards" before i got i right. Just some pointers.

I´m very interested in the LED bar mod....

Mikael
Denmark
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #8078
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

New tires and tubes. I went with OEM spec Pirelli Scorpion MT90's

I kept the near new MotoZ front plus the old rear tube. Strapped up nicely on the back.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #8079
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Took the 500 to the shop. Found out that the 160 does NOT fit the 5 rear without compromising on the tracking of the bike. Rushed around looking for a 150 in North Hollywood no one had a used one or a new one?! Got a call from the mechanic pissed.. I have a 32 spoke rim.. And it's a 36 spoke stock hub.. Ahhhhh yes now I remember the fun of customising bikes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #8080
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
If you allready got the Safaris then i wouldn´t use the crashbars. Save the weight. These Safaris are very sturdy and if you still manage to make hole in the tank you body is probably in an bad state. When i got through all the welding in these tanks, the place with the least thickness was 0.5 cm.

Nice buildup Kaptinkaos. You are doing a LOT in are very short time. If i were to give some advice. Then try make it over a longer period. My own experience while i changed my severely is I didn´t always know which mods actually worked for me. Especially of i had to seek out some faults then i needed to take more steps "backwards" before i got i right. Just some pointers.

I´m very interested in the LED bar mod....

Mikael
Denmark
Thanks man, but I've been down this road a couple of times with a couple of bikes. I know the directions I wanna go with things, and some parts are always try, try again, lol! I made the mistake of only going halfway with my last bike thinking I would make it the way I wanted to over time and I just never did... This time I am putting a lot of effort, time and thought into this and am going to make it exactly the way I want it. After only 6000kms and 2 months (really only 3 weeks of time at home) I know that this bike will be with me for a very long time... After today I finally have the cockpit and position where I want it... Keep in mind, I've been planning this for over a year. Reading, researching, asking... Quite a bit of work done today too, lol... My fingers are sore!!!

Finally got my bark busters from HDB on today... LOVE the clean air all around me now. Took any little disturbance I felt away even though I had no buffeting really before. The mirrors are tiny, but I can manage and I shoulder check a lot anyway. Not too much traffic where I ride anyway, lol!

Also added an extra inch of rise. Finally the bars are where I want them! A total of 4.75" from the top of the Emig trees. Feels fantastic sitting or standing now, :)

Earlier in the day I tore the bike down for some maintenance. Oil change, CJ oil drain hose, SAS-ectomy and finishing the canisterectomy off. Away with you silly smog/pollution crap!

And removed that stupid lock on the glove box

And pulled off the HID's. They weren't allowing me full lock on steering so... Meh. 8" LED bar eventually now I'm sure. Before I get PM's about these, they are spoken for already, :) While I had the bike apart I was going to throw the Iridiums in, but I apparently was sent the wrong plugs wrong plugs... doh.

Had a ride tonight... All of the hesitation at 2500-3000rpm is gone, feels like it is running right now without a remap. I have the medium baffles in the Wings now too, still sounds great, but not overly annoyingly loud, lol! Cheers!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #8081
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,347

Suspension out and sent to be tuned up. Going to raise the front to 245mm travel at the same time. Seat has been sent off to get a seat concepts foam added to it. Pulled the swingarm and regreased it, pulled the centre stand and greased the bushings, it wasn't retracting fully and I found it was hanging up on one of the bash plate bolts that were too long so fixed that while I was there. Then pulled off the triple clamps and greased the bearings there too. Finished up fitting a splash guard to the back of the front guard.
Plans for next weekend are fitting up a set of new wider bars and some barkbusters

“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #8082
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
New light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Yep, the mesh thingy (that does nothing, lol) is right where I want to put the bar light. 8" or so. I'll need to fab some brackets up, but shouldn't be a major deal. If I need something fancy I know a few guys locally that could zip something up for me.

I looked at the Rigid's too. Gonna be a cost over quality issue though? I know Baja stands behind their stuff and they are proven tough. Haven't done enough research on the Rigid stuff yet.

You might check with Darryl at Cyclops Motorsports, I think he's designed a light for the spot you're talking about.
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #8083
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 299
replaced my balance shaft seal

old seal right, new seal left.

No more oil lost via the crankcase breather

edit the pictures are blocked: http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list...31805#25031805

Spark01 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 12:29 AM
Spark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #8084
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,074
Finished the rally screen I started here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7935

This is stock screen, with cut n welded lip and fiberglass twin light insert.

Color match isn't good, I'll need to rethink how to get a better match.

Very important to me was the finish on the back side, and keep the oem edge all way around.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #8085
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Looks great in the pics. If you're that unhappy with it though I'll gladly take it off your hands.