ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #8851
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I changed the oil for the first time after my second water pump rebuild last week. There was still a good bit of water in the oil and the filter was pretty wavy. Hoping this is just the remnants of what was left in the case. I'll change the oil again next weekend and see what that looks like.

For those of you who've had to do this (water pump rebuild) how many oil changes did it take to flush all the water from the cases?

Aside from that, I replaced my breather filter, air filter, re-mapped the bike and gave it an overall once over...torquing bolts, etc.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #8852
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamLeeR View Post
Sold my 950............now regretting it bad.
Thinking grabbing a 990 now, people tell me NO but they have No idea how great this bike performs.

I sold cause no dealers around close to work on it and I've been 2000 miles from the house and helpless when she had hiccups and no one could fix her.

Wonder if the 990 would be more dependable.............
I have 2 KTM's (1 is the 990) and the nearest KTM dealer is 6 hours away!

Don't care, bikes are awesome.

You can get a ton of info, fixes, etc online these days, so I can live with not having a dealer close by.
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.2wheelcentral.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #8853
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
I changed the oil for the first time after my second water pump rebuild last week. There was still a good bit of water in the oil and the filter was pretty wavy. Hoping this is just the remnants of what was left in the case. I'll change the oil again next weekend and see what that looks like.

For those of you who've had to do this (water pump rebuild) how many oil changes did it take to flush all the water from the cases?

Aside from that, I replaced my breather filter, air filter, re-mapped the bike and gave it an overall once over...torquing bolts, etc.
A way of flushing it through without costing shitloads in oil is to use diesel. Dont start it, but just fill the thing full of diesel and turn it over with the spark leads out, drain and repeat..

I did this with a freshly rebuilt v8 once (after the head gaskets, heads/block test were not the problem of the water into the oil) and found it very successful, since then I use diesel instead of engine flush with everything..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #8854
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
A way of flushing it through without costing shitloads in oil is to use diesel. Dont start it, but just fill the thing full of diesel and turn it over with the spark leads out, drain and repeat..

I did this with a freshly rebuilt v8 once (after the head gaskets, heads/block test were not the problem of the water into the oil) and found it very successful, since then I use diesel instead of engine flush with everything..
Interesting, never heard of that technique before, thanks. I'll look into it.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #8855
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Quote:

Cool trick but I'm not sure what the remaining diesel in the engine will do to fresh oil. Might not be good.

One other way is this. Dump the used oil and let it sit for a while in a clean pan to let the oil and water separate.

Remove the water from the top using any method u can think of....like a syringe or a cotton piece. Use the oil to flush more water out of the engine. And repeat this as needed.

After the first flush, water will separate from oil quicker if you don't run the engine just. You can rotate it manually using the bolt on the generator cover or put it in 6th gear on center stand and rotate the rear wheel (harder).
Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #8856
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Rode mine to the tank retirement home...
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #8857
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
Cool trick but I'm not sure what the remaining diesel in the engine will do to fresh oil. Might not be good.

One other way is this. Dump the used oil and let it sit for a while in a clean pan to let the oil and water separate.

Remove the water from the top using any method u can think of....like a syringe or a cotton piece. Use the oil to flush more water out of the engine. And repeat this as needed.

After the first flush, water will separate from oil quicker if you don't run the engine just. You can rotate it manually using the bolt on the generator cover or put it in 6th gear on center stand and rotate the rear wheel (harder).

Thanks.. Well given my non chemical background, I assumed diesel was made from oil and is basically a lighter version.. Therefore its got to be 1000% better for your engine than water is and due my calculation I estimated it to be a viable solution.. hahaha

From what I have seen, it mixes with the oil. But it cleans the crap out of an engine bigtime, and gives the new oil a longer life as it stays clean looking for a lot longer.

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #8858
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Rode mine to the tank retirement home...
Man you guys have it all, tank retirement home, plane graveyards etc.. if this was australia and they had a retirement home fo ranything defence wise it would either be in a museum or fenced up and considered confidential until they have rusted to nothing..

Whats to stop you from grabbing a tank with a truck or something and take it home and fix it?

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #8859
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Whats to stop you from grabbing a tank with a truck or something and take it home and fix it?
Probably about 50 tons of metal haha
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #8860
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
Probably about 50 tons of metal haha
LOL only 50? meh, ill whip out the snatch strap and tow it home behind the 4x4 hahaha

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #8861
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Thanks.. Well given my non chemical background, I assumed diesel was made from oil and is basically a lighter version.. Therefore its got to be 1000% better for your engine than water is and due my calculation I estimated it to be a viable solution.. hahaha

From what I have seen, it mixes with the oil. But it cleans the crap out of an engine bigtime, and gives the new oil a longer life as it stays clean looking for a lot longer.
I've been thinking of de-gunking the my motors at oil change (no water worries but I'm sure there's other crud). Diesel is an interesting idea.
I use Seafoam in the tank from time to time to clean that end of things, and noticed on the can it says to add it to the crankcase (cars) as well. Anyone ever do this on their bike? I wouldn't ride with it in, but you could add to the oil, run it for a while, then drain and change.
Thoughts???
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #8862
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 367
Fell down on my SE riding in DEEP sand south of lake havasu city after driving 1500 miles thru the below zero weather from WA to AZ. Nothing broke though. The sand was like a marshmallow SE soft landing pad.
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
'15 KTM 1290 SA ordered.
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #8863
Mesjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Working on a side stand relocater , and high finder . Going to disable the sidestand switch .
Mesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #8864
FWUT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I beat it like a orange headed stepchild!!
FWUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #8865
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
I've been thinking of de-gunking the my motors at oil change (no water worries but I'm sure there's other crud). Diesel is an interesting idea.
I use Seafoam in the tank from time to time to clean that end of things, and noticed on the can it says to add it to the crankcase (cars) as well. Anyone ever do this on their bike? I wouldn't ride with it in, but you could add to the oil, run it for a while, then drain and change.
Thoughts???
I wouldn't use diesel fuel, but I did use diesel motor oil after my water pump seal failed. Diesel motor oil is a high detergent oil that does a bang-up job of pulling water, antifreeze, clutch fibers, carbon, pretty much any dirt & grit that accumulates in you engine.

It was recommended by the inmates here. I did 2-500 mile changes with Rotella T to flush the engine: I was a bit surprised by the amount of suspended crap in the oil during the second change.

I'm back to full synthetic. I plan on "flushing" the engine once a year this way. Overkill? Maybe, but compared to a regular oil change I've never seen that much crap caught in oil before.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote