Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #9256
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
Can I get a look see of your parts list? I'm sick of my 2008 ABS releasing my brakes all the time, so it needs to be removed before I hit something.
Thanks!
J.
Don't have the part numbers on hand this second but the cost is about 335$
You need 2 front brake lines off a 03/04s (I have a high fender)
Banjo seals dual banjo screw for master cylinder (left side clipper is same screw)
1rear brake line off 03/04s and seals
Front speedo pick up off 03/04s

Then gut the bike remove all the crap and then the speed pu goes right th the speedo

I am also replacing the button for abs with a digital volt meter

All factory parts and a loss of 11 lbs more or less
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #9257
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
It all started with a bad turn signal ... except it wasn't the light bulb, it was a frayed wire and the light bulb on the other signal was rusted to the socket so that one had to go too.

I had a pair of LED signals sitting around so I decided to try those, however for some reason with the regular 10-W 10-Ohm resistor some of the LEDs did not light up. They all worked fine when I connected the turn signal wires directly to a battery, so it wasn't the LEDs. Back to the 'Shack for some 10-W 50-Ohm resistors and now the LEDs are fully lit. The flash rate is a bit fast, but I'm fine with that.

I also got some LED strips on eBay and decided to see how the look on the bike. I wired the positive lead into the tail light and negative is grounded to the pannier frame which I later realized is a mistake: the LED strips don't output as much light as they should. My camera picks up more light than is output from the strips, the turn signals are really bright tho! I'll re-wire the negative wires to the tail light wires and then I'll put another pair of these LED strips on the front, I'm thinking white ones (wired into the headlight) on the crash bars and yellow/amber ones on the hand guards (wired into the turn signals). Hopefully this will wake up the cagers around here.

I've been down that alley before with LED bulbs. Here are a couple of things that might be useful.

- use IC relay instead of stock relay. That way LED signals work with no resistors and it You go back to normal bulbs you won't notice a thing. Try one off eBay.

- LED lights generally do not have the same dept. Meaning on a bright day your old school bulbs are more visible. I noticed that when a friend rode my bike. I immediately switched back to stock bulbs.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:51 AM   #9258
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
Geez, I'm 6' with a 32" inseam ....... no way I'm ever gonna flat foot my non S model.
that was the before pic
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #9259
Decepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Changed fuel filters

thanks to gefr, Could get a set of good priced fuel filters.

A lot of bad things have been said about me, all of them are true
Decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #9260
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 524
I finally put on the Weld86/CJ Designs skid plate. CJ worked with Weld to make some improvements to the original design. Toyed around with maybe buying cheaper options, but we have some serious rock where I ride and I wanted a buy once cry once skid plate.

I have to say that the turn around on the order was very good. I knew the CJ was moving to a new shop and worried this would delay more order, but it didn't. He communicated via email with me and shipped promptly. Another interesting and funny thing was when I unpacked the box I found that he had packed it like it was made of glass. I've never seen so much plastic and bubble wrap, LOL.

It went on as easy as the stock unit. Quite possibly the easiest farkle to put on this bike. Here are some pics.

ben
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #9261
BMacW650

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
It all started with a bad turn signal ... except it wasn't the light bulb, it was a frayed wire and the light bulb on the other signal was rusted to the socket so that one had to go too.

I had a pair of LED signals sitting around so I decided to try those, however for some reason with the regular 10-W 10-Ohm resistor some of the LEDs did not light up. They all worked fine when I connected the turn signal wires directly to a battery, so it wasn't the LEDs. Back to the 'Shack for some 10-W 50-Ohm resistors and now the LEDs are fully lit. The flash rate is a bit fast, but I'm fine with that.

I also got some LED strips on eBay and decided to see how the look on the bike. I wired the positive lead into the tail light and negative is grounded to the pannier frame which I later realized is a mistake: the LED strips don't output as much light as they should. My camera picks up more light than is output from the strips, the turn signals are really bright tho! I'll re-wire the negative wires to the tail light wires and then I'll put another pair of these LED strips on the front, I'm thinking white ones (wired into the headlight) on the crash bars and yellow/amber ones on the hand guards (wired into the turn signals). Hopefully this will wake up the cagers around here.

Superbrightleds sells LED replacement bulbs with resistors builtin.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4...624_191154.jpg

Little more work with kissan relay you get this

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #9262
toto#77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88

non è facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco...
toto#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #9263
macleod
New guy

Oddometer: 72
Started riding from Sydney down to Melbourne taking the long way.

Earned my adv stick this trip.

Temporary back in business until I get back. But ready for little more riding.

And I have made a new friend.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #9264
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Started riding from Sydney down to Melbourne taking the long way.
Curious about your route...
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #9265
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Rottweiler Bits

Installed Rottweiler cans,intake,and block off plates. Also removed the SAS and related plumbing. Ready to map now.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #9266
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 392
G2

Finally got around to installing a G2 throttle cam with a 400 cam. It's been sitting on the shelf for 6 months. The install was very straight forward, and after a quick test ride, I like the results. The throttle isn't as sensitive putting around in first gear. I'm looking forward to using it in the slow-going rough stuff off-road. The throttle tube and cam are high quality items. Glad I did it.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 AM   #9267
The "OC"
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Took the 1190 out for some good dirt riding, some fun on an advanced course and brought some hooligans with on their 690s great day .

No issues with the 1190 running like a dream I say thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #9268
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I've been down that alley before with LED bulbs. Here are a couple of things that might be useful.

- use IC relay instead of stock relay. That way LED signals work with no resistors and it You go back to normal bulbs you won't notice a thing. Try one off eBay.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I've gotten tired of soldering in resistors, I've done so many I'm almost a pro now! Got a link for an IC relay, I'm not sure which one to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
- LED lights generally do not have the same dept. Meaning on a bright day your old school bulbs are more visible. I noticed that when a friend rode my bike. I immediately switched back to stock bulbs.
True but I've killed so many bulbs with falls, rocks, and water infiltration that I'll accept the compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Little more work with kissan relay you get this

That's a really nice setup, tempting!

Had a bit more fun yesterday (all day!) running a wire from the battery's positive terminal to a relay behind the headlight. The relay is switched by the parking light (I have a euro light switch ), so I can turn of the relay (and the lights) when I want to use all the battery's juice for cranking and then turn lights and relay on when the bike is running.

The power wire then goes from the relay to a fuse box where I can attach all the accessories I need. Right now all I have are a couple of flood LEDs on the mirrors, again trying to make myself a little more conspicuous... Yea I know, good luck with that one. Next I'll wire into the fuse box the heated gear and a Screaming Banshee horn that has already found its place in the right side fairing, the GPS and some good spot lights.

Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #9269
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
In trying to fix a tweaked fender, spent some time looking around the front. Rerouted the speed pickup thingmajiggy as it didn't look quite like in the repair manual.

Anyone have a close up pic of the routing of the brake hose guide (the little metal thingy) that hold the brake line? I've seen a few variations. (for a 950 Adv)

Also, while there, I replaced the front brake pads and now the pads won't spread enough to get the wheel back on - more investigative work tonight….I'm going to open up the reservoir then use a helping chisel to get the pads to spread further.

At the very least, I'm getting more and more familiar with the bike each week….

M.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #9270
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 357
remove some fluid first

Take half the fluid out of the master reservoir, find something thinner than the current gap (NOT smaller than the surface area of the brake pad, no screwdrivers or chisels or anything else smaller than the surface of the friction material), and rock it sideways to spread the caliper cylinders. I try to remember to do so with the disk whenever I remove a caliper from the fork leg.

Top up the fluid afterwards if required, or better yet empty the master reservoir at the start of the job, flush and fill at the finish. This is an easy and good time to flush the brakes, unless you just did it.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote