User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #991
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
FMF Q4 Silencers

I installed the FMF Q4 silencers last night and went for their first ride today.

A few weeks back, my 11 year old daughter brushed the muffler with the outside of her forearm as she walked thru the garage, and got a burn that has only now healed up. Based on that, plus the unpleasantness of riding with the supernovas cooking away beside me, I decided I needed new mufflers.

I'm more of a stealth rider; in my opinion, the quieter the better. I would be perfectly happy with the stock mufflers' sound and power level, but the heat was just too bad.

I picked the FMF Q4 based on price and anticipated lower sound levels, and bought for $480 shipped, from ebay seller myshop09.

The first ride today met my expectations. The sound is a bit louder than I would prefer, but not "too" loud. In enclosed spaces (under bridges and tunnels), there is a bit of an annoying booming effect, but that's pretty transient. The heat is a night and day difference - I can keep my bare hand on the muffler for about 5 seconds, immediately after shutting down, after a 1/2 hour ride. So, no more 2nd degree burns for me or my family!

Finally, a nice bonus - the "throttle snatch" problem has been bothering me (particularly when riding two up and trying to keep it smooth and comfortable, but any transition from trailing throttle to part throttle could lurch a bit). The bike is very noticeably smoothed out now. I noticed that my chain has a bit too much slack as I installed the mufflers; I'll adjust that tonight, and I bet I won't be considering the G2 Throttle any longer.

Tirespin screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 02:41 PM
Tirespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #992
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country
Just did this conversion last night. Still need to build a better bracket, ect. Anyone used one of these pumps? Are they up to the task? Is there an ideal location for the pump (does it need to be below the bottom of the tank to work best)?

Thanks!

Tony
Tony, I have had the Mikuni on my 950ADV for about a month and a half now. No issues so far and the bike runs great with it. I also like that I have one less drain on the Electrical System.

Tim
Old 09-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #993
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
The ABS (anti braking system) stuff takes up most of the room for tools, so I did this.

Tangai screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 06:49 AM
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #994
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
That's sweet. I was looking for the rider who built the little tool box by cutting out the plastic right under where you put your foam.
I can't weld much so your solution is neat. What the foam thickness?
Thanks!
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #995
MotoGrandpa
advdualsportendurotrials

Oddometer: 437
High fender mod

I spent some time making the high fender modification to my 990. Looks good and relatively inexpensive.

Now to ride with it....
MotoGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #996
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto
That's sweet. I was looking for the rider who built the little tool box by cutting out the plastic right under where you put your foam.
I can't weld much so your solution is neat. What the foam thickness?
Thanks!
3/4" thick. I made it from a stadium-bench pad I bought from Wal-Mart for $3.95. I used a scalpel supplied by my wife (yeah, she’s scary) to cut it out. It’s not glued down, the seat holds it in place.

Tangai screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 06:36 PM
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #997
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,125
If any of you guys are bored.. I've been working on a ride report on a little spin I did this past weekend

Titled: Granny Nipples, Lock Picking, and Huckleberries

Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621604

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #998
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik
Tony, I have had the Mikuni on my 950ADV for about a month and a half now. No issues so far and the bike runs great with it. I also like that I have one less drain on the Electrical System.

Tim
Thanks Tim!
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #999
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai
3/4" thick. I made it from a stadium-bench pad I bought from Wal-Mart for $3.95. I used a scalpel supplied by my wife (yeah, shes scary) to cut it out. Its not glued down, the seat holds it in place.
Awesome!
Thanks!!

I'm gonna make one too
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #1000
Geek
oot & aboot

Went out to change my girlfriends rear tire and found my Adventure's rear tire flat

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #1001
924sas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Went out to change my girlfriends rear tire and found my Adventure's rear tire flat

i do like your "axle-holder"
924sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #1002
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,854
Spooned on new(ish) tyres (MT21 front and Michelin Desert rear) nipped the front tube during the process and swapped to my SE fender for this weekends Welsh bash.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #1003
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
I added a temporary rear rack to serve until I can figure out what gets mounted there for the long term. It's nothing more than a plastic (polypropylene?) cutting board, but should work just enough to get the job, yet look cheesy enough to prevent my leaving it in place for an extended period of time:

ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #1004
Geek
oot & aboot

I picked up a Pelican 1450 for the tail today.. now I just need to come up with a good way to attach it to the CJ rack
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #1005
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirespin
I installed the FMF Q4 silencers last night and went for their first ride today.

A few weeks back, my 11 year old daughter brushed the muffler with the outside of her forearm as she walked thru the garage, and got a burn that has only now healed up. Based on that, plus the unpleasantness of riding with the supernovas cooking away beside me, I decided I needed new mufflers.

I'm more of a stealth rider; in my opinion, the quieter the better. I would be perfectly happy with the stock mufflers' sound and power level, but the heat was just too bad.

I picked the FMF Q4 based on price and anticipated lower sound levels, and bought for $480 shipped, from ebay seller myshop09.

The first ride today met my expectations. The sound is a bit louder than I would prefer, but not "too" loud. In enclosed spaces (under bridges and tunnels), there is a bit of an annoying booming effect, but that's pretty transient. The heat is a night and day difference - I can keep my bare hand on the muffler for about 5 seconds, immediately after shutting down, after a 1/2 hour ride. So, no more 2nd degree burns for me or my family!

Finally, a nice bonus - the "throttle snatch" problem has been bothering me (particularly when riding two up and trying to keep it smooth and comfortable, but any transition from trailing throttle to part throttle could lurch a bit). The bike is very noticeably smoothed out now. I noticed that my chain has a bit too much slack as I installed the mufflers; I'll adjust that tonight, and I bet I won't be considering the G2 Throttle any longer.
Nice. What year bike and did you have to remap or screw with any thing else. Im looking for something thats more plug and play for my 09.

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote