User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 678
KTM 250 exc/xcf-w info

I've searched this section several times and haven't seen any threads on the above bikes. If there's one I missed please give me a link. If not, tell me about your bike. I'm an old enduro rider who rode and raced Xcountry for 35 years. Six years ago I hard major back surgery, so I sold my 400EXC. I recently bought a KLR650 which is great for what it was designed for, but now I have the need for a light weight dual sport bike. I want to start riding the AMA dual sports with my old buddies. Some in there 70's and still doing it. I'm 6' and about 200#. I don't want to lug a big heavy bike around. I've also considered the WR250R. Any comment will be appreciated. thanks,
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thumb

I own an 08 250xcfw. It's light, strong, 6 gears, and lots of low end power. What helps more in the woods imo is the wide ratio tranny. Mine cannot be plated but I know if you can plate it, you will not be dissapointed. I'd for sure take it over the wr250r. lots of write - ups over in Thumpertalk and KTMtalk.
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,774
You certainly should consider the Husky TE250 and TE310. Street legal from the factory. Only down side is the close ratio tranny, but if you aren't doing much street it doesn't matter.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Are you sure about a 250EXC for dual-sport? I have both the 250 and the 450, and I would not want to take the 250 on any longer runs. For me, it's for tight enduro etc. The 450 goes everywhere where the 250 goes, and more, and the only reason I added the 250 to the stable was to be able to run aggresively without getting too exhausted from the hard-hitting power of the 450. There is no weight difference on the bikes.

Maybe I misunderstand the definition of AMA dual-sport?

With that said, the 250 is a blast
03' KTM 640Adv (Passed on to other hooligan)
04' BMW 650 Dakar (Oops, totalled)
81' YAMAHA YZ 125 (Died in my arms of old age)
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan
Are you sure about a 250EXC for dual-sport? I have both the 250 and the 450, and I would not want to take the 250 on any longer runs. For me, it's for tight enduro etc. The 450 goes everywhere where the 250 goes, and more, and the only reason I added the 250 to the stable was to be able to run aggresively without getting too exhausted from the hard-hitting power of the 450. There is no weight difference on the bikes.

Maybe I misunderstand the definition of AMA dual-sport?

With that said, the 250 is a blast
First, I should have said EXC-F, but I get the feeling that was understood. I have to question what you say about no weight difference. Even the factory says 20#. Also, I don't want the hard hitting power of the 450. The AMA dual sport is a series of organized trail rides for licensed bikes. Most ride EXC's, DRZ's, TE's or any dirt bike with a plate.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,607
I bought a used 07 XCF-W.
It's plated, has lights, horn, turn signals.

I bought it with 1,200 miles on it, it now has about 2,000 miles on it.

I would not ride it for long distances over the paved road, I have done 50+ mile days on fire roads with no problems.

It's got a "mellow" off the throttle powerband, when it comes on the pipe there's a good hit, and it's got a 13+K top end.

The carb is jetted, it has an FMF Powerbomb system with a Q4 silencer -it does have the 4.1C pipe that really livens up the power, but it's way to loud.

I am running the 09 250 SX-F CDI, and I have the Rekluse clutch.

I have owned many many dirt bikes in my lifetime, this little Katoom is my favorite one of them all.

The guy I bought it from wants it back.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,607
Don't forget the 400 XC-W, it does not have the powerband like the 450.

It's like the 250 XCF-W on steroids.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I stand corrected, 106kg vs 114 kg. I just assumed it was the same weight more or less, like the 450 and the 530. No wonder it feels more flickable and lighter. Yihaa!

BTW, why not the 400. Very mellow engine compared to the 450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
First, I should have said EXC-F, but I get the feeling that was understood. I have to question what you say about no weight difference. Even the factory says 20#. Also, I don't want the hard hitting power of the 450. The AMA dual sport is a series of organized trail rides for licensed bikes. Most ride EXC's, DRZ's, TE's or any dirt bike with a plate.
03' KTM 640Adv (Passed on to other hooligan)
04' BMW 650 Dakar (Oops, totalled)
81' YAMAHA YZ 125 (Died in my arms of old age)
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,304
250xcf-w

I have an 08 250XCF-W and love it. If you buy one, either buy the JD jetting kit or put the SX-F jetting in it. ALso replace the stock rear sprocket with the MX gearing. It raises 1-2 & 3rd a little and makes the spread a little wider and 1st more useable and more top speed. If anyone tells you the tail pipe constipates it, not true, I tore mine aprt to see, it doesn't.

The EXC probably has a nicer suspension but plating a XCF in Ohio is very easy, at least down here in Stark County as I have mine plated

I am 6-2, 200 lbs and the bike goes any where I want.

If you would like to test ride one, I live about 20 miles south of you.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
I have an 08 250XCF-W and love it. If you buy one, either buy the JD jetting kit or put the SX-F jetting in it. ALso replace the stock rear sprocket with the MX gearing. It raises 1-2 & 3rd a little and makes the spread a little wider and 1st more useable and more top speed. If anyone tells you the tail pipe constipates it, not true, I tore mine aprt to see, it doesn't.

The EXC probably has a nicer suspension but plating a XCF in Ohio is very easy, at least down here in Stark County as I have mine plated

I am 6-2, 200 lbs and the bike goes any where I want.

If you would like to test ride one, I live about 20 miles south of you.
Mike,
I'm convinced I want one, but I will contact you when I get it for help setting it up. Thanks,
'12 NC700X/D
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

I'll have my '09 250 XCF-W home in a couple of days. I'm very pleased with the deal I got at Point View KTM Canfield Ohio.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
SHOREBILL
Some Guy

Oddometer: 357
Tried it and loved it

I ride a WR450 and 640 ADV (to be sold). I ride lots of nasty single track, and real technical stuff.

I got a chance to ride the 250 and it is incredibly balanced with a great flexible motor (the Japanese equivilants need to be reved much harder).

It does lack the top end punch of a 450 (without much weight saving), but to be completely honest I'd probaly be faster on the 250.

Why the 450? It cost about half as much andin Colorado easilly tagable.
SHOREBILL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,304
Look around, I picked my 250XCFW up for $5500 new and from what I hear, KTM has some incentive packages too.

DOH!!! I guess I missed you post, you found one!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park

mgorman screwed with this post 11-16-2009 at 06:23 PM
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 2,366
I have an 04 250 EXC-G and it's a pretty sweet little bike in the woods. Mine is set up with a Rekluse and a LHRB so it's pretty agile and very easy to maneuver. I have taken it on plenty of 300+ km/day rides and it has done well with a EE tall soft and an XC gas tank. The close ratio gearbox is a little too close for road use. You can coax 80mph out of it but it's nearly bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th. Great little Enduro/mild DS scoot.

The newer 250 is a completely different animal. It has a racier motor and better suspension. I'm sure you'll love yours.

If the bike does not come with, invest in a case saver, a rear brake rotor guard and a skidplate. Gearing is everything on a 250 so get new sprockets and a good o-ring chain, I would recommend an Ironman combo from Dirt Tricks.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
Look around, I picked my 250XCFW up for $5500 new and from what I hear, KTM has some incentive packages too.

DOH!!! I guess I missed you post, you found one!
Mike,
I'm VERY happy with the deal I got. And to the rest of you thanks, and keep the comments and pics coming. I'm getting a new bike this week and having another surgery next week. I'll be on the forum a lot for a few weeks.
'12 NC700X/D