User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
dr650 front suspension

just a quick question, and a noob one at that. I have never messed with suspension before on cars or motorcycles. I have done a fair share of other stuff so im not completely tarded. The guy i bought my bike from has the rear in the factory low setting which seems simple to change. The front however he has raised the forks up in the tubes and i would like to revert the front back to factory position.

My problem here is, where would the top triple clamp be in relation to the top of the fork tubes from the factory? is it all the way flush, or an inch down or what? anyone who has a non-adjusted front shock able to post a picture or a measurement of distance from the top of the fork tube to the top-side of the upper triple clamp?

oops, its a 2005 fwiw

jayj93pgt screwed with this post 04-05-2015 at 10:39 AM Reason: forgot something
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
just a quick question, and a noob one at that. I have never messed with suspension before on cars or motorcycles. I have done a fair share of other stuff so im not completely tarded. The guy i bought my bike from has the rear in the factory low setting which seems simple to change. The front however he has raised the forks up in the tubes and i would like to revert the front back to factory position.

My problem here is, where would the top triple clamp be in relation to the top of the fork tubes from the factory? is it all the way flush, or an inch down or what? anyone who has a non-adjusted front shock able to post a picture or a measurement of distance from the top of the fork tube to the top-side of the upper triple clamp?

oops, its a 2005 fwiw
The fork tube is flush with the top of the triple clamp.
The cap is above the clamp.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
The fork tube is flush with the top of the triple clamp.
The cap is above the clamp.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
^what they said^

btw, if you fill in your profile with your general location....you may find a bunch of local folks who can lend a hand whenever you have other questions or at least get you a cold drink when needed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
^what they said^

btw, if you fill in your profile with your general location....you may find a bunch of local folks who can lend a hand whenever you have other questions or at least get you a cold drink when needed.
I will get right on that thanks lol.

And thanks all for the info on the forks. Time to go slide them back to their original location. I do assume its not a big issues to have the rear in the "low" setting and have the front forks in their factory position? I don't know if that will throw off the geometry of the bike enough to worry about. I don't plan to do any fancy riding on this bike (thats what the r6 is for). I will be just doing forest roads, maybe single tracks, and slabbing on my way to the next forest road.

thanks guys
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
It should be fine with the front and rear slightly off, but it will be a little "chopper-ish".

If you find that the front end washes out (pushes) through corners in the dirt or gravel, you'll want to either slide the forks back up or raise the rear suspension up. When the bike sits high in the front and lower in the back, I notice that it doesnt want to hold a line through the sketchy stuff.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote