User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
New seat ... low, normal, ...?

I am wanting to get a new seat for my dr650. Right now the guy I bought the bike from has the rear suspension in the "low" setting, and has raised the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. I am not exactly sure I plan to keep it like this, however, I do actually like how much better I can reach the ground. Right now I can flat foot one side, and be on the ball of my other foot while sitting at a stop light. I intend to do some touring on this bike (as much dirt as I can, obdr, wabdr, etc) I am torn between getting the standard height seat and leaving the suspension how it is, or getting the low seat and raising the suspension back to stock. I am assuming adding my gear will lower the rear of the bike anyway... I am 5' 7" with like a 29-30" inseam. This is kind of hard to give advice on probably but I guess im just looking for input.

Oh, I am mostly leaning towards seat concepts seats for the most part due to their more affordable price. But not exactly sure which one I want and I don't want to order something and end up being dissatisfied and be stuck with it.

I am also planning to pack as light as possible for the trips I want to go on, so hopefully I wont be adding a ton of weight. I am leaning towards a giant loop bag but that isn't finalized yet.
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,131
The DR is one of the lower dual sports to begin with, so you have any problems at 5'7".

First thing to do would be to verify that you have proper amount of sag (in normal riding gear). You may have preload too tight so bike feels taller than it should be right now.
Once you have figured that out then you can see if you still have enough room to adjust preload for proper sag with your gear. If you do, or if it's close, then your spring is sufficient. But if not then you will have to decide whether to change the spring or just sacrifice proper range of suspension travel.

If you don't figure out those two items then changes to ride height setting will only add more variables into the mix.

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Sag
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #3
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hi, what do you mean by "low" setting?
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,768
I probably need to new thread this pile-on, but I was just looking at the Seat Concepts models for DR, and wondering whether the "Commuter" is effectively lower in the Pilot portion, or actually higher... in other words, did they first cut 'down' the pilot portion in order to create that little pillion, or did the whole seat/foam get raised versus stock? anyone know?

I'm debating whether to go all-custom or get one of the Seat Concepts.. I have the standard SC on my my Weestrom and its pretty good, not perfect. the pillion has a bit of a tilt-forward that is constantly annoying when the bride rides, and the pilot portion is like a cruiser seat... a bit wide for me when alternating between standing and sitting in rough territory. good quality, though. good company

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
I am wanting to get a new seat for my dr650. Right now the guy I bought the bike from has the rear suspension in the "low" setting, and has raised the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. I am not exactly sure I plan to keep it like this, however, I do actually like how much better I can reach the ground. Right now I can flat foot one side, and be on the ball of my other foot while sitting at a stop light. I intend to do some touring on this bike (as much dirt as I can, obdr, wabdr, etc) I am torn between getting the standard height seat and leaving the suspension how it is, or getting the low seat and raising the suspension back to stock. I am assuming adding my gear will lower the rear of the bike anyway... I am 5' 7" with like a 29-30" inseam. This is kind of hard to give advice on probably but I guess im just looking for input.

Oh, I am mostly leaning towards seat concepts seats for the most part due to their more affordable price. But not exactly sure which one I want and I don't want to order something and end up being dissatisfied and be stuck with it.

I am also planning to pack as light as possible for the trips I want to go on, so hopefully I wont be adding a ton of weight. I am leaning towards a giant loop bag but that isn't finalized yet.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
bryantjt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
The rear shock clevis has 2 mounting holes about 1" apart so "stock" and "low" ride height.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
The rear shock clevis has 2 mounting holes about 1" apart so "stock" and "low" ride height.
Cool, I didn't know that. So would the low setting "soften" the spring (like a lowering link) or is the "sag" the same on either setting?
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Hi -

I'm taller - 5'11" or so with 32" inseam. However, I found touring on my DR that seat to foot peg was cramped. I'm not a young guy and have this problem on all my bikes, and a foot peg lowering kit has really helped on the DR as well as on my Wee. On the Wee I found the stock seat still to low and also fitted a DL1000 seat as I have no problem touching the ground on that bike. Anyway, my point is that unless you are an aggressive dirt rider, the low suspension with standard seat may be more comfortable for the long haul unless you have tough knees. In either case get a skidplate. Or also consider lowered pegs.

I also just got a standard SeatConcepts seat for the DR. No long rides yet but so far it seems very comfortable. I got the standard height SC seat and it allows a lot of fore-aft positioning,perhaps even better than the stock seat for some reason, and I didn't think the commuter seat would allow this. Maybe I'm not sinking in and getting locked in place like on the stock saddle.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Oh, one other point. The guy I bought the DR from was quite a bit shorter than me and it had a lowered seat on it. I only lasted a few weeks on that seat and it was unbearably thin and I felt every bump in the road and in the seat pan. I'm sure a SeatConcepts low seat is better, but this one was brutal. The seller had ridden the bike from Colorado to California but he must have been tough.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Cry

I have sat on a 2015 dr650 at the dealership and it had the rear shock in the "low" setting but the front forks i believe were not tampered with (slid up or down). I felt that the bike was a good fit. I could not flat foot but I could have the balls of both feet on the ground which is fine for me. I understand it is supposed to have suspension travel and ground clearance.

I guess i am just wondering how much difference is there for my legs to reach the ground between the stock seat and a seat concepts low seat. I know the seat portion is lower, but it is also firmer and wider which would make me sit higher and my legs have more distance to reach the ground. I don't know how comfortable the seat concepts low seat is but it has to be more comfortable than my newspaper lined cinder block I'm sitting on now.
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote