Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #136
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
My 450X

Hey all,

My bike looks exactly like Daffy67's, it is an '09 with JD jet kit, Twin Air, backfire screen removed, baffle cut in half and screen re-installed..... and for all the good 'ol U.S. of A. folks the piece de resistance...

A FREAKING LICENSE PLATE HERE IN GEORGIA!.... best damn mod ever, and easy as all get out, couldn't frigging believe it.

Just thought I would rub it in... will post pic's later.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #137
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,218
Honda will be selling 2012 450x's !!!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #138
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Setup for tight hare scrambles

Hey guys I need some help.

I am a 250# novice rider doing some hare scrambles here in LA.

I bought the 450x for running this series and as an all around "dirt bike" and maybe to run a few practice days at motocross tracks . My XR6550L while a great machine isn't really suited to full time dirt use.

We run in some really tight stuff and I struggle with the X. It seems like if you are in first gear and breath on the throttle it bites and heads in whatever direction it is pointed regardless of the bars. So in the goat trail stuff I go from left to right and struggle just to hang on. This being said the power sure is nice when you come to a steep sandy hill with no drive beforehand.

I also had a lot of trouble with stalling in tight stuff and bought a rekluse Z start which helped a lot. I was thinking of moving some of the settings to softer engagement but am worried about heat and wear.

The suspension is resprung for my weight and I have all the clickers 5 above full soft. I was thinking about backing off the rear preload all the way to make it really soft in back. Tires at 13 front 12 rear.

Thinking of trying a flywheel weight next since it is relatively cheap and easy.

Some of the other dudes in my class say "get a KTM" or "450 is too big" or "you need a 250 2 stroke". While some of those may be true I do plan to run the bike I have at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #139
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
It seems like if you are in first gear and breath on the throttle it bites and heads in whatever direction it is pointed regardless of the bars.
How slow are you going? Does it seem like your always moving the bars a lot, as in very far one way then very far the other way? Going a little bit faster will help to stabilize the bike and get you into (hopefully) a good RPM range to have useable power but not too much that you can't control the bike.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #140
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
How slow are you going? Does it seem like your always moving the bars a lot, as in very far one way then very far the other way? Going a little bit faster will help to stabilize the bike and get you into (hopefully) a good RPM range to have useable power but not too much that you can't control the bike.
Pretty slow. A couple of places last weekend were barely wider than the bars. No doubt technique has a lot to do with it too. Just looking for it not to hit so hard coming off idle (I do have a jd jet kit).

Thanks
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #141
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Pretty slow. A couple of places last weekend were barely wider than the bars. No doubt technique has a lot to do with it too. Just looking for it not to hit so hard coming off idle (I do have a jd jet kit).

Thanks
It sounds like the same thing I used to battle with. More time in singletrack will get you used to riding in tight stuff and the speed will follow. Im not talking a bunch of speed but once you reach a breaking point (you'll feel it) in speed the bike will stabelize and you won't have to try to maintain balance all the time. Plus the jerky throttle will go away once you start to flow and aren't either "on or off" with the throttle.

What it amounts to is more seat time in the nastiest singletrack you can find.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #142
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
It sounds like the same thing I used to battle with. More time in singletrack will get you used to riding in tight stuff and the speed will follow. Im not talking a bunch of speed but once you reach a breaking point (you'll feel it) in speed the bike will stabelize and you won't have to try to maintain balance all the time. Plus the jerky throttle will go away once you start to flow and aren't either "on or off" with the throttle.

What it amounts to is more seat time in the nastiest singletrack you can find.
Thanks for the advice. I kinda thought that had alot to do with it. Ive felt that flow on sections that were a little more open. One hare scramble my lap times actually went down throughout the 1.5 hrs as I was getting better with the course (even though I know fatigue was setting in).

I'll keep it up. Now if I can only keep from getting run over by the expert class guys coming up behind me....

Later,
Andy
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #143
Skinsfan6
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Do any of you have a tach and speedo on your 450X? My dad has an 05 he doesn't ride anymore that I really want put plates on, but I'm worried about highway rpms. So can anyone tell me rpms at 60? Or if anyone has a speedo and no tach...what speed are you comfortable cruising at in fifth for long periods of time?

Thanks in advance.
Skinsfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #144
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 864
Andy,

What gearing are you using. In the tight stuff you need a pretty good sized sprocket on the back (at least a 51) and a 13 on the front.

Also, set your sag by the book and make sure you have the right spring. Backing down the preload to make it softer will make things a ton worse for handling. You'll have a crazy hard time making it turn in the tight.

Enjoy
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #145
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Andy,

What gearing are you using. In the tight stuff you need a pretty good sized sprocket on the back (at least a 51) and a 13 on the front.

Also, set your sag by the book and make sure you have the right spring. Backing down the preload to make it softer will make things a ton worse for handling. You'll have a crazy hard time making it turn in the tight.

Enjoy
I did switch to a 12t front (from stock 13) with the stock rear (to avoid chain length issues).

The spring was sized by cannon racecraft and I did set the sag by the book.

The bike still seems to beat me in the butt alot but I think I spend alot more time on the seat than on the pegs as I get tired toward the end of the main.

I'll keep plugging away at it...

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #146
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Oddometer: 174
CRF450X Photos

Hey Guys Keep sending in those photos of your CRF!!! We need to keep this thread going. Still looking for a Factory Honda speedo for my 450X. Any one out there know where to pick one up?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #147
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot650l View Post
Hey Guys Keep sending in those photos of your CRF!!! We need to keep this thread going. Still looking for a Factory Honda speedo for my 450X. Any one out there know where to pick one up?
I've got 1 thats mint, PM me if interested, have pics of it also.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #148
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

CRF Speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I've got 1 thats mint, PM me if interested, have pics of it also.
Send Me some pics, Where in Texas are you from. I am working in MT Pleasant.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #149
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot650l View Post
Send Me some pics, Where in Texas are you from. I am working in MT Pleasant.
I'm in Galveston, check it out

also , If someone is looking for a nice new mint pristine rear assy , for a spare , check this baby out , off an 09

have some other mint stuff also .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #150
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Thats Not A Speedometer!!!

Thats the stock odometer. I want the Digital Speedometer that comes one the Austalian Bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I'm in Galveston, check it out

also , If someone is looking for a nice new mint pristine rear assy , for a spare , check this baby out , off an 09

have some other mint stuff also .