User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Mini Trail OP
n같b

Oddometer: 2,217
No mod Carbon Fiber Fairing for my KTM 690 Enduro R

Rally fairings serve some purpose and look cool. I have been itching for a rally style fairing for my 2009 Enduro R ever since I got it. I would have had a tough decision for me if there had been a 690 adventure. On the one hand I want a big dirtbike but it is nice huddling behind the adventure fairing. I have been finding myself on more highways on my 690 and decided to pull the trigger. I like the Rally Raid tank and fairing kit but it is hopelessly expensinve and requires moving a bunch of stuff around on the bike. I came accross Speed Daddy's thread where he bought a fairing and made his own mounts http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580492. I decided to do the same. Then I stumbled accross a series of threads by ebrabaek where he made parts for his BMW from carbon fiber in his garage. My favorites are the panniers http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650175 and the fairing http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615213. I found all of them to be instructive and motivational if only I could score the time maybe I could put together my own fairing, mounts and all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had back surgery on May, 13 to correct a herniated disc at L5-S1 and found myself with 4 weeks of full dissabilty. After 10 days I was able to wobble out to my detached shed/garage and take start taking things off the bike. I have never had this bike apart so I didn't really know how it goes together.

With the headlight mask gone you can see the beautiful orange frame.

The coolant tank mounts were very interesting. I better understood how Speed Daddy's mounts worked but I thought that I could use the bolt holes rather than running a pinch bolt between them.

That's all I could stand. There were drugs and pain involved and progress started slowly.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 02:03 PM
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Mini Trail OP
n같b

I have a pretty lofty goal of making the fairing, subframe and subframe mounts of carbon fiber. I have never worked with CF or made anything from fiberglass. I did build model airplanes and cars and such years ago so I have some experience and even the basic tools left over to fabricate the molds. I figure that if they don't work I will fall back on making the mount and subframe from aluminum but surely I can pull some kind of fairing together.

The next day, 5-24, I went back out and made a little more progress. I mocked up the fairing mounts using some aluminum from a disposable baking pan. The aluminum is easy to form and cuts with scissors.

I had a bit of trouble figuring out how the final product would work so I produced this draft.

And mocked it up with some corrugated foam board and 6mm bolts.

You can see where the mounts are tied into the coolant tank mount bolts.

I also thought it would be a good idea to wrap the mount around the frame rail so I added some material in the form of duct tape.

Then I hammered the foil flat and traced them onto some thicker 1mm aluminum.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Mini Trail OP
n같b

5-25-11
I cut the thicker aluminum and set out to form it around the bolt holes and frame rails. I used a little hardwood spar from my model airplane days to help pull it together but it was hard making the complex shapes and getting the radii correct.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Mini Trail OP
n같b

5-26-11
I'm lucky if I can work more than a couple of hours a day on this, I get tired so fast still, but I focused moe on making progress knowing that my wife would be home on the weekend and want me to rest and excersize not work.

It's hard to see in this picture that the white material is 4 or 5 layers of plastic that was cut from window blind material that we had left over from a remodel. It worked very well for a lot of applications and I used it a lot on this project.

And here is the beginning of the fairing all mounted up.

I have never seen a rally bike in the real and have never owned any bike with a fixed fairing so I studied a lot of pictures and figured out about where the headlight should be and estimated the other dimensions from there.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Mini Trail OP
n같b

5-27-11
My first time driving since April. I met some friends for lunch then went to the hardware store on the way home. I picked up a giant sheet of blue insulation foam, a package of white foam some brushed, acetone and contact cement. I have never used contact cement but I was led to believe it was what I needed to glued the foam together. I found it to be more soupy than I expected and slow to dry.

You can see the fairing in there right?

By klatubaradanikto at 2011-07-1616

But filling in the rest was much harder than I expected. This is actually the second try. I tore it all off and started over with just the front board remaining.

5-28-11
Now it is coming along. I had to add a buch of bracing to firm it up.

By klatubaradanikto at 2011-07-16

I added wedges of foam in the gap to be able to form it. If I was to do it over again I would not have glued the boards at an angl to begin with but build the whole thing up and cut the shape out of the built up foam block.

5-29-11
Every time I do something I have to wait hours for the contact cement to dry. I added material to the front so I would have something to sculpt from.

And a little on the sides.

Beginning to shape the original pieces.

5-30-11
And it is slowly taking shape. OK some of it is taking shape in my mind still.

I had a great idea to fill the gaps in the foam with drywall spackle. I am still using this remodelling our bedroom and I have plenty of it and plenty of experience sanding it. I thougt it would work well filling gaps and shaping the fairing.

5-31-11
When I got up in the morning, it had tipped over but luckily it was fairly dry. I blame the horse. The drywall mud is very heavy compared to the foam.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 12:07 AM
Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
Mini Trail OP
n같b

6-3-11
I have been busy preparing for my daughter's birthday party at my mother's house and am work has slowed on what has become known around the house as "My Project".

I found this wood glue and found it as strong as the contact cement and much better at filling gaps but still slow to dry.

The drywall mud turned out to be nowhere near as flexible as the foam. It didn't like being piled so high to smooth out the different layers either.

6-6-11
My Carbon Fiber cloth has arrived. I held off a long time in ordering the cloth and the Epoxy until I was sure I would see this project through. The carbon fiber cloth came amazingly well packed. the roll is wrapped in paper, then bubble wrap then inside a big box.

I cut a template from this paper to transfer to the cloth.

I traced the template onto the cloth and traced it with chalk. This was a mistake. Even the relatively soft chalk dug into and tore the carbon fiber weave. The threads are very strong but the weave is very fragile.

erabaek said you could use play doh as a filler but you can't. It doesn't sand, cut or ever get smooth. Anyway the drywall mud was sanded and made an enormous mess on my back porch and raised my wife's ire when all that white dust got on her plants.

So it's back to more spackle.

I added a bunch more bracing. Sanding this mess caused a lot of stress to the structure and it was falling apart. Since the wood glue worked out well, I dug into my wife's old craft stuff and pulled out a couple of glue guns. I laid the glue on thick and really stiffened up the buck.

6-7-11 The project is sanded and back on the bike but rough and pitted.

So it's back in the house for more mud. It is really getting hot outside like tripple digit hot so working inside is not a terrible thing. On the other hand I am getting very tired of sculpting. I send an email to check on the wherabouts of my epoxy and it hasn't shipped because I haven't paid for it. I could swear that I submitted a credit card number on checkout... Now I have a week to wait.

6-8-11 More Sanding and Spakling. I am very tired of this part. The drywall mud was a bad idea. It is not flexible enough, it chips and takes too long to dry. I should have built a huge block of foam and just sanded out the fairing.

6-9-11 More of the same.

Possibly the last coat. The problem is that I have no idea how smooth this actually has to be. I would think it could get away with a fairly rough finish if it is going to be covered in 4-5 layers of cloth and epoxy but I just don't know.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
ADVTuga
Paulo Lana

Oddometer: 298
Damn
Keep it coming
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Mini Trail OP
n같b

6-15-11
My chemicals have finally arrived but I have to start back to work half days so progress will slow.

I did the first run of all the processes outside in case they made noxious odor or fumes. Probably the only chemical that made any odor was the wax and it smelled like wax paste and not strong at all.

I pulled the parts from the bike and taped over the holes with electric tape.

Then I rubbed in 5 coats of mold release wax. Probably overkill.

Next was this mold release film that goes on as a liquid. I could have sprayed it but I would have to find my airbrush stuff and I just put it on with a foam brush. It ran in some places and built up along the edges.

6-16-11
The parts are dry. These pictures are good and show the wax and film well.

I used the original foil pieces as templates for the Carbon Fiber cloth. I lost one in the garage and cut a new one from aluminum foil.

My first experience with the cloth. It is very hard to work with. The edges just fall apart.

The stray strands go everywhere and it is hard to keep them from finding their way back into the work.

I'm finally into the chemicals. The cups weigh .3 oz so I have to do a bunch of math to get 2:1 part A to B.

I mixed the components outside but there was no real smell or fumes.

A lot of stuff happens once the chemicals are mixed. I have on rubber gloves and use a brush to apply the epoxy and push it into the cloth and around the mold with my gloved fingers. As the epoxy stiffens and gets more tacky the stray strands stick to the gloves and to the work and pull more strands from the edges. I can't take pictures of any of this and frankly it is such a cluster it's probably a good thing.

Here are the parts setting up.

The pics are blurry and it is hard to tell what you are looking at anyway.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Mini Trail OP
n같b

That was two layers of cloth by the way.

6-17-11
My very first Carbon Fiber layup parts.

A view from the backside of the mold.

At some point I added the paper clip to pull the part down to where the screw will go. It is a pretty complex curve and it must have worked because I used it again.

These wings that go around the frame are a big added hassle. They stretch the cloth too far and I couldn't maintain the shape.

So this one gets chopped.

Another batch of epoxy for two more layers of cloth.

It didn't get any easier. I think one of these got 3 layers of cloth here but I can't tell which one.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Mini Trail OP
n같b

6-19-11
I left for a weekend trip the instant I was done with the parts and returned to these new layups.

Remember what I said about the stray strands getting everywhere.

After a rough trim.

It is building up nicely but I need to do a better job of holding the cloth and epoxy down.

Implements of destruction.

A test assembly.

And two more layers of cloth.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Mini Trail OP
n같b

6-20-11
Another rough trim.

I drilled the holes for the right mount on the drill press then used a chisel to pop one of the parts off. It separated easily.

The film seems to stick to the work not the mold.

Test fitting the left mount. The holes are in the right places.

These screws are still hard to start and line up because it is tough to get tools in there.

I'm hoping that I have built up at least 3mm or 1/8" of carbon fiber.

So it's back to the epoxy.

I bought some plasticine knockoff from Walmart to fill the holes. It worked much better than the Play Doh.

Then it's at least two more layers of cloth. I have lost count.

6-21-11
Light at the end of this tunnel.

The clay worked.

This section where the subframe will mount needs to be 6mm-1/4".

I can't believe I added more layers.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
How bad does your wife hate you right now??

I did some work with cf a while ago and ended up taking the door down from my shop. Free glass table!!! Sheets came out very flat.

Now back to regular programming.
08 950SE - sold
09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Mini Trail OP
n같b

My wife has been cool about the whole thing (I did just have back surgery after all) although she advised me several times to "just buy one". When I was still working in the house the cloth was everywhere like we had a shedding carbon fiber dog. I was folding laundry and there was a tuft in my daughter's shirt pocket. It was also in the bed sheets pretty constantly for a while.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
Mini Trail OP
n같b

6-22-11
Getting Closer

I am satisfied with the thickness of the mounts but I need to build up the flange where the subframe will bolt. I cut out six small pieces and clamped them down with a piece of the window blind to make it flat. I don't know why I didn't thing of doing that before but it worked great. I did wax and add mold release to the plastic first.

I spent a lot of time haunting Walmart waiting on prescriptions so most of the supplies I used came from there. This bag of 16 clamps was about $7. I added more resin to the left side mount here too.

Carbon fiber cloth is everywhere in the house. Here is a bit in the matress linnens.

6-23-11

6 more pieces for the flange

Left side mount sanded and some epoxy dropped in to fill gaps between the layers.

The next six layers mounted up on the flange. It takes a long time to build up thickness.

So I cut up 6 more pieces for an ambtious 12 layer curing.

6-24-11
What 12 layers looks like.

I think I said I wanted the flange around 1/4" earlier, but I want it about 1/2" so it is still a little small but I have a plan.

I don't have any pictures of the test fitting apparently but I spent a lot of time doing it.

I thought I might be able to retain the stock speed nuts and 4mm bolts for the tops of the mounts but the bolts weren't even long enough to go through the carbon fiber mounts. I needed to hang 6mm nuts in space and I needed to come up with something to hang them there with. I tried using the foam board but it was too soft. I couldn't think of anything flexible enogh to push into the space but firm enough to keep the nut from spinning. I decided to make a mold and duplicate the foam pieces in epoxy.

It wasn't a great solution and I lost sleep over it.

But on 6-25-11 I had the solution. Much simpler than the molded pieces.
I cut little strips of the window blind material, drilled a hole and pressed in a nut.

That was a lot of writing to obsfucate something I was trying to explain clearly. here is a picture of the subframe mount and the nut-holding plastic suspending the nut up in the frame. Clear as mud?

The molded pieces came out OK but I never even tried to use them.
[IMG=http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1409/2024832.jpg][/IMG]

The subframe mounts mounted to the frame but not through-bolted.

Getting the fairing ready to cover in carbon fiber.

The headlight hole is covered in masking tape which barely stuck and then clear packing tape which held much better.

I originally planned to do all the work with the fairing plug mounted to the bike but I figured out there wasn't enough room to work and I made this stand to work in my MX stand.

The plug waxed and mold released. I was really hoping to keep the styrofoam plug but I doubted I ever would.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 03:12 PM
Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Mini Trail OP
n같b

Cutting out the cloth turned out to be harder than I would have guessed. The weave in the cloth is allows it to stretch and shrink. When I pick up the cloth it stretches and becomes too long and won't cover the sides. When I stretch it around the sides it won't cover the top.

I mix up a lot of resin.

See what I mean about it stretching? It looks like I only put on one layer.

4-26-11
Layer 2 Still a pain.

I used a little foam rolller this time to lay out the epoxy. It didn't really go all that well. I let it cure in the sun to speed up the process.

I cut the cloth in 3 pieces to hopefully make it easier and did two more layers.

I have a hunch this is layer #4. I should leave more clues for future me.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 03:26 PM