User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
The KTM 200 thread

So whats the thought on this bike? Just bought one to take some of the heat off my 300. I rode a 07 XC a bit and really liked it, but always perfered my 300xcw for the wider ratio transmission. I know how well the xc goes, what can you share with me on the 2014 XCW? I am hoping the wide ratio transmission will be better between sections than the XC and I am hoping it is not too picky with the jetting when going from 7000 to 13,000 feet.

Thanks
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,438
all i can tell 'ya is that i want one!...
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,708

Congrats!!!

I think that this bike could be the ultimate technical weapon being sold right now. I will be curious how it handles high altitudes and larger riders.

I think at 185#, I may be too big for one but would certainly like to ride a well set up one to see. Damn KTM, they have way too many great bikes now.

Whoda thought that we needed an electric start 2T 200?
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I'm 230 and ride at 7000 feet plus - I put a couple hundred miles on a 07 XC and never felt like it did not have the power I needed. Did not really like the transmission, and the bike needed to be set up for my weight, but it is just a fun single track bike. I know the numbers, but it feels so much lighter than my 300

Setting this one up right from the start with correct springs and good skid plate/pipe guard - too bad we have a foot of snow here right now.

I'm gonna have to just look at this thing until march or so
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,540
I spent a little time on a 07 200 XC also. It did feel a lot lighter then my
300. It was set up for the desert, 4k - 6k elevation and ran fine. It was a
little like riding a 125 in the way that you have to shift a lot, and work the clutch a little more than the 300. I have become rather lazy when it comes to shifting. It had all the power I needed even in the dez. I am 175 lbs ready to ride.

I took it up to elevation once. From 8k to 10k. It was not jetted properly and was hard for me to ride in the technical stuff. You had to keep it on the pipe for power, which was a little to fast for me. I had to trade bikes with another rider who was a lot more skilled than me.

I agree if the 200 XCW, is set up properly for elevation, it could very well be the best technical bike out there. I think the 200's are just a blast to ride. I have been seriously considering a YZ125, or 150SX/XC, just because of how lite they are.

Congrads on the bike.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
I spent a little time on a 07 200 XC also. It did feel a lot lighter then my
300. It was set up for the desert, 4k - 6k elevation and ran fine. It was a
little like riding a 125 in the way that you have to shift a lot, and work the clutch a little more than the 300. I have become rather lazy when it comes to shifting. It had all the power I needed even in the dez. I am 175 lbs ready to ride.

I took it up to elevation once. From 8k to 10k. It was not jetted properly and was hard for me to ride in the technical stuff. You had to keep it on the pipe for power, which was a little to fast for me. I had to trade bikes with another rider who was a lot more skilled than me.

I agree if the 200 XCW, is set up properly for elevation, it could very well be the best technical bike out there. I think the 200's are just a blast to ride. I have been seriously considering a YZ125, or 150SX/XC, just because of how lite they are.

Congrads on the bike.
Ive had an 01 200MXC,a 2004 200 EXC,and a 2009 200XCW. To me,it feels like as the 200's get newer they get more top end and less low end,they still fly through the woods but the 09 I had was a revver,I was perpetually shifting it to get it up steep hills.
I put in new piston,new reeds,jetted it to perfection and finally figured out that was how it was going to run. I definitly remember the older 200's chugging better up the steep stuff.

I also tried an 05 YZ125 and man was it a blast! You know on those the clutch finger will be busy but they are like riding a mt bike with good suspension in the woods.Tiny.

I ended up with a 2014 300XCW,it works just fine.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,540
Yea, I 'am thinking about selling my magical KX500, for a YZ125.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
It seems like everyone talks up either the KTM 200 or the 300. Is there a reason that the 250 is under-appreciated? Or maybe just my perception?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,606
i know 2 people with 250's, i think they're great. i used to have a 200xc-w, i thought it was a really fun bike.

the 250's have more torque for sure, but i preferred the 200's midrange. they "feel" lighter. didn't seem to spin the rear as much in technical riding.

malcolm smith once said that "all the 300 does better than the 250 is vibrate". i think it's a case of "more is better".

i rode an older (97?) 300, and it was damn near impossible to ride on anything technical. it would just spin the tire as soon as the throttle was open. imho.

keep in mind that all these motors have adjustable power valves, which you can go from mild to wild pretty easily!

edit: pics always good

that said, my next "dirt only" bike will be a trials bike with a seat tank. for the really burly stuff.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300 View Post
So whats the thought on this bike? Just bought one to take some of the heat off my 300. I rode a 07 XC a bit and really liked it, but always perfered my 300xcw for the wider ratio transmission. I know how well the xc goes, what can you share with me on the 2014 XCW? I am hoping the wide ratio transmission will be better between sections than the XC and I am hoping it is not too picky with the jetting when going from 7000 to 13,000 feet.

Thanks

The 200 will be a lot less picky on jetting then a 250/300.
Hold out for W.More room to find and tune your gearing.
I always try to have atleast one 200 around,my hands down favorite dirt bike of all time.

I got a 250XC too.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Ptjeep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Just wanted to bump this thread since i just picked up a '07 200 xcw. I wished i would have tested one of these little bikes before i bought my 300, now i have to go to the trouble of selling my 300. Oh well!
Ptjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I just got one.

Was wondering what folks thoughts were on the Trail Tech headlight and Vapor computer. I see they have 200 specific parts. Is this stuff really plug and play? The goal is to make it street legal here in NH (just so I can get to and connect trails w/o a trailer), which will obviously require a horn, brake light switch, battery(to keep the light on), and signals. Should I also get the 100W stator?
I've ridden the thing only a few times (F'IN AWESOME), once to test it before buying and the other times on my snowy driveway. I can't wait for spring!
It's a 2009 XC-W.
Any one else make one street legal?
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Ptjeep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Any of you 200 owners experience bad vibrations in the bars? Mine seems to vibrate more than my 300. I've got a few tricks to try to hopefully solve the problem though.
Ptjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,543
Bump!
I'm joining the 200 club on Tuesday! Actually I bought a 2014 150xc but the dealer just finished up my 200 conversion. No e-start needed here and therefore no extra 11 pounds... I want the lightest, best handling woods-weapon I can get with enough power to handle high altitude here in Colorado! To convert the 150 to a 200 takes a different crank, piston, cylinder, and power valve parts. Can't wait to ride it but we just got 2 feet of snow since I put in the order to do the conversion!
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Was wondering what folks thoughts were on the Trail Tech headlight and Vapor computer. I see they have 200 specific parts. Is this stuff really plug and play? The goal is to make it street legal here in NH (just so I can get to and connect trails w/o a trailer), which will obviously require a horn, brake light switch, battery(to keep the light on), and signals. Should I also get the 100W stator?
I've ridden the thing only a few times (F'IN AWESOME), once to test it before buying and the other times on my snowy driveway. I can't wait for spring!
It's a 2009 XC-W.
Any one else make one street legal?
Mine has a full Baja Designs dual sport kit and everything works well enough to pass inspection here. The 35/35 headlight isn't exactly a flame thrower but it does the job. Don't know about the TT lights but the BD kit is as nice as any oem setup.

I am not sure why you would want the Vapor. To me, the tach would be useless. I went with the Endurance for the trip odometers and microscopic size. Again, it works as advertised. My brake already had a hole for the pickup.

With that small headlight and led tailight I am OK with the stock MXC stator. But more juice is never a bad thing.