User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #166
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Question Any special tool for the oil filter

This weekend I'm going to change the oil for the first time on my 2006 640 Adv. The previous ones has been done by the dealer.

However, my bike currently has a KTM brand oil filter, and I wonder if I need an special tool to remove it, or just will come off manually?

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #167
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane
This weekend I'm going to change the oil for the first time on my 2006 640 Adv. The previous ones has been done by the dealer.

However, my bike currently has a KTM brand oil filter, and I wonder if I need an special tool to remove it, or just will come off manually?

Regards,
Mane
unless the gorilla at the shop screwed the last one on, it should unscrew manually....

try wrapping a strip of rag around the back of the filter and at the front (where you can get at the two loose ends) twitch them together with a screwdriver so it binds up around the filter... and unscrew. It may take several bites to get it finger loose...

Failing that, stab it with a screw driver and unscrew it that way.... messy, but it's dead anyway

ps. don't overtorque the 2 sump plugs.... I got to get the shop to fix mine!(the M12 with magnet)
Last oil change at the shop, the gorilla twisted the threads out and then did a shitty helicoil installation...

Just imagine doing an oil change somewhere remote... and finding the plug has been stripped out...
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #168
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thank you guys!

Braap! Thank you very much for the tip on removing the oil filter! (I just stabbed a screw driver on it! It was death anyway right? )

And thank you very much to Creeper and MeatPopsicle for this tutorial! Getting me to accomplish this task by myself, certainly is a great credit to your writing abilities.

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #169
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Thanks for this tutorial. I just finished my first oil change on my '07 640...a little messier than I had hoped (I need a smaller tapered plug).

After I took the bike for a little warm-up spin after the oil change, I noticed some oil seeping from the frame filler bolt. I hadn't replaced the crush washer. Got a new crush washer, unthreaded the bolt to replace it and some oil came out. Is this normal or would it be a sign of an overfilled frame (I put 600ml in)? Also, any chance this could create air in the frame, so that I would need to burp it all over again?

As with most things LC4 on this site, this has probably been answered before. I didn't find reference to this in any searches.

Thanks.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #170
jocker-t
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cruscial mistake..help..

Hi everyone..Im from greece,so sorry for my english.So here i go..I Have a problem,and i m sure you know how to help me..I Tried changing oil WITHOUT having read ur Guide..So i made a cruscial mistake..I had removed the allen plug,under the cranckase.You see,in my bike(duke 98)it s not an allen plug.It s a drain plug(if thats how its called).I mean it has 3 similar plugs under the cranckase..So the case is ,NOW WHat can i do?how can i refill what i had emptyied?KTM manual refers it as a by-pass valve..
Since the day i made that mistake,oil cant elevate through the frame..It seems to have lost its "pressure"so it can work.
PLEASE HELP ME>>>
My question is simple..
What do you do,if u remove the "allen"-by-pass plug????
jocker-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #171
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
Got a new crush washer, unthreaded the bolt to replace it and some oil came out. Is this normal or would it be a sign of an overfilled frame (I put 600ml in)? Also, any chance this could create air in the frame, so that I would need to burp it all over again?
You're OK... the idea is that the air is bleed from the frame and filter area so that air doesn't enter the pressurized part of the system... not so much that the entire frame from bottom to top be solid with oil.
A bit of air space above the filler is what's suppose to be there... the oil level fluctuates under RPM as feed and return volumes vary slightly.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocker-t
Hi everyone..Im from greece,so sorry for my english.So here i go..I Have a problem,and i m sure you know how to help me..I Tried changing oil WITHOUT having read ur Guide..So i made a cruscial mistake..I had removed the allen plug,under the cranckase.You see,in my bike(duke 98)it s not an allen plug.It s a drain plug(if thats how its called).I mean it has 3 similar plugs under the cranckase..So the case is ,NOW WHat can i do?how can i refill what i had emptyied?KTM manual refers it as a by-pass valve..
Since the day i made that mistake,oil cant elevate through the frame..It seems to have lost its "pressure"so it can work.
PLEASE HELP ME>>>
My question is simple..
What do you do,if u remove the "allen"-by-pass plug????
The bypass valve is installed with the closed end facing up into the engine, followed by the spring and the cap "drain" plug. See images for assistance and note the length/pressure information in the right column.

C
Old 10-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #172
jocker-t
n00b

Thank you for answering in first place,but it really messed me up..i mean,I told u I had completely removed that plug(allen plug aka by-pass valve).And put it back to its place..What should i do now?I also told u there is no oil coming up to the frame.Do u think its a pressure matter?Should i loosen up the allen plug?see if it releases some oil?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #173
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Thank you for answering in first place,but it really messed me up..i mean,I told u I had completely removed that plug(allen plug aka by-pass valve).And put it back to its place..What should i do now?I also told u there is no oil coming up to the frame.Do u think its a pressure matter?Should i loosen up the allen plug?see if it releases some oil?
Because you put the plug back in doesn't mean you did it correctly... others have installed the parts incorrectly, so that was the first concern to verify.

I don't know you... I don't know your abilities or knowledge, so forgive me if I place you in the lowest common denominator until proven otherwise.
Over 5000 miles of separation precludes my ability to read your mind or diagnose your bike personally.

The language difference creates the impression that you are not mechanically inclined and can't think in a straight line... in those terms.
This may be the furthest thing from the truth... so apologies if I overstate the obvious.
Your English is much better than my Greek... considering I don't speak any Greek.

The bypass valve prevents drain-back of oil from the feed pump and engine oil filter when the engine is not running.
See the schematic.

The path from the feed pump goes thru the engine filter then on to the piston and crankpin oil jets... and the frame.
For no oil to be pumped to the frame, you'd have to have one of the following conditions:

1. Engine oil filter plugged.
2. Bypass valve incorrectly installed.
3. Engine to frame oil line 'IN' is pinched, blocked or plugged.
4. Feed pump has failed.
5. Frame blockage or pressure exceeding that of feed pressure.
6. Other form of restriction or component failure not readily apparent.

There are any number of variables for the above, but as I don't know what else you did, I'm limiting my comments.
There might be other causes, but those are the ones that come easily to mind.

Best 'O luck,
C
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #174
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Thanks for the reply Creeper. I took it for a long ride today and all seems good.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #175
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
Thanks for the reply Creeper. I took it for a long ride today and all seems good.
No problem... all's well that ends well.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #176
jocker-t
n00b

Well in case i have installed the by-pass valve incorectly,Is there anything i can do now???Or even try??
Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #177
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Well in case i have installed the by-pass valve incorectly,Is there anything i can do now???Or even try??
You could always take the bypass valve back out and reinstall it according to creeper's instructions. Then you would know, better, eh?

Hope I am not stepping on toes here.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #178
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,203
Quote:
For the sake of knowing all is done properly, I'd suggest re-doing the oil change. It's a pain in the rump, but so is worrying your motor is gonna go kaplooy.

You should definitely pull the by-pass valve and re-install it so you know, for sure, the thing is in there right.

Then, make sure to properly bleed the frame tube.

Visually inspect all the oil lines while you are up close and the body panels are off.

If you still have an issue with oil circulation, start looking at the rest of Creeper's list of "may-be's".

Good luck.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #179
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Just got a 2001 lc4 E.

Speaking about the filters? Where is a good place to order them? or do i need to travel 60 miles to the KTm shop?
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #180
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapp555
Just got a 2001 lc4 E.

Speaking about the filters? Where is a good place to order them? or do i need to travel 60 miles to the KTm shop?
He didn't say BEST place...

Here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=K%26N...ient=firefox-a

http://www.google.com/products?q=K%2...num=1&ct=title

usual internet ordering guidance applies.

other:
http://www.sudco.com/ktmoilfilter.html

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote