Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2004, 02:35 PM   #16
Reformed DucFlogger
Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer: 1,445
Dead-Dino-Goo Change

Nicely done -- and illustrated.

Now to convince the hardware store you're not rebuilding your backyard eggnog-fortifier in time for the pending holiday silly season.

The Royal Canuckistan Federales have no sense of humor when it comes to the issues of untaxed hooch.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:42 PM   #17
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed DucFlogger
The Royal Canuckistan Federales have no sense of humor when it comes to the issues of untaxed hooch.
RCMP has no sense of fun at all... other than the red coats of course.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:05 AM   #18
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Thanks Chris! I notice an "improvement" our Austrian friends made to the frame. The frame rail at the internal oil filter looks to be a welded in casting of some sort. You have heaps of clearance for getting the filter cover out. On my bike, the frame tube is merely ovalized a bit, and that filter is a real beyotch to change. Much easier now that I added the gasket-type cover, as I was rolling & pinching o-rings regularly. Adhesive would have helped. Anyway, another reason to be self-gratified to own an '03...even if the 1999s & 2000s are more visually appealing What year did this frame change take place? Running change?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:03 AM   #19
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
It is interesting how KTM has a series of running changes to address the issues associated with oil changes on these beasts, like the mods to the frame and different gasket. I now understand why there is such variation in people's experiences - I thought it was mostly individual's particular tolerance for mechanical difficulty, but it is more variation in each bike.

Mine is an 00 and it has the "oval" frame tube which is a tight clearance, AND it has the crappy o-ring seal. Because of both, I find it makes a lot more sense just to remove the banjos completely, so that all I'm doing when I put the cover on is placing the filter in the recess, fishing the cover into the slot, and then pushing it down carefully, keeping the cover as perpendicular to the mating surface as I can. But I can see if you had a little more clearance and weren't so worried about pinching the o-ring, that leaving the banjos on would be fine.

Another tip on the o-ring: make sure the groove it fits into is clear of debris (or gasket sealer if someone PO has mistakedly used same). Only then will the o-ring fit down into the groove and be held down by the little nubs in the groove designed to keep it in place. Having the o-ring stay in place is critical to avoiding pinching it. If you pinch it, you're toast.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #20
creeper OP
Still alive...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the "particulars" fo your frame variations and "tribulations".
As you covered the change details of your frame style pretty well, hope you don't mind if I insert it into the guide. I'll try and do it this evening.

Creep
Old 10-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #21
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Very nice Creep As I ride my bike a lot, I've been down this road many times and it get's easier every time. I'm almost due for another and figured since Loaded dropped the ball, I would do the oil change tech report, but you beat me to it. Thanks for doing all the hard work.

By the way, mines an 01 and has oval frame and O ring. I must remove my banjo fittings to remove and replace the lower filter.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 AM   #22
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Very nice Creep As I ride my bike a lot, I've been down this road many times and it get's easier every time. I'm almost due for another and figured since Loaded dropped the ball, I would do the oil change tech report, but you beat me to it. Thanks for doing all the hard work.

By the way, mines an 01 and has oval frame and O ring. I must remove my banjo fittings to remove and replace the lower filter.
Variance info to be inserted tonight (cause I need a bit of time to write it, rather than just rip off Mark verbatum).

I'll highlight it to show it as a revision.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #23
creeper OP
Still alive...

I've updated the guide to include the running changes and "variable" service procedures based on input from members previous posts. They are highlighted in what else... KTM orange!
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 AM   #24
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Creep. you're free to use anything you like - I just wish I could give you some photos of the earlier bikes, but my lift is occupied by a broken BMW and I'm too lazy to do an oil change right now on the LC4 sans lift. Getting old.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 AM   #25
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Creep. you're free to use anything you like - I just wish I could give you some photos of the earlier bikes, but my lift is occupied by a broken BMW and I'm too lazy to do an oil change right now on the LC4 sans lift. Getting old.

- Mark
Standing in the upright position to service a motorcycle is a wonderful habit to get into, and a very difficult one to get out of.
A photo of a pre '03 frame/filter area would be a nice addition to the guide, should someone decide to get down on all fours and take a shot.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:21 AM   #26
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Very nice. The revision's make your tech report even better. Keep up the good work.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 10-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #27
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Very nice. The revision's make your tech report even better. Keep up the good work.
All the info, all the time...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #28
Kuhndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Burp Tool

I just purchased an LC-4 Dual Sport, and I was reading the manual on this astoundingly complicated procedure. According to Mattinghoffen the bike should come with a 'Burp Tool'. Is this only in Europe? Does the importer have a pile of these he's hoarding waiting to sell to us? Just curious if anyone has received said tool in thier tool kit.

On the subject of running KTM changes. A good friend of mine used to do a lot of Desert and Enduro racing 80s - 90s. Some times he would have 2 of the same model bike. One from the very beginning of the season and one from late season. Castings would change, hubs, handle bars, all sorts of stuff. I think it's a long standing tradition of continuous improvement.

Thanks for the very complete post!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #29
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_No1
I just purchased an LC-4 Dual Sport, and I was reading the manual on this astoundingly complicated procedure. According to Mattinghoffen the bike should come with a 'Burp Tool'. Is this only in Europe? Does the importer have a pile of these he's hoarding waiting to sell to us? Just curious if anyone has received said tool in thier tool kit.

On the subject of running KTM changes. A good friend of mine used to do a lot of Desert and Enduro racing 80s - 90s. Some times he would have 2 of the same model bike. One from the very beginning of the season and one from late season. Castings would change, hubs, handle bars, all sorts of stuff. I think it's a long standing tradition of continuous improvement.

Thanks for the very complete post!
The "Burp Tool" would have been included in the tool kit when new. It consists of a fitting to insert in an oil bottle cap and a length of hose. It's very simple, but it works.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 10-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #30
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Creep - I'll be your Huckleberry if you can stand the mess that is my ride at the moment - been riding too much!

Perhaps you could either tell me exactly what you want framed or post a similar photo from your own bike?

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Standing in the upright position to service a motorcycle is a wonderful habit to get into, and a very difficult one to get out of.
A photo of a pre '03 frame/filter area would be a nice addition to the guide, should someone decide to get down on all fours and take a shot.