User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #91
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs

..........The engine manual says the oil capacity on a LC4 Adventure R is 2.1 litres..........

OK here is my dumbass question of the day ...(yes I know the manual is all wanky and inconsitant)

The back chart (capacities) say 2.1

The directions for oil change says ... 1.3 + .6 = 1.9

Creepsky agrees w/ 1.9 and that seems to get my dipstick about right ... so thats what I use.

As long as its in a good place on the dipstick I am happy.

Here is the dumbass question ... which I have been holding off for a very long time.

I also have a RFS ... which "many people" say is a time bomb and needs its oil changed every 10 hour ... filters every other change.

I run my LC4 3000 miles (18,000 current) between changes. My RFS has 2000 miles and I have changed the oil a million times.

It holds 1.3 liters of oil. Is that .6l really that big of a deal ???? I would understand the arguement if it doubled the capacity, but is does NOT.

Yes I know the RFS is a higher strung engine ... only talking about oil capacity here.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #92
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
The back chart (capacities) say 2.1

The directions for oil change says ... 1.3 + .6 = 1.9

Creepsky agrees w/ 1.9 and that seems to get my dipstick about right ... so thats what I use.
The book numbers are only a starting point, you'll always need to check/top up according to your dipstick or sight glass.

Mine's an '05. 1.9L is way too little. Last change I used 1.6 + 0.5 = 2.1L. It took much longer to bleed the frame and still required 0.1L added to bring it up to full. Next change I will use 1.6 + 0.6 = 2.2L and it should be sweet.

An interesting parallel with Hinckley Triumphs here. They churned out so many of the modular T3 series that the later crankcases were measurably bigger externally than the early ones, presumably because the casting dies were wearing out. Mine's in the middle of the production run; it takes a full 4.0L container rather than the stated 3.75L, which makes for a quick 'n' easy fill. I wonder if the later LC4s are experiencing the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
It holds 1.3 liters of oil. Is that .6l really that big of a deal ???? I would understand the arguement if it doubled the capacity, but is does NOT.

Yes I know the RFS is a higher strung engine ... only talking about oil capacity here.
A measure of oil's effectiveness is the number of good bits (technical term) left in it. A higher-stressed engine being worked harder will destroy the good bits in a small capacity of oil much sooner than a less-stressed engine with more good bits (oil) to start with. Does that make sense?

Also, a larger oil capacity typically allows for better cooling of the oil, reducing heat stress (damage) to the oil itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #93
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,836
You've got 1.3 to the engine , 0.6 to the frame and then the little shot to fill the spin-on filter could be the missing 0.2 L in the number.
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #94
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,361
Good theory, but I'm only getting 0.03 or 0.04L into the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #95
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
1.9L in mine (1.3 + 0.6) ..... warm it up ... let it rest ..... middle of the dipstick.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #96
nyc_gs
Lurker

Oddometer: 241
Throwing in a thanks

I have read the original post here (creeper!) about a zillion times. I then printed it out and read it another million times.

After all that reading I finally today did my first oil change on my '06 Adventure. 2nd for the bike. First was done at the 600 mile service by the dealer.

I wanted to throw in a huge thanks for the post Creeper. Certainly made my life easier as I felt prepared walking up the bike. :)

THANKS.

-- Jason
nyc_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #97
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_gs
I have read the original post here (creeper!) about a zillion times. I then printed it out and read it another million times.

After all that reading I finally today did my first oil change on my '06 Adventure. 2nd for the bike. First was done at the 600 mile service by the dealer.

I wanted to throw in a huge thanks for the post Creeper. Certainly made my life easier as I felt prepared walking up the bike. :)

THANKS.

-- Jason
Your welcome Jason. One less owner being held hostage.

As you are (were) a oil change virgin... is there anything that I could have added (or subtracted for that matter) that would have made it easier to understand and follow?

C
Old 12-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #98
nyc_gs
Lurker

Oddometer: 241
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Your welcome Jason. One less owner being held hostage.

As you are (were) a oil change virgin... is there anything that I could have added (or subtracted for that matter) that would have made it easier to understand and follow?

C
Honestly, no, not really. It's well written and the pictures help a ton.

The one thing I struggled with was where to find that damn rubber stopper! I finally found it at a place that sells chemistry stuff, test tubes and the like. Evidently those rubber stoppers are for the test tubes. :)

I also found them here:

http://www.indigo.com/science-supplies/stoppers.html

If anyone wants to buy a whole bunch of them. :)

I give the post an A+.

Thanks again!

-- Jason
nyc_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #99
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_gs
Honestly, no, not really. It's well written and the pictures help a ton.

The one thing I struggled with was where to find that damn rubber stopper! I finally found it at a place that sells chemistry stuff, test tubes and the like. Evidently those rubber stoppers are for the test tubes. :)

I also found them here:

http://www.indigo.com/science-supplies/stoppers.html

If anyone wants to buy a whole bunch of them. :)

I give the post an A+.

Thanks again!

-- Jason
To be fair, the rubber stopper thing was something I tried back when I originally wrote the guide. I was looking for a "zero mess" method, and it works, but it's a bit ah... busy.
The suggestion by another member (sorry, I can't remember who) to screw the bolt in almost all the way, start the bike and wait to see a bit of oil coming out around the threads... and then tighten then bolt and shut off the bike actually works pretty good. It's a tiny bit messy... but no where near as messy as the KTM by-the-book method.
I believe the individual that came up with that method had a 2002 and earlier bike with the smaller filler bolt, and by necessity figured it out as a viable alternative.

There is no perfect way to do it... just various ways that are, by degrees, less sloppy than the KTM method.

C
Old 12-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #100
AndyA
Trail Rider

Oddometer: 33
Thank you Creeper for a great thread I have done my first oil and filter change on my LC4 400 00 and it was so easy with this thread, I made the burp tool with a small funnel half inch clear hose and a nozzle from the end of a tube of mastic, it worked great. I was told by a few people to change the oil on this bike every 300 miles but the guys at the KTM work shop said every 3000 miles is fine especially as it is a 620cc engine sleved down to 400cc so the engine parts do not get a real battering, any thoughts?
AndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #101
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA
Thank you Creeper for a great thread I have done my first oil and filter change on my LC4 400 00 and it was so easy with this thread, I made the burp tool with a small funnel half inch clear hose and a nozzle from the end of a tube of mastic, it worked great. I was told by a few people to change the oil on this bike every 300 miles but the guys at the KTM work shop said every 3000 miles is fine especially as it is a 620cc engine sleved down to 400cc so the engine parts do not get a real battering, any thoughts?
You have the full oil in frame system, so every 2000 to 3000 miles is, IMHO, fine if you use a good synthetic... if you don't, I'd consider changing it out more often if you plan on keeping the bike long.

As the 400 makes less power and consequently has to work harder to do the same job as a 620/640, the "guys at the KTM workshop" are... what a fuckin' shock, wrong.

Wouldn't it make sense that a 400 gets spun tighter and more often than a larger engine? Sure, the piston speeds are lower if the stroke is shorter, but that is offset by a higher RPM to achieve the same result.
4500 rpm on a 640 might require 6500 rpm on a 400 to do the same work, so ultimately, which engine (and when I say engine, I mean the whole engine) gets the harder workout?

Have a groovy New Year... and watch out for them guys at the workshop.

C
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #102
JP4
Thumper Geek

Oddometer: 162
Thumb

Just got done doing the main shaft bearing deed on my friends '01 adventure. Then the hardest part of the job - oil change.
After squeezing the crap out of that bottle for a few minutes to get .6 liters into the frame, I decided to see what 40 psi would do. I poked a little hole in the bottom (now top) of the inverted oil bottle (with the hose coming out and into the frame) and stuck the rubber nozzle from my compressor into it.
Voila!
I thought the bottle was going to explode and shower me in Amsoil, but it held together and drained the bottle in just a few minutes. I'm sure there is some quality manufactured pressure feed system out there, but this worked quite well.

'01 LC4 640E 18L
'93 XT225
JP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #103
taffyscouser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Is there a copper washer under the frame drain plug that sits in the filter housing. Just done the oilchange and did not replace one there so wondering if i forgot to, it stuck to the frame and is still there or it dropped into the oil can??????
taffyscouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #104
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyscouser
Is there a copper washer under the frame drain plug that sits in the filter housing. Just done the oilchange and did not replace one there so wondering if i forgot to, it stuck to the frame and is still there or it dropped into the oil can??????
Nope... no washer.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #105
taffyscouser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Excellent news. Off to ireland for 8 days and did not want to drain it all again to put a washer in there. Thanks again for the advice and peace of mind. The Emerald isle awaits and some of the best Old Roads in the world. It will rain however.
taffyscouser is offline   Reply With Quote