Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Millwright98 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
SO looking at an '06 F800S ... thoughts??

Ok... I am a Vstrom guy and know next to nothing about BWM's....

After riding a Buell Blast for 6 yrs, the Vixen upgraded to a 750 Shadow a few yrs ago... she really does not like the riding position of the cruiser and is looking something different...local bike that is available is an '06 F800s with factory luggage and around 27000km on the clock, dealer maintained and around a $6k price tag (negotiable)....

She really likes the look and feel, but riding is not an option yet up here as we just got another 3 feet of snow this week...

Any pro's or con's to worry about with this machine?

thanks!
Millwright98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright98 View Post
Ok... I am a Vstrom guy and know next to nothing about BWM's....

After riding a Buell Blast for 6 yrs, the Vixen upgraded to a 750 Shadow a few yrs ago... she really does not like the riding position of the cruiser and is looking something different...local bike that is available is an '06 F800s with factory luggage and around 27000km on the clock, dealer maintained and around a $6k price tag (negotiable)....

She really likes the look and feel, but riding is not an option yet up here as we just got another 3 feet of snow this week...

Any pro's or con's to worry about with this machine?

thanks!
Downs:...Wristy riding position. Buzzy, brittle engine vibes the get worse with revs, hollow midrange for a 800ccc twin so it needs revving (see previous point) Belt drive may not need lube but susceptible to stone damage, lasts no longer than a quality chain but is way more expensive to replace. Bum basic damper rod forks & sqidgy shock a joke at this price point. Early motors may get piston slap.

Ups:.... good fuel economy. Nice optional compact panniers....

Buy a Street triple.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,078
I followed you here from the PU.

I'm an Ex BMW Tech. The S bikes were never really a hit in Canada or the world in General. That's why they were discontinued. An '06 is a very early model. There were leaking water pumps and computer issues but nothing out of the ordinary for the type. People preferred the ST for the luggage, wind protection and the handlebar setup. I converted 2 to ST's as per Customer request.

The bikes go cheap and are a hard sell. The good thing is that used parts are cheap and plenty on Ebay. The bikes get parted out a lot.

And yes about the hollow mid. The engine is set to rev, unlike the GS's.

All in all, not a bad bike. A lot of happy women owners. She'd need at least 2 hrs in the saddle to see if it really "fits' her.

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
There were leaking water pumps and computer issues but nothing out of the ordinary for a BMW.
Ftfy
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,097
Google "f800 piston slap", there was an engine issue in 2006-early 2007.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
CaribooBC
life is an adventure

Oddometer: 353
+1 on the piston slap issue. We looked at one last fall for my wife, it was an 06 as well, 54k kms. When the salesman started it my wife looked at me and said is it supposed to sound like that? This is coming from a lady who rides a dry clutch Ducati! We walked away from that one really fast. LOL.
BTW: The asking price was $5K with luggage, heated grips, new tires, new drive belt, etc.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

Timing chain rattle on startup is easily fixed with a new tensioner if that's what it was. I haven't researched it for piston slap being detrimental. Many high mile bikes out there. The first gen Jeep 4L engines went forever, albeit noisy at times. Raced the crap outta mine.

See what comes available between now and the thaw.........

Old 03-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
g34343greg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I've owned over a dozen different bikes: Italian, British, Japanese, and German. Parallel twins, v-twins, inline 3, inline 4. Standards, nakeds, and supersports.

The 2008 BMW F800ST is the worst bike I've ever owned. It doesn't have low end torque like you'd expect from a large-ish twin, nor does it have a screaming top end. The brakes are mediocre and the suspension is mushy yet harsh. It was downright embarrassing riding around on a bike with a BMW badge that sounded like the engine had a bucket of bolts bouncing around inside it. Supposedly this only affected the early bikes, but I guess not. I dunno if it was the cam chain rattling or the pistons slapping but that thing was a POS. I switched out the CCT to the newer version and tried a couple different weights of oil and none of it helped. A friend thought it was a diesel. It's that bad.

Spend your money elsewhere.
g34343greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here

Wow.

Can't argue cause I never went far on one. It's essentially the same engine as in the GS as far as the noisy parts go. The '08 engines (first MY in a GS) made a loud whirr until warm and the '09+ were fine with just a CCT replacement occasionally.

All in all, not a well received model, the S/ST .

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
I've owned over a dozen different bikes: Italian, British, Japanese, and German. Parallel twins, v-twins, inline 3, inline 4. Standards, nakeds, and supersports.

The 2008 BMW F800ST is the worst bike I've ever owned. It doesn't have low end torque like you'd expect from a large-ish twin, nor does it have a screaming top end. The brakes are mediocre and the suspension is mushy yet harsh. It was downright embarrassing riding around on a bike with a BMW badge that sounded like the engine had a bucket of bolts bouncing around inside it. Supposedly this only affected the early bikes, but I guess not. I dunno if it was the cam chain rattling or the pistons slapping but that thing was a POS. I switched out the CCT to the newer version and tried a couple different weights of oil and none of it helped. A friend thought it was a diesel. It's that bad.

Spend your money elsewhere.

I bet my brand new 2009 F800ST was worse than yours... I had people going by on the crosswalk ask if my bike was ok. "Hey, is your bike supposed to make that sound? It sounds like it's going to explode or something."

Brand f*cking new, $20,000.00 and I was utterly mortified.

You simply wouldn't believe all the things that broke, failed, blew, caught fire, leaked, peeled, corroded, shook and fell off mine. I won't even start with what has to be the worst ABS ever designed in the entire history of ABS.

I am still filled with deep hatred towards BMW to this day, 6 years later.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Smallj
Dirty Traitor

Oddometer: 31
I put 35,000 miles on an '08 ST and never had a mechanical issue. It fit me well and I had lots of fun on it.
Smallj is offline   Reply With Quote