ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Millwright98 OP
Adventurer
 
Millwright98's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Eastern Shore, Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 31
SO looking at an '06 F800S ... thoughts??

Ok... I am a Vstrom guy and know next to nothing about BWM's....

After riding a Buell Blast for 6 yrs, the Vixen upgraded to a 750 Shadow a few yrs ago... she really does not like the riding position of the cruiser and is looking something different...local bike that is available is an '06 F800s with factory luggage and around 27000km on the clock, dealer maintained and around a $6k price tag (negotiable)....

She really likes the look and feel, but riding is not an option yet up here as we just got another 3 feet of snow this week...

Any pro's or con's to worry about with this machine?

thanks!
Millwright98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
DFH
270 deg crank
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright98 View Post
Ok... I am a Vstrom guy and know next to nothing about BWM's....

After riding a Buell Blast for 6 yrs, the Vixen upgraded to a 750 Shadow a few yrs ago... she really does not like the riding position of the cruiser and is looking something different...local bike that is available is an '06 F800s with factory luggage and around 27000km on the clock, dealer maintained and around a $6k price tag (negotiable)....

She really likes the look and feel, but riding is not an option yet up here as we just got another 3 feet of snow this week...

Any pro's or con's to worry about with this machine?

thanks!
Downs:...Wristy riding position. Buzzy, brittle engine vibes the get worse with revs, hollow midrange for a 800ccc twin so it needs revving (see previous point) Belt drive may not need lube but susceptible to stone damage, lasts no longer than a quality chain but is way more expensive to replace. Bum basic damper rod forks & sqidgy shock a joke at this price point. Early motors may get piston slap.

Ups:.... good fuel economy. Nice optional compact panniers....

Buy a Street triple.
__________________
270 deg crank
DFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,078
I followed you here from the PU.

I'm an Ex BMW Tech. The S bikes were never really a hit in Canada or the world in General. That's why they were discontinued. An '06 is a very early model. There were leaking water pumps and computer issues but nothing out of the ordinary for the type. People preferred the ST for the luggage, wind protection and the handlebar setup. I converted 2 to ST's as per Customer request.

The bikes go cheap and are a hard sell. The good thing is that used parts are cheap and plenty on Ebay. The bikes get parted out a lot.

And yes about the hollow mid. The engine is set to rev, unlike the GS's.

All in all, not a bad bike. A lot of happy women owners. She'd need at least 2 hrs in the saddle to see if it really "fits' her.
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson, AZ, It's a dry hate.
Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
There were leaking water pumps and computer issues but nothing out of the ordinary for a BMW.
Ftfy
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 7,097
Google "f800 piston slap", there was an engine issue in 2006-early 2007.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
CaribooBC
life is an adventure
 
CaribooBC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 100 Mile House
Oddometer: 353
+1 on the piston slap issue. We looked at one last fall for my wife, it was an 06 as well, 54k kms. When the salesman started it my wife looked at me and said is it supposed to sound like that? This is coming from a lady who rides a dry clutch Ducati! We walked away from that one really fast. LOL.
BTW: The asking price was $5K with luggage, heated grips, new tires, new drive belt, etc.
__________________
PirateJohn, pay your debt: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
CaribooBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,078
Timing chain rattle on startup is easily fixed with a new tensioner if that's what it was. I haven't researched it for piston slap being detrimental. Many high mile bikes out there. The first gen Jeep 4L engines went forever, albeit noisy at times. Raced the crap outta mine.

See what comes available between now and the thaw.........
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
g34343greg
Adventurer
 
g34343greg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 11
I've owned over a dozen different bikes: Italian, British, Japanese, and German. Parallel twins, v-twins, inline 3, inline 4. Standards, nakeds, and supersports.

The 2008 BMW F800ST is the worst bike I've ever owned. It doesn't have low end torque like you'd expect from a large-ish twin, nor does it have a screaming top end. The brakes are mediocre and the suspension is mushy yet harsh. It was downright embarrassing riding around on a bike with a BMW badge that sounded like the engine had a bucket of bolts bouncing around inside it. Supposedly this only affected the early bikes, but I guess not. I dunno if it was the cam chain rattling or the pistons slapping but that thing was a POS. I switched out the CCT to the newer version and tried a couple different weights of oil and none of it helped. A friend thought it was a diesel. It's that bad.

Spend your money elsewhere.
g34343greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,078
Wow.

Can't argue cause I never went far on one. It's essentially the same engine as in the GS as far as the noisy parts go. The '08 engines (first MY in a GS) made a loud whirr until warm and the '09+ were fine with just a CCT replacement occasionally.

All in all, not a well received model, the S/ST .
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
I've owned over a dozen different bikes: Italian, British, Japanese, and German. Parallel twins, v-twins, inline 3, inline 4. Standards, nakeds, and supersports.

The 2008 BMW F800ST is the worst bike I've ever owned. It doesn't have low end torque like you'd expect from a large-ish twin, nor does it have a screaming top end. The brakes are mediocre and the suspension is mushy yet harsh. It was downright embarrassing riding around on a bike with a BMW badge that sounded like the engine had a bucket of bolts bouncing around inside it. Supposedly this only affected the early bikes, but I guess not. I dunno if it was the cam chain rattling or the pistons slapping but that thing was a POS. I switched out the CCT to the newer version and tried a couple different weights of oil and none of it helped. A friend thought it was a diesel. It's that bad.

Spend your money elsewhere.

I bet my brand new 2009 F800ST was worse than yours... I had people going by on the crosswalk ask if my bike was ok. "Hey, is your bike supposed to make that sound? It sounds like it's going to explode or something."

Brand f*cking new, $20,000.00 and I was utterly mortified.


You simply wouldn't believe all the things that broke, failed, blew, caught fire, leaked, peeled, corroded, shook and fell off mine. I won't even start with what has to be the worst ABS ever designed in the entire history of ABS.

I am still filled with deep hatred towards BMW to this day, 6 years later.
__________________
Never forget 911 * Je suis Charlie
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Smallj
Dirty Traitor
 
Smallj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Franklin Indiana
Oddometer: 31
I put 35,000 miles on an '08 ST and never had a mechanical issue. It fit me well and I had lots of fun on it.
Smallj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015