User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
onesaintsfan OP
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,299
Honda RC51 or Ducati 999s

Which bike would be best for a lard ass guy ( 6'4" and 270lbs) that has done one track day on his speed triple and now wants a bike that he can grow into on the track. I understand none of these will be comfortable but which would be the least painful?

This bike will still need to be able to be street legal for the occasional ride to the coffee shop or a spirited back-country sprint now and then.

I have always like the RC51. Its a Honda so its gonna be reliable.

BUT

I want to be in the Ducati fraternity. I think the 999 is beautiful. I have a great semi-local Ducati dealer. But the cost of service, parts and reliability of this bike scares the be-jesus out of me

So with that being said what do you guys think?
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Did you hit up TTRNO? I was in town visiting The Company Burger joint and by the time I was done I couldn't make it to the dealer.

On looks alone, I say the 999. She's just drop dead sexy.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 206
If you are serious about track days, find yourself a Japanese 600 supersport for as cheap as you can. You will crash on the track at some point. Much better to do this on a cheap bike with cheap parts than a gorgeous 999 with expensive parts. At every track day I've attended there are far more guys whipping a tattered 600 RR then a pristine exotic. Also track days are much more fun when you are not concerned with the cost of repairs.

If you need a 1000cc twin track bike get an sv1000.

If you are looking for a racy street bike that won't see track time, the Ducati is the way to go.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
CottonDuc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_tom View Post
if you are serious about track days, find yourself a japanese 600 supersport for as cheap as you can. You will crash on the track at some point. Much better to do this on a cheap bike with cheap parts than a gorgeous 999 with expensive parts. At every track day i've attended there are far more guys whipping a tattered 600 rr then a pristine exotic. Also track days are much more fun when you are not concerned with the cost of repairs.

If you are looking for a racy street bike that won't see track time, the ducati is the way to go.
+1
CottonDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
onesaintsfan OP
BigJohnHart

Price Range

About a 2005 in either of these bikes will be in my price range. Thanks for all the suggestions for other bikes, but I want something different but that can do what I want to do. I have researched and have narrowed it down to these two bikes. I am looking to spend $8000-$10000. This is NOT going to be a Track Day ONLY bike.

I am not looking to set lap records or be the fastest out there. I don't push it, I just like to ride the track. At $8000 +/- I can live with wrecking it but certainly don't plan on pushing it that hard. I still want to be able to enjoy the bike off track for short rides.

I just missed out on a RC51 @ TTRNO because I could not get down there in time or it would have been mine. I watch their used inventory every day along with BMW Baton Rouge.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Cool2 Honda all the way

The Honda will be reliable as you know, it is also a great handling bike once you have the suspension adjusted to suit.
I had a Ducati 999S~ red, ohlins suspension, very beautiful and quite comfortable as you can adjust the seat back and forwards plus peg position but ...it was the equivalent of a bat shit crazy woman
Warming up once the oil radiator sprang a leak and chucked hot oil all over the front wheel, brakes and tyre
It developed an electrical fault which meant the fans wouldn t stop thus draining the battery once the engine stopped. I couldn't leave it for any length of time with the battery connected
Out for a ride it suddenly started firing intermittently on one cylinder, imagine a performance v twin suddenly become ing a performance single and then revertingto being a twin, it's hard to describe the level of fear

It was expensive to fix each time but once done I sold it. Even then before the guy showed up I looked at her red bodywork and gold ohlins suspenders and wondered if I shouldn't give her another chance - I didn't!

I actually replaced her with a cbr600rr which has been great. I would go Honda RC51
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
If you are serious about track days, find yourself a Japanese 600 supersport for as cheap as you can. You will crash on the track at some point. Much better to do this on a cheap bike with cheap parts than a gorgeous 999 with expensive parts. At every track day I've attended there are far more guys whipping a tattered 600 RR then a pristine exotic. Also track days are much more fun when you are not concerned with the cost of repairs.

If you are looking for a racy street bike that won't see track time, the Ducati is the way to go.
Armor Bodies bodywork costs the same for a Ducati as it does for a Japanese 600. A few hundred bucks in track bodywork sure enhances my bravery when I don't have to worry about paying $900 to replace a mid fairing on my Duc.

Both the bikes mentioned are expensive track bikes, with the RC51 likely being moreso. The reason I say that is not for initial purchase price, but for finding parts. Want to buy some Ohlins forks for the bike? Good luck finding them. Want to cut some weight from the bike (the RC51 is a pig...I've owned two)? Prepare for a frustrating search limited to a less than half a dozen websites where you might be able to find a used, lightweight replacement part.

I can't speak for street manners of the 999, but the RC51 is amazingly uncomfortable (and this coming from a guy who owns an 848). The RC51 is also significantly heavier than the 999. As an aside, the RC51 was conceived to beat the 916/996/998. The 999 was conceived to beat the RC51, and it did. Handily.

If a twin is what you really want for track riding, I'd spend just a tad more and get a 1098/1198 or even an 848 (but only with the EVO engine). Parts will just as expensive as the 999, but they will be easier to find and the bikes are lighter than the 999.

If you just a want capable track weapon and fun street bike, stick with a Japanese inline 4. I demolished my '08 GSXR on the track and finding replacement parts was easy and cheap. Broken swing arm? $85 shipped, like new condition. Good luck doing that with a Duc or an RC51. ;) Just something to think about.
Road Program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post

I just missed out on a RC51 @ TTRNO because I could not get down there in time or it would have been mine. I watch their used inventory every day along with BMW Baton Rouge.
there's no shortage of RC51 for sale ... pages of hits on craigslist
https://www.google.com/search?q=RC51...en-US:official
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
onesaintsfan OP
BigJohnHart

Bat Shit Crazy (?)

Certainly don't need another one of those!

The main reason I am leaning toward the 999 is ergos. I think it may fit me better. I already know for my weight I am going to spend around $1500 for suspension work. Hate to hear about those reliability issues. Again, not worried so much about lap times but just need more on the track than my S3 can deliver. Was hoping to have it sold by now, so watching TTRNO and BMW Baton Rouge real close as it looks like Ill have to trade. $8K-10k is my top end. Hope to come in way less than that for a SP2 but closer to $9K for the 999.

Know anybody who has one of the above and wants a like new 09 S3 with only 4K miles and tons of extras? ?? ?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,635
No contest.

If it's only gunna be doing track days, I can't see service costs being an issue. I tend to think crash damage/ consumables would probably me more readily available for the Duke as well.

And hey, you already said you want a Ducati, so......

...just do it dude. You know you want to....
Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 561
Man....what a tough choice. They are both on my immediate dream bike list.

I would have to go with the RC51. Why? Nicky Hayden.

2004 Nicky Hayden Replica.
Throw on a full custom titantium HRC replica exhaust by Ladybird.
Bazzaz Fuel Module
Bazzaz Quick Shifter
Some BST CF wheels
Ohlins Suspension
Brembo Brakes and master cylinder
Moriwaki Rearsets
then send the motor off to Dan Kyle.

Pure Sex...end of story.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #12
Ick
Tustom User Citle

Oddometer: 53
Had an RC51. I had it as my 3rd bike, rode it to hear the exhaust. Dumped some money into it, but still couldn't move like a 600. Wasn't as forgiving as any of the 600s I had - good luck trying to make corrective lines in midcorner with that pig.
But to stay on topic, even with the double radiator, I'd roll with an RC. Squided out donor bikes can be found for 3-4, depending on where you look. I got my SP2 for 4k, pristine with 8k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
if wrecking an $8k bike doesnt make you blink, than I'm guessing you're the type of person that can afford maintenance on a Duc. otherwise, go for a japanese 600, or even better, an SV. tons of torque for the track, cheap, readily availble parts, and easy to work on, relatively cheap and easy to get ready for the track. just upgrade the suspension and she's good to go. plus it's a twin. and you'll only lose out to the i4's in the straights.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
if wrecking an $8k bike doesnt make you blink, than I'm guessing you're the type of person that can afford maintenance on a Duc. otherwise, go for a japanese 600, or even better, an SV. tons of torque for the track, cheap, readily availble parts, and easy to work on, relatively cheap and easy to get ready for the track. just upgrade the suspension and she's good to go. plus it's a twin. and you'll only lose out to the i4's in the straights.
But it's a bit disheartening when they stomp you on the straights like you threw out the anchor.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Ick
Tustom User Citle

Oddometer: 53
There's no shame in losing on the straights. Im more impressed with seeing riders taking correct lines and late, late, late braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ick is online now   Reply With Quote