User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,583
Duc GT-1000?

I really wanted one back in the day, while I was still making payments on my '07 GS. Then they quit making them

Maybe I would have gotten tired of it by now, if I'd gotten one back in '10, but that itch never got scratched. I've found a pristine copy, priced too high but that's how it goes, and I've got the bug all over again.

I'm 58 years old, and just had a knee rebuilt after a wreck, so a real sport bike is completely out of the question. But this one just fits sooo well, and I think I could actually spend more than an hour on it and still walk the next day.

Ever own one? They made a touring version - What was the comfort level after a long-ish ride? Is my insurance company going to think I'm out hooning on it?

Thanks in advance,
Kip
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 395
Yeah, there's one at a dealer down here. They are asking $13K for it with 2500 miles on it. MSRP was $11.5K new...
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

If by "down here" you mean 45 minutes north of you, that's the one.

And I'm thinking they'll take less.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Wasn't it troubled with bad fueltanks?
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
Tnbrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Prices

Not relevant to US prices,but these are priced VERY high in the UK,weird how this sometimes happens with bikes that are discontinued because they didn't sell.
Tnbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 AM   #6
LDOCDR
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My best friend has one that he's owned since new and loves it. Rides it almost every day. He's our age. Insurance on my 1198 is pretty cheap....I would think the GT would also be fairly inexpensive.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Thumb Got one...

I have had my 2007 GT since 2009. Bought it used from my local dealer used for about $6500.

This is a wonderful bike, ergonomically it is similar to an R90S. I have ridden a few 600 mile days mixing backroads with interstate. Which can be a drag when the reserve light comes on at about 135 miles. The fuel tanks do get wavy but do NOT leak.

Go to: www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/
These guys have the bike pretty well covered for any question you may have. !CAUTION! the people on that forum tend to emphasize "customising" over actually riding. ,The other moment the low opinion that some of that forum's members of the GT versus their 'Sport' or 'Paul Smart'.

My bike has a few mods...
Napolean barend mirrors
Modified airbox lid
Modified stock mufflers
Icon shocks
Different voltage regulator
Ducati saddlebags

My GT has 15,000 miles on it currently and is in pieces. My son was riding it last year and put it in ditch. He is ok I am buying parts on ebay to try and get it back on the road this summer.

My opinion is that the Ducati bags are shit. They look great but leak moisture on a foggy morning, floppy and do not hold much cargo.

The only thing I have read about the GT touring is that the windscreen gives a ton of turbulence. Which with the high handlebars makes for a nervous front end.

Last summer when Jr. wrecked my bike, 2 GT's came up for sale in the Chicago area with low miles for under $7,000.00 each. It took weeks for them to sell. So wait a while and you can get a GT for reasonable cash, not $13,000.

Regards,
Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,430
You could probably come close with one of the new scramblers
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #9
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Always liked these and seriously considered buying one a few years back. They were selling for around $7k back in 2011, so I guess they're holding their value. Can't believe nobody's posted a pic yet.
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #10
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Had one for a few years, put 30,000 miles on it, sold it, still regret getting rid of it. I replaced the stock wheels with forged wheels, really the only must-have modification (the stock wheels are heavy and tubed). I also put Napoleans and Ikon shocks on it, just a matter of preference. I toured from Ohio to Lake Placid on it (2000 miles in a week) and took it to Deal's Gap. Put thousands of miles on it in the tight twisty roads of SE Ohio and West Virginia.
It's a fun bike to ride, and will inevitably lead to conversations with random strangers, often starting with "Hey, what year is that bike?". I have since bought an '06 SportClassic (which helped soothe the loss of my GT ), and the GT is much more comfortable. Great for running around town or ripping through the countryside. It's a pretty versatile bike...throw some soft bags on it and an aftermarket windshield, and you can take it pretty far. Hepco Becker makes a hard pannier rack for it (spendy, but more secure).
I wouldn't waste my time on the Ducati windshield or leather bags. Never used them, but I've seen lots of complaints about the quality of both, and they're more expensive than better options from other vendors.
As mentioned, ducati.ms is a great source of info on these bikes.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #11
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the great input!

I was thinking the asking price for the like new one in SoCal was $12k, and was hoping they had a little wiggle room. $13k is just over the top.

Wasn't really thinking of touring, per se, but I sometimes do day rides of 400+ miles, and ain't a kid anymore...can't ride a Sport 1000 or Paul Smart, and I prefer a naked bike.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
tennmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Lusted too

I wanted a GT back in 08 but I saw them sharing the fuel tank expansion problems and was disappointed so I found a Sportster 1200R which I kept for over 6 yrs which is good for me. I now have a 2013 Bonneville T-100 and got another 1200R, still wish I could have a G
Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Bought a new one several years ago (black and tan), put ducati cast wheels, marving exhausts and replaced the front fork. Rode it for a few years but never really bonded so I sold it. It just didn't do anything for me. It was my solo ride. Fortunately did not have gas tank issues.
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
Always liked these and seriously considered buying one a few years back. They were selling for around $7k back in 2011, so I guess they're holding their value. Can't believe nobody's posted a pic yet.

I just can't get over how the back end looks on the "Classic" GT. But then I suppose I'm biased.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
You could probably come close with one of the new scramblers
Actually, I've got a deposit on one, and can't wait till it gets here next month! But it's also noticeably smaller, and I don't expect to do many of those 400 mile day trips I mentioned