Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #136
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I had a cb700s dont mind my duct tape blinker fix

Great bike. A few friends of mine had them at the time. Great all rounders.
The Euro CBX 750 version was way cool also and with less weight and more power (91 bhp) outperformed the 750 Inteceptors Honda was flogging as its premier sportbike of the day!

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #137
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Great bike. A few friends of mine had them at the time. Great all rounders.
The Euro CBX 750 version was way cool also and with less weight and more power (91 bhp) outperformed the 750 Inteceptors Honda was flogging as its premier sportbike of the day!
I have one of those, red as well.

I got it last year pretty tatty but I just got it running and have done about 3k miles on it pretty much flat out.

This was as i got it with my youngest daughter and my sister, before the exhaust etc was fitted, ignore the surrounding mess

Oh and I also have the vf750f's which were the interceptors and they are complete garbage in comparison.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #138
ganze OP
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 441
I loved that bike and wished we got it here in the us when it came out but we didn't.

good stuff.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #139
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,381
Customs from MOTO GP 09

I do not get over to Road Warriors very often.

I took these pictures at Moto GP Indy 2009. I was walking back to the campground from the track and these were parked on the sidewalk across the street from the track.

Parked next to it

While I was taking these pictures, I hear a crisp sounding six cylinder engine coming down the street. His head just about came off his shoulders when he spotted the parked bikes. That riders CBX.

It is rare to see any CBX, But 3 in one spot, Is just cool.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #140
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
I do not get over to Road Warriors very often.

I took these pictures at Moto GP Indy 2009. I was walking back to the campground from the track and these were parked on the sidewalk across the street from the track.

Parked next to it

While I was taking these pictures, I hear a crisp sounding six cylinder engine coming down the street. His head just about came off his shoulders when he spotted the parked bikes. That riders CBX.

It is rare to see any CBX, But 3 in one spot, Is just cool.

The Honda 6 is a wonderfull thing. In the 15 yrs and 4 CBX's I had, I could never get mine to handle well, the front end and swingarm were just not up to the sheer girth. Of these 3 bikes above, I think the middle grey one would have the best ability to navigate a corner, as it's a 81 or 82 Pro Link rear system.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #141
Hog Rider
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
The Honda 6 is a wonderfull thing. In the 15 yrs and 4 CBX's I had, I could never get mine to handle well, the front end and swingarm were just not up to the sheer girth. Of these 3 bikes above, I think the middle grey one would have the best ability to navigate a corner, as it's a 81 or 82 Pro Link rear system.

Steve
The middle bike is a 1982, I know that because 82 was the only year with a rear grab handle behind the seat.
Question for you, What years were the CBX's that you owned. I have yet to ride my 82.
For me the handling is much less of an issue, since Its stable mates are an Electra Glide and R 100/7. If I want outright handling, I have my Buell.
I plan on doing some GT style riding on mine when I complete it during this winter season.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
Old 01-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #142
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
The middle bike is a 1982, I know that because 82 was the only year with a rear grab handle behind the seat.
Question for you, What years were the CBX's that you owned. I have yet to ride my 82.
For me the handling is much less of an issue, since Its stable mates are an Electra Glide and R 100/7. If I want outright handling, I have my Buell.
I plan on doing some GT style riding on mine when I complete it during this winter season.

I've owned 3 early '79's, and a '80. Of course, the '79's had the vinyl swingarm bushings [can you say mush mush], and of course they all came equipped with those great looking but loose assembled Comstar wheels.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #143
Hog Rider
The Professor

Quote:
I've owned 3 early '79's, and a '80. Of course, the '79's had the vinyl swingarm bushings [can you say mush mush], and of course they all came equipped with those great looking but loose assembled Comstar wheels.

Steve
I wonder if the guys who uprated the early bikes in my pictures changed the swingarms when they changed the wheels. The forks still look like stock.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #144
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post

I had a ride on one back in the day in Germany. A nice bike I recall.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #145
ganze OP
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 441
this z1300 is interesting to me

this too
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #146
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post
ooh, Wes Cooley rep. Saw Wes on the original back in the day.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #147
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Some great bikes pictured here and glad to see the CBX marq represented. I have two myself, an early 79 with 56,000 on it and an 82 with 99,548 miles on it (I love Amsoil). I did what anyone would do for an old bike, wanting to (mostly) maintain the original scheme and intent of the designers and keeping the swingarm and front fork tubes. I have 'original' Konis on the 79 and ProSus springs up front with 20w fork oil and a fork brace. K&N OEM fitment air filter. EBC pads and Galfer SS braided brake lines. I also raised the fork tubes about a quarter inch and I believe it handles quite well. I surprise a lot of riders in the twisties on it and on my 82. Similar add ons to the 82, K&N air filter, SS brake lines, EBC pads, EBC rear rotor, fork brace, ProSus springs up front with 15w oil and a ProSus gas monoshock to replace the rear Prolink OEM air unit. Of course, much better tires are available these days and they almost make up for having the OEM Comstars. I actually like the early Comstar designs if only they were wider. With the stock arm and forks I have to run a 100/19 in front on both and a 120/18 on the 79 and a 130/18 on the 82. What I believe is most important is the enjoyment of riding an old bike is to RIDE it. No garage queens for me. I even tour on these old sixes. My only problems on tour have been rear tire replacements and once the low beam filament on the 82 burned out...
Attached Images

Sport screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 10:50 PM
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #148
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
The 82, my preferred touring mount.
Attached Images

Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #149
9thStreetCycles
n00b

Oddometer: 1

First post here guys. I absolutely love this category of bikes. I'm a zrx owner and having been wanting to get another to build something exactly like this.
9thStreetCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #150
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:

Steve
The vinyl bushing can, of course, be replaced with some proper brass bushings. My '72 CL450 also has vinyl bushings.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote